2.0 sdi won’t start.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Sifu
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

2.0 sdi won’t start.

Post by Sifu »

Had issues with the van. I made the mistake of turning the key straight on , not allowing any warm up time and it didn’t start. Turned it off tried again and nothing. Will turn over but won’t fire. Took to a garage who couldn’t find any codes thrown up . They changed the fuel lift pump but it’s not cured it. I can get it started with a dose of easy start and then as long as I let it warm up it will start but it’s not running smoothly. Today it cut out whilst I was driving it managed to bump it back into life. I thought it might be the 109 relay but it appears I don’t have one on this engine ( 09 2.0 sdi ). I m running out of ideas any help would be great.
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Re: 2.0 sdi won’t start.

Post by C Chis »

Have you ran a scan on the van yet, if not then I would start there...

It could be your glow plugs have failed and it’s now not starting as the weather is colder!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

You can check your glow plugs quite easily, they should have a resistance of <1 Ohm, starting to fail if they are >1 but <5 Ohms and need replaced if > 5 Ohms or open circuit.

2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

Sifu
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sifu »

Van scanned code free apparently. I don’t think it’s glow plugs as when is does fail it won’t start again no matter what. As if there is something stopping the fuel from coming through. Also it cut out whilst running so glow plug weren’t in play then, I m guessing.
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Ah, doesn’t sound like glow plugs then. Let us know you get on...

Oskai
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Oskai »

Is it smoking when running? Could be injector seals as when they're gone it won't start very well when it's cold
Sifu
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sifu »

No sign of smoke either. If it had a 109 relay I would say it was that as other things I ve read suggest these are an issue but this engine doesn’t appear to have one. Bit of a head scratcher. Thanks for the help anyway.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

What is this 109 relay you talk about?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Sifu
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sifu »

Well from what I read there is a relay that controls the fuel pump ( has 109 printed on it ) . That is prone to packing up and can cause the same symptoms as I ve got. This is purely from google searching so could easily be wrong. From what I surmised this controls the signal to the fuel pump and when it plays up you get no fuel through.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

When you turn your ignition on, do you hear the pump prime the fuel system?
Try it a few times first thing in the morning, about 30 seconds apart.

If it starts to sound as though it's struggling after the their time, you might have a problem with fuel returning to the tank which is very common.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Sifu
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sifu »

Just tried that . It sounds the same each time. The garage did replace the lift pump in the tank.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Ok, if you are hearing you pump prime up each time, I'm gonna say your relay is fine.

Sifu
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sifu »

Any ideas what it could be.
Lcm evolution
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (74bhp)

Post by Lcm evolution »

Hi there,

is the cambelt ok ,?
iv seen some stretched so much that the torsen value comes so far out it wont fire as the cam sensor is seiing bad readings,

does it fire and stay running on idle ?
Sifu
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sifu »

Will start and run on idle if it’s been used recently but if it’s been left a few hours it won’t start. Seems to lock out . Only way to start it is with easy start if that happens.