Arcing starter!! HELP

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Ac490
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Arcing starter!! HELP

Post by Ac490 »

Hi caddy owners

So my caddy 1.6 tdi has an intermittent fault with its starter can anyone shed some light on it? So sometimes when I go to start my van it won't start and you can hear a cracking sparking noise from the starter. Got my wife to turn the key one of the times it did this an I looked under the bonnet. There was blue sparks dancing off the starter. I have removed the starter and disassembled it cleaned everything rebuilt it. It then worked for a while. Then it's gone back to doing this now and again a few times since. A tap on the starter with a hammer and it starts . But it's annoying. And this time of year isn't nice laying on the wet ground to give it a tap to get it started . When I had starter off I used jump leads to test it and it spun up nice and kicked out the starter pinion fine. ? Oh I have also replaced the battery with a bigger beefier one and the starter is still the same can work for weeks if not months then suddenly for a few days arcing and won't start until you give it a tap So anyone have any ideas or have had this issue??

Thanks
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Arcing starter!! HELP

Post by Doc »

Are the power terminals clean?
You might find if it's been arcing it will have eroded the terminals a bit and this can cause a bad connection.
The main power terminal is done up tight on it and not just bound up on some arc snots?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Ac490
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Arcing starter!! HELP

Post by Ac490 »

Thanks for reply once I get some better weather I'll get the air box out again and I'll check everything over clean all connections and check it's all tight

Thanks
Last edited by dan@biali on Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote