My ex British Gas conversion

Show off your caddy
robblowen
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: My ex British Gas conversion

Post by robblowen »

With last year being a bit of a write off, working balls out with the threat of redundancies, furlough, pay cuts and zero over time. I had no time or money to spend on the van. Things have started to pick though now so I can get back on track. First off I picked up some roof rails and cross bars, they're rated to 75kg although I'm not convinced about the cross bars, might upgrade them later down the line? I think they really help change the look of the van and make it look a bit less gassy!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Second edition was to give a bit more privacy in the back, so I picked up some Van-x curtains for the sliding doors and barn doors, they seem like good quality and keep out plenty of light. Now I can get rid of the old black vinyl from the barn doors and tint them, without worrying if I've left any gear in the back! The only downside I've noticed is the press studs rattle when driving, it's only quietly and other people in the van havent noticed. It'll drive me mad though so I've been looking at solutions, I read about melting a tiny bit of wax into the centre which holds them together better, but I might try something a bit more permanent and try a drop super glue?ImageImageImageImage

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

I managed to find some maxi life door cards from a German seller on Ebay for a steal, they came yesterday so I made a start on carpeting them. Got the offside done this morning, split it along the plastic welds, cleaned up, carpeted and re-welded. The thickness of the carpet was putting a lot of pressure on the original welds so I added extra welds all around the edge of the inner panel, seems to hold it together nice and solid! Looking forward to doing the other side as it really changes the feel in the back!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ripley55
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Ripley55 »

@robblowen That's a really tidy bit of work mate :D
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

@Ripley55 Cheers man, it definitely turned out better than expected, one more to go!

charlie-
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by charlie- »

Where did you get the roof rails? Looking for a set for my BG caddy too
robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

@charlie- I got them off ebay mate, they are rated to 75kg although I'm not sure about the cross bars once they're extended to fit. 302509578795 is the ebay number if you want to have a look.

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Managed to get the near side sliding door panel covered this morning. The near side panel had a small cover missing and I couldn't wait to get it covered so had to improvise! Really happy with the feel in the back now! Also received a heated washer jet loom from @tommyzoom, just waiting for the washer jets to be delivered now!ImageImageImageImageImage

charlie-
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by charlie- »

Which colour option van-x curtains are they mate? Grey/black?

Would you say they’re worth paying the £100 for the set?
robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

@charlie- I went for the Black/Black

For what I use the van for I definitely wanted the full set, im going to install a bulkhead curtain as well.

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Made some more progress tonight, the roof lining has been a work in (not much) progress for the best part of a year. Finally got round to finishing it off, well almost, I just need to carpet the 2 edge strips and fasten them in. I'm proper chuffed how its turned out!!!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Made some more progress this afternoon, got the side pieces trimmed and fixed in, also riveted the end trim to finish off the L-track. Really happy with the outcome.ImageImage

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

A few small bits done today while I had a spare hour. Swapped the heated screen button for a blank as my van doesn't have to. Removed the last of the adhesive from the chrome rear badge, washed the van then fitted the gloss black badge. Removed the black vinyl off the rear windows ready to tint them. Swapped the rear courtesy light bulb for a LED to match the front!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

kneecap
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by kneecap »

Nice work on the van. I think it took me nearly a year to do what you did in a few months . Looking to do the Life door cards as well for my rear seat conversion. It might be elsewhere on the forum but how did you get rid of the black vinyl on the rear windows? Was it a pain? Mine look tatty, but like the privacy, with bikes in, sleeping etc. cheers

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

@kneecap cheers dude, I made good progress in the first 6 months or so of having it but then it had to go on the back burner last year! Back on it now so hoping to keep ticking stuff off the list! I warmed the vinyl up with a heat gun just to soften it a bit. It left a lot of adhesive on the glass, so I cleaned that with WD40, then cleaned the oil off with some white vinegar, came up spotless in the end. I didn't want to take mine off until I'd got the curtains fitted, ready for tinting them now.