Caddy maxi beginner

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
JimmyMc
Caddy2k Groupie

Caddy maxi beginner

Post by JimmyMc »

Hi all, first of all I hope this is the right section to post in.

As the title suggests, I'm after a Caddy maxi and plan to convert into a micro camper with space to fit a couple of mountain bikes. I've never done anything of a customisation nature like this to a vehicle before, as you will nodoubt realise!,

Hopefully I can glean some information here and some of people's experience can rub off on me.

I was wondering...

• is there anything i should specifically look for or avoid when looking for a maxi? It seems like the 1.6 seems to be most favourable engine-wise?

• is overhead storage the same across the models? I got the impression that the ex-british gas cans had a different situation going on up there 🤔

• do all models have the seat attachment points in the floor somewhere? I was considering a set-up where I could add or remove a single seat as needs be.

• are certain iterations of maxis more customisable. Do the newer ones have less availability of after market items or spares to make the van how I may want it. I am moving towards something around a '14 model.

All the best and thanks.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Re: Caddy maxi beginner

Post by Scoobysrt »

Look into 1.6 injector issues, some don't get any problems but it's often the reason people stay away from the 1.6.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi mate, welcome to the forum

The only thing I’d say that you need to think of when looking for a maxi concerns the ex British Gas ones. BG don’t bother changing timing belts so if you end up with one, you may want to have that done if it’s due/overdue.
As far as I’m aware, all cab overhead storage is the same across the range. For rear seats, you can remove a section of the load space floor just behind the seats and you’ll find the footwells for the passenger seats. Plenty of lads have done this, have a look on some build threads for more information.
Any year maxi is customisable, I guess it depends on what you want, vs the spec of your van vs your budget. There are a few maxi specific parts like sliding door rail covers. Check the maxi specific section on here. You’ll have no issue getting any parts you need, for any year van.

Good luck in your search mate, let us know what you end up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Tothemaxi
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Tothemaxi »

Are you planning on sleeping in the van as two people and two bikes?

If so, that’d be a squeeze I think!
Vag wag
100BHP+

Post by Vag wag »

Take a look at a wav caddy maxi life.. ;)

lots of room and lots of already fitted extras over a bg van..

And if you buy privately usually cheaper,and well looked after..
Gumptree and FB are good sources.. :D
JimmyMc
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by JimmyMc »

Thanks for all of the help, that's very useful. Any little tidbits are helpful for educating me on what and what not to do!

It'll be more like one or the other. Possibly sleeping in there with one bike, but I do want it to be capable of both of those things, just not necessarily simultaneously.

Thanks for the heads up about the 1.6 injector issues, I'll look into that. I presume the 2.0l would be the preferred option over that then.

I've also seen a lot of people using Touran parts to modify their caddy. I presume they're just highly interchangeable and quite often good upgrades?

Cheers.
Last edited by Giddy on Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

I've just bought a 2014 Maxi Life 5 seater with wheelchair access ramp. It's just for bikes though. I think you'd find it suited your needs fine. With the 3 seats out you should get half a dozen 29ers in there with the wheels on, front wheels off with seats back in. The access ramp protects the back door and only takes up 4 or 5 inches. Hope some of that helps.
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

A few other reasons why Maxi Life (in my opinion) is a better starting place for a micro camper:

DVLA Class M1 so car speed limits in UK, don’t have to insure as a van
Rear glass, seats & belts already in
Already mostly soundproofed & carpeted
Most are specced with A/C, leather steering wheel, centre console, etc
Tailgate instead of barn doors as standard

Downsides are slightly higher price and then finding one that’s not WAV converted if you don’t want the hassle of removing the ramp.
2017 Blackberry Maxi Life 190TDI 6MT OEM+
Santiago 18” | OE Xenons | Limo tints | Wind deflectors
Remap 190bhp | H&R / Darkside lowering | TRC front & rear splitter | RKD side skirts
Android HU | Focal 2.1+2 audio | Dynamat | 4G WiFi | Wireless phone charge
Build thread here http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34095
JimmyMc
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by JimmyMc »

That's interesting, thanks. I did see a very nice maxi life the other day that I may well have snapped up had it been more local to me. Like you say, the extras would be most welcome and the tailgate sounds good, even if it does have the disadvantage of needing more space to open.

Are there any pros with getting a WAV model? Is it simply a maxi life with a ramp? It sounds like more of an inconvenience as I can't see me having any need for the ramp itself.

Thanks all.
Last edited by Giddy on Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

JimmyMc one thing I hadn't anticipated when removing the ramp from mine was the tailgate lock. The hook is fitted to the underside of the ramp. When I took the ramp out I was just left with a flapping tailgate, not clever! With mine I had to resort, at least for now, to replacing the lower section of the ramp flap (about 250mm high) to get the door latch back. Really needs a cleverer, neater idea but not easy with the whole centre floor section AWOL :mad:
JimmyMc
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by JimmyMc »

Hi again folks,

Still looking for a van, just trying to find the ideal model.

Where do we all go shopping for vans? I have been keeping an eye on eBay and doing various van googling.

Any idea if the caddy maxi prices are exceptionally high at the moment, like other vans? They don't seem all that bad to my untrained eye.

Also, can anyone clarify the model years for the 1.6l injector issues? I have seen that it is from '11 to '13 but I have also seen people say that it is '11 to '14. It greatly limits what I can buy, so would be good to have it clarified.

Cheers!

James.
dandyer1995
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by dandyer1995 »

Hi James,

depending on budget look out for ex British gas or Sky. seem to have good service history Etc.

I used Car Gurus I think to find mine. Depending on Area i'd recommend Denbury Diesels in the south west.

All Vans are up a bit IMO but also can't see the Value of Vans dropping again anytime soon.
Frans
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Frans »

All 1.6 tdi models can have injector issues. However it's not that big of deal to have these replaced. Add a tune to the 1.6 and you will have the same power vs a 2.0 but better fuel economy:)
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

The 2014 onwards model mostly had revised injectors that are known to be more reliable, but obviously, not infallible. You can see the part numbers on top of the injector. New ones end with an S, old ones with a B. Don’t let it put you off too much though. I’ve replaced one in 4 years/40000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me