Newbie caddy shopping

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Boysie
Caddy2k Groupie

Newbie caddy shopping

Post by Boysie »

Hi all, newbie to the group looking for advice!

So I’m on the lookout for a caddy, this will be my 1st Caddy but I’m a regular to VW as I drive a T6.1 as a works van and mrs has a polo GTI

So basically I’m after a Caddy as a second weekend vehicle for me, as I’m going to opt out of private use of company van this year as it’s costing me a lot in tax for the amount I use it, and i also own a Renault 5 GT Turbo that comes out a bit in summer!

So I am looking to spend 5K max, it will probably only do about 1 - 2k max mileage a year, but I do like to tinker so will probably modify it a bit,

So my main questions are what engines are best remapping? I guess I’m going to struggle getting a 2.0 TDI on my budget, so is the 1.9 a decent engine, or would I be better with a facelift 1.6?

Also is there many differences between the pre and post faceflift models, other than physical appearances, i would like to be able to retrofit things modern oem media system, multi function steering wheel, maybe even heated seats, could I do this on a pre facelift model?

Tia for any advice, and any other tips you can think of when viewing Caddys

Thanks
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Newbie caddy shopping

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi mate, welcome to the forum.
You’ll have no issues doing the mods you’ve mentioned on a pre facelift.
Interior wise, I think the seats are different and the trim colour is lighter. Some lads opt to spray theirs darker, or maybe upgrade to Touran door cards etc.

The 1.9 is a good engine, but you do hear of a few that have thrown conrods through the casing. It’s important to look at service history - check for the use of good quality and the correct oils. Listen for any knocking or rumbling from the engine too.
I’m not sure what kind of power gains you can get from the BLS 1.9 engine.

You can get the 1.6 up to 140bhp with just a map. There’s a few running 200ish BHP, but you’re looking at turbo, intercooler, and possibly injector upgrades.

I suppose anything is possible if you throw enough money at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Boysie
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Boysie »

Thanks for the reply,

Yes think I will go for a facelift model, maybe stretch my budget a bit more to get one with lower mileage,
Are the 1.6 decent engines, think I read somewhere about injector issues?
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Yeah, they do have injector issues sometimes. I’ve had one fail in about 36000 miles. Some lads have had less luck.
Overall I’m happy with my 1.6, I would recommend the engine.

Rescue me from the swans in me
Cabbs
Hyper Poster

Newbie caddy shopping

Post by Cabbs »

Welcome to the forum mate.

Mines a 64 plate with 100k and no injector issues yet although i took the plunge and bought 2 just incase. I do service mine regular and change the oil and fuel filter every time. I also swear to buying an engine cover so there’s no exposure to the top of the engine and many will say the same although some think it’s a myth. Lol.

Mines remapped to just over 140 and I think that’s plenty. She pulls like a train. The mods are endless to the facelift as they are to the pre facelift but I just think they look a little nicer.

Work on getting your post count up and there’s plenty of Mods in the HOW TO section once you have full access.

Boysie
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Boysie »

Thanks for the info,

Seen lots of talk about engine covers, thought it was just to pretty engine bay up, but that does make sense, will bear that in mind👍🏼