Caddy Maxi 1.6tdi 2016 problem.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
blueboy
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by blueboy »

Went out in the Caddy yesterday & when joining the dual carriageway after about 10 minutes of running the power almost died completely. If I put my foot down it went into a very lumpy juddering & cut out completely but under 2000 rpm in 3rd it was still drivable just. I tried turning off the ignition while going downhill to see if it would reset but it would not.

The glowplug light was flashing & ERR was showing where the trip usually is, I managed to get to the car park in town & after returning to the van it started perfectly ok & has not had any problems since. I have a cheapish code reader which I plugged in but no recorded faults found.

Something obviously on its way out I guess, anyone else had this & what was the problem. Any help appreciated.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Re: Caddy Maxi 1.6tdi 2016 problem.

Post by the swan fiend »

I’d say get it plugged in to a VCDS and see if that shows anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
blueboy
Caddy Fan

Post by blueboy »

Does not show anything at all. I have had it happen again today but again it seems to have reset & its ok again until the next time. Bit of a loss what to do.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

I’m sure a VCDS will scan more thoroughly and deeper than a cheap generic reader mate.
Any fault codes will be logged.

blueboy
Caddy Fan

Post by blueboy »

No Expert on these readers mate but I did take it to a guy yesterday who also plugged into the ecu, he had a laptop type of system, Found no fault codes either.

I really have no idea what it is but something is obviously nearing the end of its life, I guess eventually it will go all together then at least I will then know what it is. I am thinking its probably one of two things, injector or EGR but from what I have read the problem I have is a different symptom from either of those two items.

Will just have to wait until it get worse or fails completely, just hope I am not to far from home when it happens.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

I’m no expert myself mate, I’ve just picked up on bits and bobs I’ve read here and from speaking to people.
I find it strange that no fault codes have been logged, when the van has had a significant enough fault to throw up a warning message and a light. It sounds like it could be one for the experts on here.
Whatever it is, I hope you get it sorted out mate

Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

If the glowplug light was flashing and err was on the dash personally I would start at the glow plugs and associated wiring.
Failing that you need someone with vcds who knows how to use it better so you can do hot and cold scans along with live scanning while you're driving.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Baldspeed Racing
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Baldspeed Racing »

it could be the EGR cooler on its way out, but yeh defo get plugged in to a decent reader to show what faults its showing as it'll be less of a guessing game then
blueboy
Caddy Fan

Post by blueboy »

I think the guy that has just done the cambelt for me has a very good Scanning device, looks far superior to what I have & he has plugged in & no faults found either.

He just called me to say a new EGR from TPS is £438 with gaskets etc then labour on top. Certainly expensive to sort out, just hope it cures it.
Last edited by Giddy on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
Baldspeed Racing
100BHP+

The EGR's are a bitch to get to and to replace, I had similar issues to yours so looked at getting mine changed. Spoke to a lot of people and had the van on the ramp here at work and yeh not an easy swap, you'd be looking £800-900 for the full swap id say. Also got told the after market EGR's aren't as good as oe so could fail again soon ish.

I decided to go for an EGR & DPF delete and a custom remap which was cheaper and easier then buying the EGR cooler by itself. So more power, less to go wrong but I know its an iffy one for the MOT. But luckily my mate does my MOT's :D
Last edited by Giddy on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueboy
Caddy Fan

Post by blueboy »

Well I will just have to bite the bullet & get it done, I don't like the idea of more pollution than necessary, will get genuine VW EGR. The van has done 104000 so if the new one lasts as long I will not ever worry about it again.
Last edited by Giddy on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Egr valve fault shows up on a scan and throws the check engine light up.
I wouldn't be buying expensive replacement parts on a hope and a prayer but that's up to you, good luck let us know how you get on.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
blueboy
Caddy Fan

Post by blueboy »

Don't see what else I can do, no faults are coming up from the ECU just the glow plug light flashing & ERR on the trip display. Something is wrong for sure & I dont want to be a distance from home & it packs up all together. Rock & a Hardplace mate.
Last edited by Giddy on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Have you checked the glow plugs? As I said earlier if thats the warning light that's on that's the first place to check.

You need someone with vcds.
Baldspeed Racing
100BHP+

blueboy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:34 am Well I will just have to bite the bullet & get it done, I don't like the idea of more pollution than necessary, will get genuine VW EGR. The van has done 104000 so if the new one lasts as long I will not ever worry about it again.
thasts proper fair enough dude, hope it all comes good and not too harsh on the pocket. I had an injector go just before my EGR issue so an expensive few mths thats for sure