To pro or not to pro? (dodo mat)

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
PaddyMcCaddy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

To pro or not to pro? (dodo mat)

Post by PaddyMcCaddy »

Hi,

Having spent the day looking at all sorts of sound deadening, I think we are leaning towards Dodo Mat.
The question now is, should we go for the Dodo Mat DEADN Pro or will the more standard Hex version be sufficient?

I don’t want to spend money where it’s not needed, but feel this is something worth getting right first time.

Also, has anyone used the Dodo Barrier MLV? We are thinking of using this in the rear foot wells under carpet and also on the van floor under the ply and vinyl.

All thoughts on this are very much appreciated, as I’m nervous about doing anything which is going to lead to rust or unnecessary expense.

Many thanks
Gary.8
Twin Turbo poster

Re: To pro or not to pro? (dodo mat)

Post by Gary.8 »

I've used the dodo mat deadn (silent coat) and found it adequate enough along with dodo super liner topped with plastic recycled loft insulation.

As for the dodo barrier MLV I wouldn't bother if you still have the BG heavy duty liner use that as it's just as thick as the MLV.
PaddyMcCaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by PaddyMcCaddy »

Thanks for the response.
When you say the BG liner, I presume you mean the thick floor board?
Gary.8
Twin Turbo poster

Re: Toffee delights

Post by Gary.8 »

It's the rubber floor liner that come with the BG vans...
The floor was one of the last thing I had to do after insulating everything else so I decided to see if the liner made any difference in noise level so took it out and went for a drive without it... it certainly made a big enough difference in noise level for me to kept it in.. so hope that helps .
PaddyMcCaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by PaddyMcCaddy »

Thanks Gary
I don’t think ours had a rubber mat in it 🤔 I shall have to check the shed tomorrow, might have removed it when we did the deep clean.
JimmyKombi
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by JimmyKombi »

How far you want to go? My Mk5 sounded like the inside of a drum once I removed the bulkhead.

As a musician myself I am of the opinion that once you have stopped something reverberating then you have stopped it, there is a point of diminishing return and after lining my Mk5 sides, roof and doors just with Dodo Thermo van liner and the floor with the gold floor liner from Harrison Trim supplies with a 9mm ply floor on top I would say I am really happy with the results and for just over £150 plus me carpeting the inside I can now have the radio low and a talking level conversation with no booming from the back.
PaddyMcCaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by PaddyMcCaddy »

That’s a very good point.
I’m only really looking to make it a bit more tolerable on long journeys, at the end of the day it’s a van and I never expected it to be quiet. It was fine prior to removing the bulkhead, so I guess just trying to get back to something close to that without spending a fortune.
JimmyKombi
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by JimmyKombi »

if that's the case then just stopping them from booming will be fine, I did the window apertures too and put carpet covered ply panels over the top. its really quiet back there now :D
Last edited by Giddy on Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
Wafflepug4
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wafflepug4 »

ive used dodo mat deadn (silent coat) too and I really rate it TBH. I noticed this difference instantly.
I also put Dodo Mat Thermo Liner Insulation over the top of it too, so that may of had some help.
But the van is much quieter than my car, hardly any road noise, and when you close the sliding doors they all sound solid with no tinny sound.
PaddyMcCaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by PaddyMcCaddy »

Thanks everyone.
I like the idea that it will reduce the sliding door noise, as I’m always worried we’ll upset the neighbours on early morning starts.
The van is back in the garage again, so currently deciding if we should use the time wisely and get the dodo mat on order, or wait and see how much it’s going to cost to get the van back on the road first 😬
PaddyMcCaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by PaddyMcCaddy »

Just looking at what I'd need to order for the dodo mat sound deadening, would 40 sheets be enough for a maxi van if I'm going down the 'keep it light, but as effective as possible' route. Apparently it covers 40 sq.ft.
I can't go and measure as it's looking like we will be without the van for at least another week 😢
Wafflepug4
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wafflepug4 »

I bought 40 sheets of the silent coat and still had like 10 sheets of it left at the end.
Wafflepug4
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wafflepug4 »

a tip when applying , use a wallpaper seam roller to press it down, or if you don't have one, try to wear gloves. The foil edge is super sharp, and i didn't wear anything and found out the hard way when I noticed that my fingers had lots of slices all over them.
PaddyMcCaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by PaddyMcCaddy »

Thanks Wafflepug for the tip, I’ll see if I can find a roller.
ransomz0
100BHP+

Post by ransomz0 »

Wafflepug4 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:22 pm I bought 40 sheets of the silent coat and still had like 10 sheets of it left at the end.
was this for the caddy maxi ?

If the walls are sound deadened and then some insulation applied over this is it necessary to ply before putting on the carpet or can carpet be applied over sheets of insulation ? I am worried the insulation sheets will be too spongy.
Caddy Maxi C20 Startline 1.6TDI 2015 Mk4 facelift
Ex BG