What is a must

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Carolthecaddy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

What is a must

Post by Carolthecaddy »

I’m new to the Caddy world - Carol is my first Caddy and will slowly be converted to a camper.

What is one thing you would advise a newbie to do or something you couldn’t live without on your van?
Ripley55
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: What is a must

Post by Ripley55 »

Decent Head unit, for nice Music, with Apple Car Play on it for Google Maps, and a Reversing Camera hooked up to it :D :D
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

The boring stuff is a must like oil and filter change, air filter change and cleaning the drain holes out under the windscreen then the rest is down to taste.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Wafflepug4
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wafflepug4 »

agreed with above, id give it a good service before you start putting money in it converting it, otherwise it could get forgotten about.

I'd also recommend when converting to buy some soundproofing (silent coat or similar).
I know some people skip this bit to save some cash, but personally I think it's really worth spending that little bit more and making it sound so much quieter and the sliding doors sound solid etc
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Yeah, sort the important stuff first. Service, cam belt, MOT.
If any part like tyres, suspension etc are at the end of their life, think about what you’re aiming for…..no point in replacing standard tyres to then put 18s on in a few months.

If converting to a camper, first thing is silentcoat or similar (doesn’t stick to the roof in my experience) then dodo mat and recycled bottle insulation.
Looking through peoples build threads is great for ideas and inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Carolthecaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Carolthecaddy »

Thanks very much really helpful.

So I’d done a bit of research prior to buying and the majority that has been mentioned is already done

Cam belt and water pump replaced
Full service
Bulk head removed
Sound deadened
Bottle glass insulated, ply lined and carpeted with some spot lights on the roof

Think I’m going to look for some alloys but I’ve no idea where to start or what size I can put on - any suggestions welcome
Jono1
200BHP+

Post by Jono1 »

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

You can check on there when you find what you like
Exuptoy
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Exuptoy »

Generally any genuine VW 5x112 stud pattern alloys (ET somewhere around 45-47) up to 18” should fit without issue.
This site is handy to check what size standard wheels are.
I’ve seen 19” AMG Merc rims on a Golf but I think the 37 ET might set them out too far for the sliding door. Also the centre bore at 66.6mm would require hubcentric adaptor spacers.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/