2012 Caddy - The Silver Cloud

Show off your caddy
Darkblade
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

2012 Caddy - The Silver Cloud

Post by Darkblade »

Ok, so following on from my introduction thread I purchased a 2012 Caddy, 1.6TDi (102) with 120,000 miles on the clock. It's just had it's cambelt changed, serviced and went through it's MOT.

The van has had some nice modifications, but after researching for the van and looking through the awesome threads and vans on here I've got a few ideas of my own. It will be a daily driver as well as a weekend warrior for some water sports and biking activities, until my new car comes through in about 18 months time. So most mods can't be major as I need the car on the road, I'm also not technical so anything either electrical or mechanical will be done by trades people. I live in Cheshire so any recommendations welcome. I'll post pictures via Tapatalk next but initial mods list is:

1 - Rear seats to match front;
2 - Head Unit Upgrade (with reverse camera, dash cam, microphone) and upgraded speakers/tweeters.
3 - Steering wheel with MFSW (integrated into head unit)?
4 - Pedal covers
5 - Options for glove box/dash box covers;
6 - Alcantara headlining and trim on dash board (maybe piano black trim or carbon fibre);
7 - internal lights with separate switch;
8 - Aux. Heater & leisure battery install;
9 - Side window install into sliding door, tinted.
10 - rear bumper and exhaust upgrade (aesthetic)
11 - Side rails (maybe)
12 - dials/gauges

I will be putting each upgrade into my thread as I do some work, but as said above local installers that have done good work or are recommended will be greatly received!
Silver 2012 Caddy, 1.6 TDI (102) => remapped to 150bhp, Koni Shock Absorbers, Golf R Mark VII seats, 18" Compomotive Motorsport wheels, Hybrid Bumpers, 6-speed, upgraded audio
Darkblade
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: 2012 Caddy - The Silver Cloud

Post by Darkblade »

Photos of the Silver machine!

Silver 2012 Caddy, 1.6 TDI (102) => remapped to 150bhp, Koni Shock Absorbers, Golf R Mark VII seats, 18" Compomotive Motorsport wheels, Hybrid Bumpers, 6-speed, upgraded audio
Darkblade
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Darkblade »

The van has Ohlins fitted to the front but not to the rear, I found these in the back though.......

Silver 2012 Caddy, 1.6 TDI

Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

Yep, that's what I was expecting. Ohlins don't do Caddy specific kit, so this from Golf mk5/6 (same front suspension as Caddy).
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
Darkblade
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Darkblade »

Thanks @Giddy, someone else might want them via ebay though.

I'll have to read up on what kit you can put on rear to compliment the Ohlins.

Darkblade
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Darkblade »

Hi all,

I'm looking into replacing the steering wheel from the original, I'm trying to keep looking at VAG wheels, how modern can you go with steering wheels, can you retrofit a MK 7.5 golf wheel for example or is it overly complicated and stick to Mk 6?

Is it easy to add in MFSW controls (mine doesn't have any at the minute)?

Lastly, I'm looking to for auto-electricians (AE) in the North West who can carry out this type of modification if anyone has any recommendations?

Other electrical mods include internal LED lighting, fog lights and looking at DLR headlights and dynamic indicators - so a decent AE would help :D
Darkblade
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Darkblade »

So I started my non mechanical modifications, first thing was to change the tray for a smaller 'dash-box', a 2 minute modification that created more storage.

OEM part was £30 on ebay. Image

Darkblade
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Darkblade »

Swapped over the wiper blades and put a K & N filter in. Just thought I'd try it and see if there is a justified difference.

In theory also washable and come with a 10 year warranty. Image

Darkblade
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Darkblade »

I also had the head unit swapped over for a Kenwood DMX5020 DABS unit as well as sound deadening in the doors and a pair of JL C1 650s.

At the same time I had a forward and rear dash cam system installed, insurance claims are even more difficult these days and I'd rather have something to my advantage should the worst happen. Image

Darkblade
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Darkblade »

I then put some 'go faster' pedals, overall took me about an hour, 50 minutes on various hurdles that were put in my way!

I took a few photos of the accelerator when it was out which I'll post in another thread for reference, as it was mainly the issue around angle of the screwdriver firstly, them how to swap the pedal over.

I'm also swapping all the bulbs for LED.

I've picked up a non- MFSW that I'll look to swap, I just don't have the right size attachment for the steering wheel fixing.

It's also booked in for various service items next week, hopefully I'm not painting a sinking ship (metaphorically speaking!).ImageImage

Darkblade
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Darkblade »

I've swapped the steering wheel over, still with a non-MFSW, I might look at a MFSW in the future but the old one had a chunk missing and wasn't doing the van justice.

Had to wait while I got the right adapter to tighten the wheel once it was on, you tube was a great help with this and I would say a relatively easy upgrade. ImageImage

Jeremy Caddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jeremy Caddy »

Looking good. Most of those mods are on my to do list as well. Enjoying the thread. Does your radio unit have wireless car play? They seem to be thin on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Post by RY_VW »

Hi buddy just had a read of the build it's coming along well 8) for answers to your questions I'd start a new topic in the relevant category and theyll be a 99.9% chance you get the answer you're looking for :)
63 plate 1.6tdi startline in reflex silver
Colour coded-Audi s3 alloys-Seat leon seats-Van style roof rails-Needle sweep-cruise control.
RCD330-lowered on kw stx coilovers
More to follow 8)
Darkblade
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Darkblade »

@Jeremy Caddy thanks, being a on mechanic most of the mods are the easier ones!

I think the Kenwood 8020 DABS is the WiFi version of the one I have, I just wanted to spend the extra money elsewhere.

Jeremy Caddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jeremy Caddy »

Thanks Darkblade. You're right re the Kenwood 8020 DABS. Looks to be about £600. A lot of dosh but they both a capacitive screen too which is much better than the resistive ones I hear. The question is whether it's worth £200 to not have a wire to the phone . Hmmmmm
What do you think of the radio overall?