SWB MK3 1.9TDi Build thread

Show off your caddy
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Re: SWB MK3 1.9TDi Build thread

Post by C Chis »

Fantastic!

Glad you conquered the fear of cutting the bulkhead

Two of the best mods you can do for cabin comfort in my opinion!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
neil278
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by neil278 »

Definitely! Really enjoying the PTC heater at the moment and expect I’ll appreciate it even more as the temps continue to drop.

The fear was real :lol:

Thanks again for the help though Colin, really shows how valuable forums like this are and people on it ;)
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Cheers and yeah, it’s what forums are for!

If Carlsberg did forums….

2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Lister79 »

Great work, keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
SRAutoSolutions
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by SRAutoSolutions »

neil278 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:16 pm ...Really enjoying the PTC heater at the moment...
what did you get the heater from mate? planning on doing this to mine.
Last edited by Giddy on Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: reduced the quote
neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

The heater box came out of a Skoda octavia and the heater element out of a golf mk5. Very time consuming to remove the positive cable from the rest of the main loom!
neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

The heater box installed has an additional outlet which would usually lead to the glove box. I don’t have a glove box and no interest in fitting one so I ran hose to behind the passenger seat. This only blows the cold air or air con, so a great area to store drinks and food on trips away.

At the same time I also installed the air duct for the central console rear vent. This made installing the air rest a right sod, so I’m hoping I never have to touch it ever again :lol:

Designed my own switch panel that clips into the rear cup holder 8) I decided to undersize the outside dimensions and carpet it to match the rail along the false floor. There is a battery monitor, twin fast charge USB (2.4 amp each), switch for the 12v socket above, switch for the main lights and a switch for some led lights within the false floor area.

I’ve already run all the wiring to behind the drivers seat so all it needs is hooking up. I won’t be installing a battery just yet as I won’t really need it until April time next year but nice to have it all ready and waiting.

With the battery behind the drivers seat and the “cold area” for food and drink behind the passenger seat I needed to blank off the pointless vents to these areas. No idea why they are fitted as they blow on the back of the rear carpet :lol: either way I don’t want hot air in these areas so I stuffed some carpet in between the joints in the footwell and duct taped to outlet’s up to be sure.

And final job was a little blank for the usb on the RCD330. It not used as I rerouted it to inside the armrest, so just smartens it up!

The_Evil
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CNG (107bhp)

Post by The_Evil »

Wow, Neil!
This looks great!!!
I got last year a few parts to retrofit a Climatronic on my Kombi with no aircon, but the guy who should install it is a bit reluctant to proceed 'cause too complicated.
My question: how hard is the coding part? I miss a couple of senders and looms, but I think it should not be too complicated to connect it to the can-bus, is it?

Regarding the electric Windows, where did you find the wires to add?
neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

Coding it’s relatively straightforward. Option in engine and the other I can’t remember off hand but easy enough to find, also need to ensure the HVAC is in the gateway list. Van needed to be driven down the road as well and then the ac sprung into life!

I can’t answer for climatronic wiring as I fitted climatic and they are different I’m afraid but plenty of useful info on here👍🏻

Tommyzoom on here does the wiring kits for the electric windows, probably find his listing on eBay easy enough though
The_Evil
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by The_Evil »

Thanks a lot!
I've seen people around retrofitting the Climatronic, so I guess it is possible.
Still regarding the coding, is the Vcds cable ross-tech hex v2 enough for that?
neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

No worries👍🏻

Yes climatronic is 100% possible just wiring differences that’s all.

Yes all done with vcds
The_Evil
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by The_Evil »

The mechanic I spoke with doesn't want to mount the Climatronic, because he thinks it's too complicated.
He wants to strip the condenser from the Climatronic airbox and install it into the original, no aircon one.
I'm really asking myself if I should install everything myself....
I would be willing to do it, but I miss a few looms and some skills with the engine...
C Chis
Hyper Poster

SWB MK3 1.9TDi Build thread

Post by C Chis »

Apologies for jumping in….

Tell him not to do that!

The climatronic box is fully electric and additional sensors are required for temp/humidity as well as duct temperature sensors and he’ll still need to cut the bulkhead out to make it fit.

Fitting the right box is a 5 minute job once you’ve removed the dash and cross support, removed the old box and cut the bulkhead

It’s something you can do yourself with some basic tools and some help from this forum.

Made a lot easier if you can get as much of the donor climatronic loom as possible. There are only a few extra wires to the A/C compressor, relay and fuses if you have the heater-A/C box and wiring.

Your mechanic sounds like he’s never done this before and I’d stay clear of asking him to do this mod fit you.

I installed Climate control before the summer and I’m about to upgrade this to Climatronic with heated seat option in the next couple of weeks and happy to help as will a few other forum members.

Ps… the condenser is fitted to the front of the van, the evaporator is inside the heater box in the cab

Last edited by C Chis on Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

It sounds like your mechanic is not up to the job if you don’t mind me saying, although it sounds like he’s being honest about it. Assuming you mean the evaporator, can’t moved over to the original air box it won’t fit plus it really wouldn’t help anything. Once you’ve cut the bulkhead hole you just fit the new box in place of the old one!

I made most of the loom myself as it was just easier but you will need the heater box loom, as this just plugs in to the main loom.

Apart from cutting the hole in the bulkhead and tapping in the required wires it’s just a case of removing parts and fitting the new ones.

What parts do you have at the moment? Best to source everything first before starting it, my parts list is below if it helps

Heater matrix / air box
. Bulkhead grommet
. Evaporator drain hose 1T2 260 113 C
. Expansion valve
. Air box wiring loom
. Vent sensors (if climatic / climatronic)

AC pipe work 3 x pipes
. High pressure switch
. High pressure switch 3 pin wiring connector
. Brackets x 2
. Ac pipe torx bolts

Compressor
. Compressor oil
. compressor bolts
. Relay for compressor clutch (if hydraulic power steering)
. Compressor connector 2 pin wiring connector

Heater control panel
Aux belt
Condenser
AC Coolant radiator hose 2k0122051a (if hydraulic power steering)
AC slam panel sticker
O-rings - Heater box X2 Condenser X2 Compressor X2
The_Evil
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by The_Evil »

Yeah, sorry, I mixed the terms condenser and evaporator... :mrgreen:
He is scared by the electronics, having the old school mechanics mind set probably.
I'm really tempted to do it myself, but I'd need a closed space, like a garage, that I missed at the moment...
Thank you guys for your suggestions, much appreciate.