Covid caddy project

Show off your caddy
Jdfixter
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: Covid caddy project

Post by Jdfixter »

Just read through the whole thing and your doing a good job! im dying to give mine a deep clean and will hopefully have it back to my garage in a week or so, nice to find someone thats doing the same as me at the same time so I hope we can help each other out!
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

osborne18 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:41 pm Hi bud, I don’t suppose you have the part number for the bumper sliders?
Is this the only thing you had to change on the rear for the upgrade?
I’m sorry I don’t have the numbers handy- I tried zooming into all the photos I took when fitting them, but the resolution isn’t great enough to read them.
To install the Mk4 rear bumper, the sliders are the only additional piece needed to fit them. I’d suggest rear guard liners too- as mk3 have extra holes in them. If you don’t mind the un-used holes then they don’t mater.

sewi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:27 am Great stuff you got there. I especially like the Mk4 rear conversion as it is something I'd like to do myself.
Are those seats vented? If so, how are they connected to AC?
It looks great. I know you went with the Audi vents, but do you have any plans to swap the dash?
I find this process quite troublesome but it does look a lot more like a car afterwards.
Thank you.

The Passat R36 seats are not vented.
Regarding VW cooled seats, they do not connect to the AC. The seats simply house a fan in behind the perforated seat covers. They blow through the covers onto the person sitting in them to provide ‘cooling’.

Regarding swapping the dashboard- while I’d love to do a Touran swap, we never got them in an official capacity in Australia making them unavailable locally. I wouldn’t spend the money to ship a a dashboard to Australia as the Touran setup is starting to show it’s age a little in the shape of their design.
I have considered doing a full Mk4 Caddy dashboard swap.
But it would involve mk4 doors and door cards, as well as a digital heater box conversion. It would be quite involved. Due to the age difference between my Van and the MK4 Dashboard, I’m of the understanding I would lose functionality of some basic things due to the incompatibility of the body loom, ECU and the ABS module/Pump.
I’m still undecided if it’s worth the money and effort. Not to mention it would take my Van off the road for a significant amount of time while I carried out the dashboard conversion.
Jdfixter wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:26 pm Just read through the whole thing and you’re doing a good job! I’m dying to give mine a deep clean and will hopefully have it back to my garage in a week or so, nice to find someone that’s doing the same as me at the same time so I hope we can help each other out!
Thank you. I re-read my own thread the other day. I hope it’s interesting/entertaining.
I definitely recommend the deep-clean, it’s very satisfying to do, and makes the van a much nicer place to be. I wouldn’t be too worried about doing the work yourself, just take it slow and carefully remove the trims to allow access.

Update:
Thankfully some of my parts have arrived from Germany for the front end; I’m expecting the remaining brackets to arrive this week. With the public holiday I should make good progress toward a complete road going vehicle.

My Window glass arrived in a pretty little cardboard handbag and were thankfully not as expensive as VW glass usually is.

The good news is that they fit perfectly. I was worried there’d be a part of the body that wasn’t shaped to suit the later glass.

I’ve also sorted the RH lower guard bracket out- and I’m pleased it all fits straight up without any modifications.
I’ve since read a slightly earlier facelift mk3 bracket will be required for the bracket setup of the LH guard, unfortunately I already have a mk4 2 piece bracket on order. Time will tell how easily the other side bolts up and if I need to order another bracket

My Chassis ‘outrigger bracket’ has turned up for the RH side, somehow the parts department has managed to order whole rails instead of just the brackets I require.
To celebrate this mistake, I promptly dropped this heavy rail onto my foot, while wearing my work dress shoes- resulting in breaking my toe.

I currently have the headlining removed to carry out a conversion to GTI/R style black ‘flat knit’ fabric.
Like a dunce I ran out of Dye while halfway through converting the plastics to black, amazingly covid has lead to a shortage of the brand I was using. Being unable to complete the plastics I used the opportunity to finally install my 4k twin channel BlackVue dash camera while the headlining was removed.

I went with BlackVue again, after having their older 1080HD setup in my golf the last 7 years.

I should have more updates later this week.
Cheers all.
How many is too many Volkswagens?
Jdfixter
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jdfixter »

I’ve since read a slightly earlier facelift mk3 bracket will be required for the bracket setup of the LH guard, unfortunately I already have a mk4 2 piece bracket on order. Time will tell how easily the other side bolts up and if I need to order another bracket
I did what i think you probably did and just order parts from the diagrams! it was only when i got it i realized how much different the left side is! I believe its to accomodate the AdBlue or DEF Tank Mk3 facelift bracket is pretty much spot on!
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

You're exactly right. I ordered off the VIN of a 2020 van without thinking. It was only when I found a photo online of a euro model that I noticed the bracketry is different to mount around the AdBlue tank. I should have realised that, as I've worked on mk4 vans and filled the AdBlue for customer.

'D'oh'.

I'll be ordering a mk3 bracket tomorrow.

I did make good progress yesterday on the LH side as I had all the weld in brackets ready to go.

Hopefully some pieces arrive before the weekend and I can complete the RH side.
Last edited by Giddy on Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of previous post
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Well... Yesterday was a good day.

Both my big ticket brackets arrived.

The outrigger for the driver's side.

Here's the end piece removed ready to mock up before install

MK3 facelift passenger lower guard bracket.

Here it is painted and fitted

Thankfully that all fitted up fairly well.

So I spend the hot/humid/ wet evening in the shed to have everything welded in, painted and assembled by 11pm.

Just need bonnet related items and the front is finally finished.
I knew there'd be trial and error, as well as some wait time for ordered parts, but I'm really not keen for how long the van has been off the road.

If anyone is Melbourne based and wants any early Caddy front end parts or grey interior parts, please get in touch as they're basically going to landfill at this point. I'd rather see them keep someone's car on the road.

I should have more updated within the next 2 weeks

Cheers
Caddy1691
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Caddy1691 »

Hello, I would also like to install such a current bumper. Do you really only need the sliders on the right and left? The impact absorber remains the same?
Thanks for an answer
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Guten Tag,

Are you making reference to the MK4 (Newer) rear bumper?

If that is the case, yes just the two bumper sliders were all I required to retrofit the different style of bumper.

Given all factory mounting points are utilized and retained I think it would be safe to assume the "impact absorbing properties' remain unchanged.

It is important to note; my van has a locally made tow bar installed. This style of tow bar setup replaces the factory crash bar behind the rear bumper.
I am not aware if on a van without a tow bar the crash bar needs to be updated to match the newer rear bumper. I'd suggest perhaps looking at the 'Useful part numbers' thread under the 'How to' section of the website.

I hope this helps.

Tschüss
Last edited by Giddy on Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
Caddy1691
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy1691 »

Hello, yes it is exactly the mk4 rear bumper. I had read that the impact absorber is unscrewed to remove it and according to the parts catalogue, it also has a different part number. Therefore I was close to the bumper and the impact absorber being screwed on. The guides on the right and left are not that expensive and the bumper I have in mind even has the PDC on it. What I don't know is whether the plugs of my current, original PDC fit the new beeper.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Without seeing or knowing the details of your vehicle. I would suggest the parking sensors will not match up.
VW had very basic sensors in the early 2000s, by 2008 they made the move to a 'smarter style of beeper and sensors.
My guess would be that you would have to swap your original sensors into the new bumper
Last edited by Giddy on Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy1691
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy1691 »

Hello, my caddy was built in 2010 and is one of the last pre-facelift models. According to the parts catalogue, the numbers on the plug are different, but they look the same from a purely visual point of view. I'll probably just have to try it. I don't think you had a PDC from the factory if I saw the pictures did you take it correctly?
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

You are correct. My van does not have rear parking sensors. The mk4 bumper already had them fitted. I've just tucked the loom inside the van for now.
I'm looking into what simple stand alone 'kit' I am able to connect them to. For now they simply fill the holes in the bumper
Last edited by Giddy on Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy1691
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy1691 »

Ok, first of all thanks and I'll try my luck.
Because of your trailer hitch, you don't have the bumper on the impact absorber in that sense either.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Correct, as i mentioned previously.

Best of luck. it's quite a common swap and easy enough to do.
let me know how you go
Last edited by Giddy on Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy1691
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy1691 »

Many thanks. Will pick up the bumper next Tuesday and still have to order the other holders and then I'll have to see how I have time. I'll give you feedback and maybe upload a picture too.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Ok, Finally another Covid caddy YouTube episode. Have to play catch up with the video format to match the progress of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rR_k9-LgxM8

So my bonnet, latch and cable arrived the other night.

Me at 10Pm with the wipers mech and rain tray removed

It was at this point I discovered the bonnet hinges are different. That didn't stop me having it all mounted and adjusted.

Today the correct hinges arrived, and they were bent like a banana, so I spent an hour getting them back to what they should be.

Gaps are now pretty sorted, just need to make a bracket for the two mounting points on to of the guard to the vehicle rails, that will bring the front of the bonnet gap in line