Virtual cockpit in caddy iv

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Jay1182
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Virtual cockpit in caddy iv

Post by Jay1182 »

Stedlocks wrote:I've seen this video on youtube, but have no idea where you get it, or if its even what you want! Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WytRrhm0zfY
I enquired with them they said no

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

EricsCaddy
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (83bhp)

Post by EricsCaddy »

Hey, new member on here but long time caddy owner, Doc actually coded the highline dash in my 08 caddy 3 years ago :D

Anyway, I now have a 2019 caddy and have decided to spend the cash and see if I can make it happen using the YouTube links above. I’ve done it on a Mk7 VW Golf and see no reason why it wouldn’t work in a caddy, the clusters were identical.

To clarify I’m going to retrofit the AFTERMARKET virtual clock pit, not the genuine VW one to get around all the coding issues and to keep it plug and play.
2019 Caddy Highline, Heated screen, parking sensors, cruise, auto lights, virtual cockpit dash, custom blue seatbelts, heated GTE seats, GTE MFSW, climatic, rear camera, discover media nav, oem+ led headlights, GTE tartan doorcards, Audison sound system (project: highest spec highline :twisted: )
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Lister79 »

Looking forward to seeing the outcome.

But there is a big difference between doing it in MK7 golf (MQB platform), and a 2019 Caddy (PQ platform). A lot more is done over the Can system on the MQB, also MQB and PQ modules aren’t compatible with each other. Could be different for an aftermarket kit but I suspect they will be still manufactured for MQB’s.

Good luck with the project and keep the thread updated. The only way we progress with mods is by people taking the chance and trying these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

Sounds like you know a thing or two about them so that’s a bonus lol. I know what you mean and why everyone has said it can’t really be done but hear me out and possibly correct me :lol:

The company that sells the aftermarket digital dashes make them for pretty much every Vw from 2010 to 2021, so surely one will match up?

What I was going to do as it looked most similar was get the Mk6 Golf version, the clocks in the mk6 golf are the same as my caddy, so figured they would work.

Example here (hope it’s ok to link)

https://www.vw-retrofit.co.uk/wp-conten ... 079745.jpg

And the clocks in my caddy are identical screen and display wise
2019 Caddy Highline, Heated screen, parking sensors, cruise, auto lights, virtual cockpit dash, custom blue seatbelts, heated GTE seats, GTE MFSW, climatic, rear camera, discover media nav, oem+ led headlights, GTE tartan doorcards, Audison sound system (project: highest spec highline :twisted: )
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Lister79 »

I just know all the grief I had when I first started trying to do my engine conversion which came from an MQB vehicle, but that was using genuine modules so nothing aftermarket.

It’s a very interesting topic, and yes if it’s for a Mk6 Golf then it should work in your Caddy without any issues.

Please keep the thread updated with all the details and progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

The company do have a MK6 Golf R/GTi version https://rexsupersport.com/carbon-parts/ ... ter-meter/

I spent ages trying to get a regular MK6 cluster in mine and its quite a bit of work. The bottom part of the new cluster is going to be the biggest issue though as that will need a lot of trimming to fit, plus the Caddy trim that clips in there will either need to be modified or the bit it clips into in the dash will need snipping off otherwise it can't be clipped in.

The main issue though is the tabs you screw the cluster into the dash with are in the wrong place and need moving. I cut them off and glued them.

You can see the difference in this photo of the MK6 cluster in a Caddy dash (this has already had a sliver of plastic added to the top profile to fill the gap there).

The piece that clips into the bottom of the MK6 cluster needs quite a lot cutting off it and not sure how much there is spare to cut off the $1200 LCD one!

Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

That is interesting. Website says no coding required, wondering if this is some sort of piggyback to an existing cluster :roll:

There is a company in the Netherlands called Vd Veer Engineering who developing a virtual cockpit controller to work with any VAG. I've messaged them, but they said it is on hold at the moment due to component shortages.

@RKDesigns do you know anything about them, maybe local to you? Image
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

The youtube clips I've watched show the original cluster circuit board being removed and installed in the back of the new cluster which is probably why you won't need to code it.
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

Glad to see plenty replies and people agreeing it will work after all :D

The installation of the digital dash is fairly easy. It’s an interesting idea and worth watching some YouTube videos of fitting them and reviewing it. IMO it’s better than factory because you can link the digital screen in the middle to view your phone so can genuinely watch TV, YouTube, Facebook, caddy2k, etc etc all through the dash… while driving if your that way inclined :shock:
But that being said it’s aftermarket China special so won’t be as smooth id imagine.

For those that don’t want to look into it you…

Remove your original clocks and separate the plastic off the front, remove the old dials, screen and other pieces then place the virtual dash over the top of it and connect some wires to your original then refit, keeping all your original data, MPG, immobiliser, that kinda stuff, so plug and play!

This is on my to do list with factory xenon headlights retrofitted as well (which I’ve done on my 2008 caddy with facelift front end using 2014 touran xenons) and works faultlessly.
spacewalker
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by spacewalker »

Aliexpress also offer virtual cluster for Golf 6
You use genuine PCB, and just insert LCD board to genuine PCB connector.
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

And are we confident a mk6 cluster is identical internally to the caddy cluster?
Last edited by Giddy on Sat May 14, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
DubVrs
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by DubVrs »

spacewalker wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:15 pm Aliexpress also offer virtual cluster for Golf 6
You use genuine PCB, and just insert LCD board to genuine PCB connector.
Sure they only do petrol versions.
Cheifshagger
Caddy Fan

Post by Cheifshagger »

This will be a game changer if it works right
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

@Autokraft
I’ve seen a few people fit both, guess it’s due to the RPM readout being different and that’s about it, seems to function fine.
One other flaw would be it will display a Golf. it might be possible to request the China “Sports van” software they also sell.
Last edited by Giddy on Sun May 15, 2022 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote
spacewalker
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by spacewalker »

EricsCaddy wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:04 pm And are we confident a mk6 cluster is identical internally to the caddy cluster?
No
It not fit, shape different