Engines?!

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Danzini
Caddy2k Groupie

Engines?!

Post by Danzini »

So looking to get my first caddy, looking at 3-4.5k for one and just wondering what the recommended engine choice is from most? See a lot of people warning off the 1.6 TDI due to injector issues. Seen people saying the 2.0sdi is ass so is the 1.9/2.0tdi the way to go? Tia
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Engines?!

Post by Lister79 »

Hi welcome to the forum. I wouldn’t let people put you off the 1.6, I personally think they are a great engine, if looked after properly. I’ve had two 1.6TDi’s and never had a single issue. However, I know others that have replaced injectors, so you need to factor it into your budget. I’ve also seen numerous 2.0TDi’s (including MK4’s) that have required injectors.
Good look in your search for a van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
Danzini
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Danzini »

Hi, thanks for the balances reply! Don't seem to get many of those, I have seen good things about the 1.6 but the injectors seem to crop up more often that other issues. Might just have to see what van fits the bill when I see it. Cheers
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Lister79 »

No problem. It’s like everything in life, people always focus on the bad things and are generally quiet when all is ok. Then you get people jumping on the info with no first hand experience, which doesn’t help.

2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
Jimjam
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jimjam »

I have only had my caddy a short while so.I can't really.comment on the reliability side no e is the 1.9 tdi but I am impressed with it on the fuel.econemy. A bit like yourself I was looking at different specs and originally I wanted a maxi but in the end I just bought the best Caddy overall within my budget and it was a 1.9 swb and I absolutely love it
Last edited by Jimjam on Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

I’ve got a 1.6, it’s decent on fuel, has enough poke if you don’t want to drive it like a loony and reasonably reliable IMO.
I’ve had mine just over 5 years and put 50k miles on it (now at 130k) and I’ve had 1 injector go in that time. I’ve had the clutch master cylinder replaced - which is a weak spot on the caddy. I’ve also had a clutch, and and EGR valve, but these are wear and tear issues obviously. It depends what you want your van to do….if you’re carrying heavy loads regularly or maybe looking for bigger power, a 2.0 may be the way to go. Maybe economy is important to you.
People consider the SDI a pain because it’s quite slow and there’s nothing you can do to get power gains from it apart from regular servicing to keep it tip top.
The 1.9 is ok, these are occasionally known to throw a conrod out the engine case, so check for meticulous servicing and listen for any rumbles from the engine if you go down this route. As Lister79 said, people only complain when they have issues, lads on here have had them and put mega miles on with no issues.
Good luck in your search mate, and let us know what you end up buying…….unless it’s a kangoo, then we’re not interested

Rescue me from the swans in me
Danzini
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Danzini »

Haha thanks for the replies. I'd be disgusted with myself if I ended up with a kangoo :lol: think I'll just see what's about when it comes to actually getting one then. I don't mind the usual wear & tear maintenance every car needs. Don't want anything special but if I convert to a camper with extra weight the sdi may die a death. Will do lads cheers