Covid caddy project

Show off your caddy
V21cet
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Covid caddy project

Post by V21cet »

Waiting on a wireless android auto dongle

Where have you ordered it from any links ?

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

fishynos72
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by fishynos72 »

V21cet wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:10 pm Waiting on a wireless android auto dongle

Where have you ordered it from any links ?

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Not as of yet.
I'll looking at the Motorola unit. Aside from scalpers selling them for 3 times the price on eBay, everyone else is out of stock
How many is too many Volkswagens?
24dr979
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by 24dr979 »

Friend good project I also admire your patiencene
Cheifshagger
Caddy Fan

Post by Cheifshagger »

Is that a caddy mk4 dash or touran dash ?
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

24dr979 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:36 am Friend good project I also admire your patience
Thank you, and welcome to the forum.
Cheifshagger wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:57 pm Is that a caddy mk4 dash or touran dash ?

It's a mk4 caddy dashboard.
Similar in style to the Touran as both have square vents. 2 big reasons why I didn't do the Touran dashboard swap.
  • Firstly, Australia doesn't get Touran and the cost of importing a dashboard was significant.
  • Secondly, the door cards and dashboard of the Touran are the older style, and looking (IMO) dated.
So now the outside and inside of my vehicle looks like a Mk4 Caddy startline.
RuneUlfhedinn
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by RuneUlfhedinn »

WOW, well done, that was a great read
DW2207
Hyper Poster

Post by DW2207 »

Just finished watching your mini series on YouTube on this caddy mate. Great work you are doing there especially the front end modification. Didn't realise how involved this job was. Another chap I believe on here as a youtube channel doing the same thing.
Be good to see where this build goes.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

RuneUlfhedinn wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:01 am WOW, well done, that was a great read
Thank you, welcome to the forum. Definitely recommend you read some of the threads of builds that made front covers of magazines for some inspiration.
DW2207 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:51 am Just finished watching your mini series on YouTube on this caddy mate. Great work you are doing there especially the front end modification. Didn't realise how involved this job was. Another chap I believe on here as a youtube channel doing the same thing.
Be good to see where this build goes.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Thank you. Please don't hesitate to interact via YouTube and let me know you thoughts. I'm trying to capture the most interesting parts of the process, and try to maintain a good production quality.
Yes there's an English gentleman on here doing the same conversion. Though he's using a Mk4 caddy painted life spec front bumper and aftermarket guards and bonnet.

Due to our different skill sets, the way we've chosen to convert our vehicles ended up being very different. Both have turned out really well.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Hello all,

Not very much going on in terms of big build news currently as I am tying to scrape funds together to paint my van.

Despite the effort to save funds, I have continued to spend and play with the van under the bonnet as well as inside the vehicle.

Due to the van taking nearly an hour to get up to temperature and for the heating to kick in.
I've replaced the thermostat and housing (though a PTC is still being considered as my wife still isn't happy with the speed of heat).

For the PTC I need to confirm some options with those who have more experience with them. They're a rare item in Australia, with only really early mk5 TDI golfs having them fitted from factory and I have some questions regarding compatibility with my future plans for the van.

Out with the old crusty thermostat

In with the new genuine replacement.

Hopefully don't see it again for another 17 years.

In my continuing pursuit of lighting the van up like Luna park, even more LED goodness has arrived in the form of DRL, Interior and footwell lighting.

After a fair wait time to due supply issues my Motorola dongle arrived.

Testing so far is promising. Though I am having paring issues with my RCD radio when it comes to pairing the phone to vehicle each trip.
I need to sort out before I relocate the dongle and USB to the back of the unit as that makes access difficult should it not pair correctly.
Again I am under the impression this is a settings issue with the radio and not the dongle.

I should have a few nitty gritty updates in the next few weeks as I continue to tinker.

Cheers
Caddy1691
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Caddy1691 »

I think the auxiliary heater only switches on when the heating is set to the highest level, but I'm not sure whether the outside temperature also plays a role. I once had a Skoda Octavia with such an auxiliary heater and a cold solder joint was the problem that he It didn't work. You could control it via VCDS, then it also heated up, but it didn't do that by itself. I removed it at the time and gave it to an electrician who soldered everything, then it worked again and warm air came out after a few seconds from the ventilation.
The thermostat looks really bad, I recently replaced the heat exchanger in the interior of my Caddy, which only got warm at the top, but not over the entire surface.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Caddy1691 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:05 am I think the auxiliary heater only switches on when the heating is set to the highest level.

I once had a Skoda Octavia with such an auxiliary heater and a cold solder joint was the problem that he It didn't work.
Speaking with Stanthevwcaddyman, I've been toying with the option of a 'dumb PTC' that just runs off a simple switch. That way I can keep the circuit simple and turn it on and off as I please. I believe there was a dealership bulletin on the terminals for the heating element coming loose and causing fires.
Caddy1691 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:05 am The thermostat looks really bad, I recently replaced the heat exchanger in the interior of my Caddy, which only got warm at the top, but not over the entire surface.
I have considered that I might need to replace the heater core.
Aside from the radiator fittings I've basically replaced all the coolant fittings now, unfortunately they were all in similar crusty condition, so I expecting the heater core will be similarly abused and blocked.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Apologies for the delay in updating this thread.

Finally sorted the relocation of the USB port on my radio. hiding the wireless android auto dongle being the unit, resulting in a truly OE wireless experience.

Just drop your paired phone in the tray and go.

Continuing with my modernization through illumination; I bought some Audi A3/ Skoda Scala interior lights and sockets.
Used in an OEM way to illuminate the phone charging area it worked perfectly.

Gives a really good glow to the console now.

I also installed them as per an Skoda Scala to illuminate the door pockets on the front door cars. But feel the spread of light is too small for the caddy doors.

I plan to do front and rear footwell next.

I've been collecting up some bits and bobs for a few months for the next batch of chaos.

A friend had some pre-loved passat arms he wanted to move on. They needed a round of cleaning to bring them back to acceptable cleanliness.

And have paired ever-so nicely with my Passat R36 alloy uprights

The uprights I bought for my golf, but they didn't fit with my 18z calipers. Coupled with my factory alloy front subframe in my caddy, it should be a nice bright, light weight delight for my wheels aligning guy.

Then the practicality goes downhill

Scored a lowering kit (minus rear shocks) off facebook a few months ago. front coils are cheap and average quality. but the rear axel flip is a KW kit. (not pictured).

I'm replacing front wheel bearings, ball joints, top mounts and bearings to keep it all tight. Hoping to pick up a used set of golf front KW coils to replace the XMAXX or whatever these are.
For now these coilovers do.

Should have all this installed over the next few evenings.

Cheers
Dixieland
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dixieland »

Sat with my tea and toast and read this whole thread this morning.....now that really is a labour of love with some great skills

Hats off to you mate, brilliant job 8)
Blackberry Mk3 VW Caddy Maxi Life TDI Camper - My Story So Far
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Thank you,
I hope it made for a good read.
It's hard to make some of the mundane maintenance interesting.

For those of shorter attention span there's always the YouTube videos.

Btw. Nice camper you have there, sorry to see you've had the injector issue. You'll find many kin here with similar stories
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Halfway.
Front is all back together and all my alloy bits all fitted up nicely.

Despite how cool it looks at the height the previous owner of the coils has set- It will be raised up a bit for daily use. There's basically zero travel at this height.

Front was nice and straight forward as I have plenty of Mk5/mk6 golf experience.
It's the rear axel flip that has me uncertain.

Should crack on with it on Sunday and hopefully have the height and alignments sorted for next week.