Budget friendly speaker upgrade

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Jorded94
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Budget friendly speaker upgrade

Post by Jorded94 »

Hi,

I have recently done the electric window conversion with the door cards and regulators from a touran of a similar age. The touran speakers (blaupunkt) are awful not sure if they are supposed to be ran from an amp in the touran?

I’m looking at upgrading the front speakers to aftermarkets and just wondering if anyone knows of a budget friendly set. Not expecting anything amazing just an improvement on what I’ve currently got. Will a pair of coaxial door speakers go straight in and work?
Lockstock
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Budget friendly speaker upgrade

Post by Lockstock »

If your system curently has dash mounted tweeters, you want to keep this set up. far superior to door mounted coax.

Depending on the budget. for innexpensive, checkout some Alpine E series component speakers.

For a little more you can get some Hertz DSK components. Both are suitable to be powered by the caddy existing headunit I believe.

buy some cheap dodo matt off ebay, and stick some on door cards around speaker mount, and a piece on the doors metal skin too.. will help a lot with SQ and is a super cheap upgrade..
2013Caddyman
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by 2013Caddyman »

Look for Dynaudio speakers out of older Volvos. You can tell they are dynaudio by the cones. The tweeters can be mounted in the dash, under the dash speaker covers.
Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

[I currently have an Volvo and this is a bloody brilliant budget upgrade idea!! very good speakers!
Last edited by Giddy on Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
Kellogs
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Kellogs »

Will fitting this mats in the door help stop my speakers from going all weird when I let down my windows? Seems the door loses a lot of its rigidity when I let down my windows and I have to turn off the bass
Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

more likely its bad window guides or something loose inside the door buzzing against the window when it's down.
Id say door card off and inspect.

But yes, adding sound deadening helps performance of the speakers a lot more generally
Kellogs
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Kellogs »

Thanks I’ll pull the door card and have a look and see what it’s like. Might try the sheets as well anyway
Kuuspunt
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Kuuspunt »

Volvo speakers, will they be straight fitted or some minor mods?
Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

Ive not had them appart. they are two way components in the doors, but I'm not sure if they are bi wired with an inline passive crossover, or if there is a distribution style crossover in the door.

You can most likely get the specs for the speakers online or Volvo forum, and if necessary by some innexpensive passive crossovers for the tweeters. The mids for the doors are most likely a direct fit as they are probs standard 4Ohm speakers