Speaker Confusion

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Luckyaos
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Speaker Confusion

Post by Luckyaos »

I've been looking at a speaker upgrade and read a lot of threads on here all giving different options. The Focal kits look good, but being 2 Ohm resistance can be an issue. Then looking at other setups can potentially have fitment issues. So my question is does anyone know what resistance my head unit will support, I can't find any info online about it?! It's the VW RCD 510 DAB Touchscreen FM Radio 6 CD SD Head Unit Stereo.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Re: Speaker Confusion

Post by Scoobysrt »

Normal head units are 4 ohm, can't say what the vw ones will support but I would trybto stay with 4.
The focal speakers I once bought went back in their box after a week, utter crap but lots of people love them.

In my mk3 I had a set of jbl components, quite cheap and really quite good. Nice bass.
Got alpine reference series in my mk4 which are the best you can buy but they are no longer made. They came out of my competition car from back in the day.
Kenwood used to make some great replacement speakers but now they are owned by jvc I don't know how good they are.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Lockstock
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Speaker Confusion

Post by Lockstock »

Firstly which Focal kit? they definitely have 4ohm kits for VW in some speaker ranges.

2016 caddy maxi. it definitely has 4ohm speakers. Also cant find specs, but the chances of the amps inside a factory headunit being 2ohm stable, especially at higher volumes is low IMO..

Just get 4ohm components and the 99% will work.

Even if your headunit can drive 2ohm speakers, it will happily run 4ohm speakers and in real world use you wont be losing much in SPL.

Unless you are fitting an aftermarket amp, and plan on wanting competition level volumes and want to push the absolute limit of your equipment.. there are no real world advantages of going 2ohm on the speakers.