TFSI or TSI swap??

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
NZDubNurd
Hyper Poster

Re: TFSI or TSI swap??

Post by NZDubNurd »

@Bumblebee58627
No.

How will your ABS and steering electronics (ETC) talk to the mk4 engine, that doesn't talk back?
Bumblebee58627
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Bumblebee58627 »

:shock: OOOH, i didnt think about that,
I was just thinking the 1.6i looks the same as any other VW motor.... so it really is a complicated job
2007 1.9 TDI Caddy Panel Van (Pre Facelift)
1994 Golf Mk1 16V
1989 Caddy mk1 2L 8v
1974 Beetle , named Bumblebee (my first car and my show car) Slammed to eart
shanky887614
Hyper Poster

Re: RE: Re: TFSI or TSI swap??

Post by shanky887614 »

@NZDubNurd
easy you only need to fit a golf mk5/bls crankseal to it and it will run fine.

its a common conversion

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

On a TFSI/TSI??
I don't think that'll work.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Bumblebee58627
100BHP+

Post by Bumblebee58627 »

I recently found a video of a Caddy in south africa , that had a FSI conversion with ITB's and cams, i got him on facebook and he said it's really not that hard, it's kind of a straight swap he said.

Here's a link to the video:
https://youtu.be/dfrV5Sq1wI0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1994 Golf Mk1 16V
1989 Caddy mk1 2L 8v
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

It is straightforward if you stick to the same generation of engine.
A 2007 chassis and 2012 engine will be more complicated than a 2007 chassis and 2007 engine.
It's all dooable, there's nothing impossible but you need to do your research, make your own comparison tables with info from ElsaWIN and get stuck in.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Bumblebee58627
100BHP+

Post by Bumblebee58627 »

Very true, people do serious crazy swaps that work :D
1994 Golf Mk1 16V
1989 Caddy mk1 2L 8v
Caddymatttfsi
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddymatttfsi »

Has any1 got a diagram these days I have a 2013 caddy want to fit 2006 Bwa in it
Lister79
Hyper Poster

TFSI or TSI swap??

Post by Lister79 »

I’d be very surprised if those that have spent the 100’s hours going through the process of comparing wiring diagrams would share this information.
The only way is to sit down and go through the diagrams to compare what you have against what you need, and create a table/list of the changes. This will vary depending on the spec of both the van, and the donor vehicle. Investing the time in the process also helps with your knowledge, which will help you, should any issues occur.

Diagrams are available at Erwin online:
https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showInfoTour.do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
NZDubNurd
Hyper Poster

Post by NZDubNurd »

I'm happy to share the info from my conversion, as I think are most/lots... but really - not all conversions are the same!

there are SO many variations of models and wiring, that's NEVER a simple copy and paste situation. Even the type of AC or ABS can affect the wiring, or required changes. It's not like the 80's, where one car model had the some wiring for 3 generations or the same engine model etc. :lol:
hef355
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

TFSI or TSI swap??

Post by hef355 »

Most certainly not for the faint hearted that’s for sure and we’ve done a fair few now! We still learn and overcome varying issues that crop up and challenge all the time!

No 2 jobs are hardly ever the same!

Defo best advice is study your job at hand, compare diagrams and have plenty of paracetamol and red bull to hand! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Badura
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (74bhp)

Post by Badura »

How do, new to this.
I’m converting my 1.9pd to either a tfsi or the 3.2 r32 lump,
What’s the better one in your opinion and rather than splicing into the existing loom, I am going to buy a donor car. Would fitting the complete loom, all the modules etc be a better option of the donor?
Appreciate any advice thank you 🙏🏻
Luckyaos
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Luckyaos »

Has anyone attempted a BWS R36 swap into their caddy? I've had my eye on that engine long before I had my R32, I think it would look and sound amazing in a caddy!!
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

@Luckyaos Hef has fitted the R36 engine his Caddy which had been converted to R32 previously.

@Badura tfsi and R32 both have their merits and downsides. R32 sounds amazing but its an older engine and parts are probably getting bit rare, plus the fuel economy is worse than tfsi.

Don't think there's a huge difference in conversion complications but the tfsi is probably slightly easier to integrate as the R32 is only up to 2008 whereas the tfsi, or whatever its model designation is in later cars, goes up to modern era GTi's and R's so you can pick a year of engine thats close to your Caddy which might make the swap less of a headache - think one of the bigger issues is the ABS modules when you choose a different year of engine to your van.

As for fitting the entire loom, thats not entirely necessary. Re-pinning the existing loom and carefully integrating everything is the most OE route and should net you a totally error and trouble free conversion. Its still a mammoth task but worth it when, as in Lister's case, you get no errors on the dash the first time you switch it on.
Badura
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (74bhp)

Post by Badura »

So I have found a vw eos the same year as the caddy, it’s a dsg box. Is it a big task to wire in the dsg and or would it benefit me to swap the complete loom with all the modules. Sorry for all the questions I haven’t done a tfsi before.

Many thanks again kurt