Caddy Maxi 1.6l Strange Engine Noise

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
fordj06
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Caddy Maxi 1.6l Strange Engine Noise

Post by fordj06 »

Hi all,

I brought a ex-British Gas Caddy Maxi about 5 months ago and it's been running alright but recently I noticed it started making a strange noise which to me sounds like a low frequency pump noise. I've attached a clip where the noise can be heard. https://youtube.com/shorts/9fA568hx_WA

Occasionally the oil warning light will flash and beep (low pressure?) no fault code gets logged and it goes off again after 10 seconds or so. So my assumption was the oil pump either being on the way out or a partial blockage due to sludge build up or something. I only notice the noise at idle but that could just because its getting drowned out when the revs are up. When the engine is cold I can't hear the noise. The above clip was after driving for about 45 minutes.

I took it too the garage about a week ago to get a wheel speed sensor replaced and asked the garage to investigate and they just scanned it for codes and concluded that there was no problem. I got them to flush and replace the oil and filter anyway to see if that would make any difference. It doesn't seem to have made much difference because I can still hear the noise and the warning light still comes on periodically.

I really want to get it sorted because I rely on the van and If it is the oil pump I'd rather get it sorted before it fails. So, I booked it into my normal garage for them to take a look at it and they've come back to me saying they think its the EGR valve. Which isn't ideal because apparently its quite the job in a Caddy due to the location.

The EGR valve doesn't make much sense to me because of the oil warning light I was getting but could that be coincidence or separate problem? Its only done 60K miles, would that be about right for an EGR to go?

Any insight would be much appreciated.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Re: Caddy Maxi 1.6l Strange Engine Noise

Post by the swan fiend »

When my EGR failed, it went suddenly with a loss of power and an engine management light on.
As far as I’m aware, the EGR opens and closes as and when the ECU dictates. Any rumbling sound suggests something that is moving constantly, which the oil pump will be doing.
Assuming your oil level is ok, the potential for a dodgy oil pump or a blockage seems logical. Either that or the pressure switch is at fault and the rumbling is something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
BenT
100BHP+

Re: Caddy Maxi 1.6l Strange Engine Noise

Post by BenT »

Just a thought - the oil pumps on these are belt driven. There don't seem to be any people on forums complaining about failure, but perhaps it's a possibility? What the Swan Fiend's said sounds very logical, about pickup blockage (especially if the sump's been off and resealed) and oil pressure switch problems... Are you using the correct viscosity of oil? Do you have the tools to check the oil pressure? I don't know what the specs are...

Any signs of any leaks?