Dealer true or telling fibs?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
LouisAMS
100BHP+

Dealer true or telling fibs?

Post by LouisAMS »

Engine cover done, looks great. Moving onto engine under tray and bonnet insulation.

Got codes all ready for dealer to order.

He says to me the part isn’t listed for my van, ok I said, probably vw being cheap, i know it’s the correct part number, he says I shouldn’t put them on as vw wouldn’t put them on for a reason… what reason? He says most likely to do with the design of the engine and keeping the flow of air correct and keeping everything cool…

Now I think he’s talking out of his back side, but is there any truth in that? I said I’d go away and think about it, I can order no problem, just wondered why he was putting me off…
Last edited by LouisAMS on Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NornIron
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: MK4 Engine Under Tray and Bonnet Insulation

Post by NornIron »

I've had them on my Caddy's for the past 10 years without any issues...
Ich habe kein Geld!
Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Re: Dealer true or telling fibs?

Post by Lockstock »

I'm pretty confident it's money saving by VW as these exact same engines are in their consumer car line with covers etc..
Katiecaddy
200BHP+

Post by Katiecaddy »

Sounds like he has no idea what he’s on about, just give him the codes and tell him to order them.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

When the guy searches for your VIN number, the system will only show what has been fitted to your van. If something is compatible but wasn't fitted from factory then it'll show it as not for your VIN.
There are several items you'll find that will give the same result, just go with the part number you have and tell the guy not to worry whether it should or should not be fitted.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Joe swoonara
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Joe swoonara »

VW probably didn't fit the items as a cost saving ,if the truth be known ,I personally cant see what under body insulation has to do with the cooling ,fit the items and if it starts to overheat take them off ,and he's a parts man not a design engineer
That's my 2 pennies woth 😁
DW2207
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by DW2207 »

I fitted the the under tray cover on both my caddys, no issues whatsoever. Takes a little longer to do the oil change to remove it.
Also fitted the bonnet noise insulation too, again no problems again.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Such items are not really required for a commercial vehicle and in such a competitive market vw have to cut as many luxuries out as possible in order to get inline with other marques out there.
An engine that takes longer to warm up or is slightly more noisy isn't an issue to a builders van or fleet vehicle, one that doesn't get road crud thrown up over the engine also less important.
Similarly, cloth seats, cheaper radios, standard steering wheels, clocks, etc etc all cost cutting practices.
You can specify a lot of extras when buying a new van to make them more inline with a comfy car but the price soon builds up considerably at vw.
An undertray, battery blanket, bonnet damping and engine cover aren't really things often specced as they don't really affect much and are costly things a new buyer simply doesn't want to purchase, they aren't seen and don't affect the drive so vw don't even offer them.

It's your van, you do what you want to it, the same engine with higher performance is in many other vehicles that do come with bonnet damping, undertray etc and have no issues, there's thousands of vans out there that have had them put on with no issues.
As said before put them on and if you don't like them or it effects your van negatively take them back off, there will always be a queue of people to buy them off you.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
EvilC
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by EvilC »

It is amazing what employees at dealers say. The problem is that they see such a vast array of vehicles and models and they’re simply not interested in the details. They just say any old rubbish that falls out of their brain. I think putting the cover on is a nice touch and keeps general dirt and grit further away from the top of the engine.
LouisAMS
100BHP+

Post by LouisAMS »

Thank you for your replies, I agree with them all, will purchase tomorrow!
LouisAMS
100BHP+

Post by LouisAMS »

All fitted, van feels finished now.
Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

well enjoy it while it lasts, it could explode at any moment now you added those plastic panels 🤣
LouisAMS
100BHP+

Post by LouisAMS »

EML came on today… the day after…

I’m expecting the same intermittent adblue error
Pradcad
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Pradcad »

Lots and lots of people have the covers fitted so I wouldn’t worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LouisAMS
100BHP+

Post by LouisAMS »

It’s been fine.

The EML is the standard adblue error.

Annoying…