air con drain pipe?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Lockstock
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

air con drain pipe?

Post by Lockstock »

Need to locate this, my van is getting a bit misty.. It had a leak a while a go I traced to a bad windscreen. got carpets now and floor is nice and dry. but my van is def getting too misty again. cant find any water so I'm thinking AC system.

Can anyone point to a guide to clear the drain pipe for a mk4 caddy. 2.0d bluemotion Maxi?

cheers
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: air con drain pipe?

Post by Doc »

The pipe runs from the bottom of the climate control box down the driver's footrest and out through a hole in the tunnel.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

whats the access situation to check the pipe isnt blocked. is it easier to run a pipe cleaner or similar from under the van? Don't really want to take out interior if I can access the pipe.

On my volvo its in a similar place, and next to the centre tunnel the pipe has an elbow, so can be unblocked from interior easily
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

Its right next to the drivers side of the centre console so more or less the middle of the caddy from underneath. Not easy to get to unless you've got access to a lift or a ramp.

I can't remember exactly what I did but had to access the area to make sure pipe was fitted (it wasn't but thats another story!) and I think by removing the centre console side panel and moving the carpet out of the way you can get access to it.

You can see the grommet in the transmission tunnel where it exits in this photo

and #30 is the rubber drain pipe

Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

Cheers both, this is super helpful.

So part 30 runs from an elbow on the centre tunel in your pic. Does the other end attatch to a funnel housing under the condensor up in the centre dash?

I think I better get in and clean it as I suspect there is water collecting

I'm hoping then by removing part 30 I can use a pipe cleaner or stick to clean the pipe
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

I think the top part of the hose connects to a tube outlet on the aircon unit. The bottom part is just squeezed into the hole in the transmission tunnel so it’s easy enough to remove to check for blockages.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

I found a youtube clip of a guy taking one out of his MKV Golf and it looks very similar to the Caddy one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtW8CR38nhA

You have to remove the clutch rest to get the carpet out of the way.
Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

thanks for the help guys. got access, cleaned and used a detergent. didn't appear to be obvious blockage and run up to temp when back together.

Continuous dripping of ac condensation under vehicle as expected. Looked normal amount to me.

No obvious moisture under carpets either. Looks like its just damp in the air and gets a bit misty. I know there is no insulation on cab roof under the headligning so could be condensation there too..

Anyway, looks like its all normal and no leaks, thankfully
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

As you say, could just been moisture you're bringing in on shoes or the fact its getting colder out and the temperature differential causing some condensation.

Might be worth just quickly checking under the scuttle panel to make sure that the drains aren't blocked as water will seep in from there.

Otherwise I've found a load or silica gel packets (you can get large ones from online suppliers for packaging) distributed around the cabin and on the top of the dash overnight can suck up a pretty decent amount of ambient moisture and I'd also recommend thoroughly cleaning all the windows as the dirt and grime is a magnet for moisture.
Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

All good advice.
I already cleared out the scuttle drain holes when I had all the water in footwells from failed windscreen seal when I first got the van. I think that experience has made me paranoid

Even the back of van is pretty dry. and I've insulated and fully carpeted the bulkhead.

I think as you say its a combination of ambient moisture and tye roof of van even beyond the bulkhead is the only 'non-glass' area for condensation.

My windows do need cleaning too.

I have noticed with AC OFF the condensation is less so I do think there is some moisture there.

Gonna change the cabin filter again for good measure and get some of that silica gell.

The van doesn't 'feel' damp so I think it will be okay 👍