Struggling to get up to temp!

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
DeanWhit
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Struggling to get up to temp!

Post by DeanWhit »

Morning,

Strange issue I've noticed over the last couple of weeks, the van is taking ages to get up to temp after starting in the morning. I can be driving for 10 minutes (50mph on the motorway) and the temp needle hasn't moved though the air through the heaters is slightly warm. It's random as to when it decides to heat up, sometimes it's fine, It's only recently started doing this. It's a 2.0L TDI.

Any ideas?
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: Struggling to get up to temp!

Post by Giddy »

Sounds very much like the thermostat get stuck in an open position sometimes.
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
DeanWhit
Hyper Poster

Post by DeanWhit »

I'll get it booked in. Cheers
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

Iv just had the opposite fixed, couldnt keep the bloody thing from getting too hot!

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

VAGdiagnose
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by VAGdiagnose »

probably thermostat or EGR stuck
Lockstock
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Lockstock »

@Giddy

Is there a module/block I can monitor on VCDS to see if the thermostat is opening?

Mine has been running fine, but this morning I drove 10 mins in traffic, noticed oil temp and water was still at 50deg C. then as soon as on 60mph country road it crept up as normal to 90deg comfortably.
I'm still thinking was probably just the cold day.. but the blowers were hot while it still said 50degC which seemed odd to me...

Maybe a sluggish thermostatic valve... praying it isn't a stuck EGR... I know they help with quick warm up on these newer caddys... 😡
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

I'm not sure to be honest. Thermostat itself is a mechanical part with no feedback from it. But you might be able to compare the engine temperature sensor readings vs. radiator temperature sensor readings. Radiator should stay roughly at the same ambient temperature while the engine temperature goes up until thermostat opens up.

These new diesels still take some time to warm up, certainly a lot longer than petrol engines. Once I had a brand new Caddy 4 diesel for a day, while mine was having a first service at dealership. I've noticed, it took me about 4-5 miles of driving to get it up to the temperature, while mine is up to temperature within 1st mile of driving.
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
Lockstock
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Lockstock »

good to know. I think maybe it's normal. Gonna keep an eye out. Just made another post about misty moisture in cab. want to check aircon pipes are clear
VAGdiagnose
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by VAGdiagnose »

You could feel and compare the coolant pipes before and after the thermostat. Pipe after the thermostat should warm up at once after the thermostat has opened. If both heat up simultaneously your thermostat is stuck open
DeanWhit
Hyper Poster

Post by DeanWhit »

Update….

I didn’t have to time to get to a garage so decided to have a look myself. Water reservoir looked pretty full so emptied some of the water out of it and now the temp seems to be back to working properly. 🤷🏾