08 Caddy to 2020 R conversion???

Show off your caddy
wired_husky
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (74bhp)

Post by wired_husky »

Just got my first van back, I bought it in 2010, starting to show it's age but, as am I, bit still got some life left in here. I was toying with a Tesla converio but have noticed a few golf R at the salvage auction. There is a 2020 R up for grabs next week. Wondering if it's possible? How hard it's going to be? Don't have access to any of the forum so excuse if the information is already available .
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Re: 08 Caddy to 2020 R conversion???

Post by dan@biali »

It is indeed possible however the biggest hurdle is finding someone you can trust to do the job. The engine itself drops straight in onto the Caddy engine mounts, the problems lie in converting the wiring looms. Even for those that have done it before it can be upwards of 100 hours work to do it correctly. It can be botched like anything and you will have a semi working conversion and a potential fire hazard! There are several "companies" I'd personally stay well clear from and your best bet is to try and do your own research.

If you're technically capable then there are several forum members who have done their own conversions but you will need access to the VW wiring diagrams and the odd bit of help from someone who has done it before.
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Lister79 »

As Dan says it’s definitely possible, there are currently 3 converted vans on the forum. Slightly more cost/extra work required for a 2020 R (DJH) engine though, as you need to basically covert the engine to prefacelift spec (CJX), due to the lack of secondary injectors on the DJH and the ECUs that you would need to use.
Buying a full salvage car would be a waste of money, as there is pretty much only the engine that is any use from a MQB platform vehicle. Gearbox/wiring/ecus etc aren’t compatible with the PQ platform caddy, useless you’re looking to go down the loom swap route (which is a rough way of converting things), plus the issues it would cause would require far more effort than doing the job properly.
Lots and lots of research needed to get your head around things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
wired_husky
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (74bhp)

Post by wired_husky »

So rear subframe / 4wd no good? Brakes? Why would swapping the harness be no good? Are the chasis that different? Would it be better to look at an older model R that would be more conpstible? Why does the gearbox not fit?
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

Rear subframe on the Golf is a multi link whereas the caddy is a solid axle with leaf springs. Only way to fit the Golf suspension is to chop the floor out of the donor car or a lot of custom fabrication. In other words an insane amount of work for no gain.
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Lister79 »

No control unit from an MQB car will communicate correctly with those from a PQ car. 2020 Golf R were all DSG which again won’t communicate with PQ (physically it would mount in the caddy).
Loom swapping is just a bodge way of doing things and a far cry from an OE standard. It would ultimately lead to further issues E.g. steering rack not fitting in the caddy subframe, which would then lead to having to bodge your subframe, or if going 4 wheel drive doing a floor pan swap (again more bodge).
Front brakes will fit but rears are electric so won’t (unless you do go down the loom swap route).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629