ASBO PD130

Show off your caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

ASBO PD130

Post by the_fid »

So the rack is wired up and I finally have power steering Image

It feels so different to the hydraulic steering, much lighter and less notchy. I’m yet to take it up the road, but I’m looking forward to seeing what it feels like. I’ve coded in the torque steer correction so we will see what that feels like. It’s also an S3 rack so should feel pretty good

3 pin vw plug used so I can unplug if need be:

Loom taped and routed through factory grommets:

Nice and early 1:30am finish Image:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Re: ASBO PD130

Post by the_fid »

Had a spare day today so decided to crack on with some bits I’ve not had the chance to do for a while now

First up was remaking my lower boost hose. My first boost pipe did ok for a little while but I’ve had it pop off under high load one too many times

Here is the original

Here is the new one I made today

So the idea is having a straight joiner rather than a 90 in silicone should hopefully stop it tugging itself loose. It never really sat right and I’ve managed to make it fit a lot nicer than I did before

Second on the list was to make a proper sized intake and not a mismatch of silicone

Here is the before

Here is the after

We’ve managed to increase the size dramatically by ditching the MAF housing. IIRC the MAF housing is 60mm. We are now at 80mm air filter back which should improve flow. Whether it will be noticeable or not it certainly looks the part.

It’s always been tuned to run off MAP based fueling so having the MAF sitting there doing nothing was pretty pointless

So there’s my day off, spent up the workshop working on my own bits Image

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

So…

Been a little while since I’ve posted. Few issues which I’ll get into. Firstly you might remember me replacing my coolant bottle under the assumption it was cracked. Well turns out the headgasket was gone. Not the best of news but we digress.

Secondly I had a problem where I could only get the van in gear if my foot was halfway depressed on the clutch pedal. Fully pressed would mean I couldn’t get it into gear.

So first thing to address was the engine. Now I could of replaced the headgasket and skimmed the head, but an engine came up for sale at a price I couldn’t refuse

Here it is after I painted it. A 1.9TDi as before but this time a PD160 BPX. Not that that makes any difference to a pd130. Now this engine has the following

VEICOMER 272 Cam
Ported and polished head
42mm piston bowls

I then fitted a set of Firad 120% injectors

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

The next thing to tackle was removing the old engine from the van

Here we were, about ready to pull the engine out:

Engine out:

Now I can’t remember if I said it before but one of my biggest regrets was not painting the bay the last time we changed the engine. Now I suppose is the best time to tackle it as the engines out again

So before you know it

Bay prepped and ready for paint:

Bay sprayed Porsche Acid Green:

We then got to work fitting the bay back up with wiring ect:

We then applied gold tape to the firewall as we removed the disgusting carpet that was hanging down

Which is where we are up to now. I’m over the moon with it. Few more bits then the engine can go in.

The clutch issue I’m assuming is this:

Difficult to tell on camera but definitely doesn’t look like a 5000 mile old clutch. Pressure plate is warped. So a new clutch is on the list before the engine goes in!

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
Raph71
Caddy Fan

Post by Raph71 »

I just read your thread which I had already read a few months ago. I have a question to ask you. I see you changed your air conditioner. Do you now have a climatic or a climatronic? I ask you the question because I’m going to see afternoon a person who sells parts of touran. The vehicle is equipped with climatronic. the vehicle is going to be scrapped tomorrow so he leaves me the air conditioning for really cheap. But apparently, mounting the climatronic is complicated (and I'm very bad at car electricity!) so I would have liked to have your opinion.
To come back to your vehicle, good choice for the acid green engine bay, it will be very aesthetic with the stainless pipes! and on this subject, do you tig weld yourself or do you outsource the work?
On the other hand, your clutch seems to have been badly treated

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

Haven’t changed the climate no. Touran dash didn’t have the right frame to hold my manual switches so it’s just got the touran one until I get round to buying a frame for my ones

I Tig weld myself.

Clutch i don’t daisy it but I also don’t drive as hard as I see some other people. For a performance clutch it shouldn’t look like that

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
Raph71
Caddy Fan

Post by Raph71 »

Thank you for your answer. Regarding your clutch problem, I had the same kind of problem in the past (on other cars). My racing clutches lasted longer than the original ones but I sometimes had traces of heating without my driving being violent.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

Small update

Might seem stupid but the stock rusty fuel filter has bugged the life out of me for ages. It looks so out of place and is seriously ugly along with the silver pipes that go across the front of the engine. Now with all the effort I’ve put in painting the bay ect, I thought it would be silly to put something ugly back in.

I’ve always liked the thought of AN fuel lines so I ordered in a bunch of -6 AN and plenty of connectors along with a fuel filter from Radium

For the time being I’ve just ordered enough to do from the bulkhead forwards but after doing a quick bit this afternoon, I can already tell I’m going to end up doing from the tank forwards.

The plan is to mount it on the chassis leg with Riv nuts like shown below.

I’ve also got an ally washer bottle which I plan to mount where the stock one does. This will hopefully open up enough room for some larger boost pipes along with the fog lights for the mk7 bumper.

Alongside this I also plan to relocate the battery so I can open up some room for a larger intake.

Plenty of bits to keep myself busy with. But starting to take shape now

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

Took the time to mount up the filter and make a few an lines today. I used Riv nuts to secure the filter to the chassis leg so I can remove and refit as and when I need to.

Once the engines mounted I can make a few more lines but quite happy with how things are looking. New clutch is on the way. Decided to go dual mass this time as I was never happy with the drivability of the single. I’ve had SMF before and never had a problem but on this van it’s always been disgusting to drive

With any luck we can have the van up and running again soon. Let’s just pray we don’t run into any more hiccups!

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
Glen G
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Glen G »

Awesome build this mate.......love the engine bay colour 👌 how much power you reckon your get out of it
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

Cheers mate

With the current turbo we expect to see around the 300bhp mark on diesel and air only.

We are looking to go bigger with the next turbo and shoot for around 400bhp

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
Glen G
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Glen G »

That will be a beast would love to this to mine ....when swapping to the pd130 did you have to change the loom and ecu ?
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

No, it’s just a case of changing the rear main seal to a MK5 type which the crank sensor is built into. You then drill one hole in the block to accept this and then they pretty much drop straight in. Same loom, same ecu ect

Depending on ancillaries you can get away without even mapping as long as you keep stock injectors and turbo ect (who wants to do that, that’s boring!)

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Nice work going on here mate. I’m watching this with interest

Rescue me from the swans in me
Chrispmcc87bgcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Chrispmcc87bgcaddy »

This is a cracking build, do you have a youtube channel at all? If not it'd be great to see some of these mods you're doing on the van. Inspirational and a good thing to watch to get educated. 👌