Toffee delights

Show off your caddy
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Toffee delights

Post by Lister79 »

Ha ha I don’t even want to begin to imagine the damage one of those would cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
Lister79
Hyper Poster

Post by Lister79 »

Possible freezing related issue with my air suspension this morning going to work. Strange one as with the cooling ring and pre tank watertraps I have on my system, I’ve never (to date) had any water in the tank or in the final manual water trap (prior to the manifold).
Temperature was -6.5 degrees C (displayed), I raised the front to get it off the drive (normal practice) at with point the tank air pressure dropped below the 120psi set point I have for compressor start up (compressors kicked in as expected). I set off on my way, lowered to ride height down the road, when I got to the main road I noticed the compressors were still running, I checked the pressure and it was sat at 105psi and not increasing (auto switch off occurs at 170psi). I therefore a switched off the compressors on my phone app.
I got back to the van after work this afternoon (temperature -2 degrees C), and the tank pressure was still sat at 105psi. I switched compressors back on, and they worked as they should, the tank pressure built up to 170psi and auto switch off occurred.
Seems a bit strange, if it were water related it shouldn’t have thawed (due to not getting above freezing). The pressure sensor is integral to the manifold (presumably on the manifold supply line), but if it was a sensor issue i.e. incorrect reading, it would have been highlighted by differing pressure reading between this morning and afternoon, but that wasn’t the case.
Could possibly be frozen compressor filters, effectively choking the compressors (dual compressors installed) but I can’t understand how both would freeze or would defrost with such low temps. I’d also have expected to notice a difference in the compressor running tone, but nothing sounded untoward.
It’s the first issue I’ve had with my air ride so wanted to document it, hopefully it’s just a one off, but definitely something I’ll be keeping an eye on it.

2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
Beaker2135
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Beaker2135 »

I think this will be a freezing issue. Just because the car shows the temperature as -2 when you got back to it doesn’t meant that it didn’t get above freezing while you were away. They are not the most accurate measure of air temperature anyway just a reasonable guide.
Also the sun can cause thaw even when the temperature remains below zero. I just got caught with this when I parked down a slope, the snow melted and froze agin and I could get out without a barrow full of rock salt spread down in the wheel tracks

Either way I hope it doesn’t happen to the van again
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Just a possibility, the check valves in the compressor may have had a bit of ice in, they gave no protection from moisture as they come before the drains.
Luckily your tanks don't lose all pressure over night like 95% of air installs.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Lister79
Hyper Poster

Toffee delights

Post by Lister79 »

That’s a big possibility Steve regarding it thawing whilst away as issue was present again this morning again (-3.5 degrees C), but pressure stopped increasing at 123psi (I dumped air until compressor start up).

Yeah I think you’re right with the check valves Doc. I have upgraded mine to SMC AK2000’s, as they have a better temperature operating range, but still only suitable for -5 degrees C. However, I installed them in addition to the original compressor ones, perhaps this was was a mistake and when possible I’ll remove the originals. But yeah no issues with air loss, just generation in the morning’s, which isn’t often required tbh.

Build thread:
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Not sure if this helps…

My setup has seen -7.5 to -10 over the past 2 days and hasn’t suffered any issues. Same compressors but I’m running the standard Grinds electric operated moisture traps. As you know my compressors and valves are protected inside an sound insulated box built into the floor so less likely to see damp icy conditions and surface frost.

My handbrake cable on the other hand!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
Lister79
Hyper Poster

Toffee delights

Post by Lister79 »

Yeah it’s definitely frost related (as doc suggested caused by water prior to the first set of auto watertraps), just strange as last year I had no issues and it saw down to -12 degrees over a couple of days then. But it could have just been that my compressors hadn’t actually needed to top the tank up.
I’ll just make sure the tank is topped up prior to sun zero cold spells, as I don’t want to stress the compressors.

Oh no, time for some new handbrake cables?

Build thread:
Lister79
Hyper Poster

Post by Lister79 »

Late arrival of a Christmas present from my wife today. Racingline Dipstick, final piece for the set. Please ignore the state of the engine bay, polished items need a good seeing to and I have quite a few bits removed at the minute.

Installed

Before

Build thread:
FishermansFriend
Hyper Poster

Post by FishermansFriend »

Very nice 8). I dont think my wife will be getting me a dipstick, there is a good chance she will call me one but ;)
Lister79
Hyper Poster

Post by Lister79 »

Ha ha

Build thread:
Lister79
Hyper Poster

Toffee delights

Post by Lister79 »

I used to joke that the only thing that hasn’t been replaced or modified on my van was the hazard warning switch… well I can’t say that anymore. Image.
After seeing the one in my wife’s (new to us) Tiguan I decided mine looked a bit dated, so had to replace it.
Found a switch and trim/housing on eBay, few cuts and a bit of plastic welding on my dash panel, terminals and connector changed.
A lot more modern, the satin chrome tip ties in with all the other switches and surrounds and it doesn’t look like a big red self destruct button when illuminated.

Finished

In work

Before

Build thread:
fishynos72
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by fishynos72 »

"Self destruct button" :lol: :lol:

Stunning work as usual. looks more like a MK4 dash with the later button.
How many is too many Volkswagens?
Jeffers76
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Jeffers76 »

Defo looks a better button
Sean1066
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Sean1066 »

The new button looks awesome. So much better than the original one.
Caddy maxi 3.2 VR6 EX BG

My build thread
https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=36851
Lister79
Hyper Poster

Toffee delights

Post by Lister79 »

Thanks all. Yeah looks so much better.

Build thread: