Spare bulbs for trip to Europe.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Cartel1
Caddy2k Groupie

Spare bulbs for trip to Europe.

Post by Cartel1 »

We're taking our Ex BG MkIII LWB Caddy Startline to France in the next couple of weeks. I'm trying (without any success!) to find a list of which spare light bulbs I should take.
In the owners manual it mentions H7 and H4 (I suspect for different models) but lists no other bulb numbers.
Any suggestions as to what spares I should get?

Thanks
Terry
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Spare bulbs for trip to Europe.

Post by the swan fiend »

Get some p21w single filament bulbs and some p21/5w dual filament bulbs. These will cover your DRLs, indicators, brake lights rear fogs and rear lights.
Can’t remember what type the headlights and full beam lights are. Best way is to remove a bulb and check. Don’t forget to do the same with your front fog lights if the van has them.
I think for driving in France you need a warning triangle and day glow vest too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Cartel1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Cartel1 »

Thanks for that advice, I'll check them out. I've got the warning triangle and hi vis vests sorted!
Bahnstormer
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by Bahnstormer »

Depending on where you're going, you may also need a "Crit Air" vignette too ;)
Cartel1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Cartel1 »

Just received the Crit Air Yellow sticker, only cost just over £4, at least that's one more thing off the check list!
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Bahnstormer wrote:Depending on where you're going, you may also need a "Crit Air" vignette too ;)
Also a string of onions and a stripey top ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

Don’t forget you’ll also need an insurance certificate and your V5C to prove it’s your vehicle and it’s now a UK sticker for the back. The fine has been dropped for not carrying breathalysers but it’s worth having 2. Any excuse and the French police will throw the book at you as the UK sticker is more like crosshairs to them!

Remember that the hi-vis and breathalyser needs to be inside the front of the vehicle so you can get to them if pulled over and turn off your sat nav speed camera warnings as it’s a serious offence over there.
Raph71
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Raph71 »

If your Caddy has a yellow sticker, your vehicle registered after January 2011 is in Crit'air 2 and you will therefore not be disturbed this year. ;)
On the other hand, if you plan to return next year, you will be banned from driving in many large cities. :|
Regarding the breathalyzer, it is no longer mandatory in the vehicle.
However, you must have a fluorescent vest and a safety triangle.
I didn't quite understand one of the previous posts (google translations are sometimes fancy!!..) but if you have a radar detector, a word of advice, avoid getting caught!! Do not leave the horn (even turned off) on the dashboard, rather leave it in the trunk because if you come across an annoying cop, he will try to annoy you.. And it will cost you 1400 pounds and if you have aggravating facts such as excessive speed, at best, you will lose your license, at worst, you will be able to say goodbye to your Caddy… Yes, France is a real happiness for drivers in a hurry!! :evil:
The use of Waze, Coyotte, etc. is however authorized.
Last thing, you will find the signs "Feu vert" and "Norauto" in all major cities in case of concern. I would never recommend them in everyday use but when you have a problem in an unknown region, you look for them on google map and you are very happy to find them to be repaired!
If you have any other questions, do not hesitate, if I see the message, I will answer you with pleasure.
It is necessary that the French present on this forum serve a little for something sometimes!! :mrgreen:
Cartel1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Cartel1 »

Thanks for all the advice.
I don't have a satnav but I do use Waze on my iphone for directions, this gives speed camera warnings. Should this be turned off?
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

I believe it is only an offence when using radar detectors but I’d also heard if you had a satnav device like a tomtom that could get you in trouble if the speed trap warnings were turned on. I’ve glanced at a few google posts and supposedly Waze is ok on your phone or the headunit with the speed warnings on but can’t find the specific law ruling to know for sure.