Front end Mk4

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Peterpan21
100BHP+

Front end Mk4

Post by Peterpan21 »

Ok so looks like I’ve got the chance to buy a full Mk4 front end including rad pack and doors / door cards.
Genuine and I trust the supplier. Cash on collection or bank transfer on collection so it’s all safe and legit.
That’s the first thing out the way.
Have to be careful now with these things, there are so many scammers out there

But it does not come with the dashboard, as far as I am aware so far. Still waiting on that answer.
Currently, I have an MK3 highline but have already installed a Touran MK3 dashboard and door cards.

My question is this to those that have done this conversion and know the facts. Or to those that are confident in their answer.

Will the MK4 doors and door cards along with the new quarter glass by the dashboard that I am getting Fit with my Touran MK3 dashboard?
Or does this conversion rely on you putting a caddy MK4 dashboard in as well to make it work correctly?

It may turn out that he does not have the dashboard for some reason. Not sure why not, but let’s assume he doesn’t.
I don’t want to spend over £2000 to find it does not work with my dashboard…

Finally I also have the caddy life aftermarket mirrors. Do they stay or if it also different mirrors?

Really appreciate some honest and genuine answers!
Thank you in advance
fishynos72
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: Front end Mk4

Post by fishynos72 »

Hello,

I can offer some first hand assistance, as I've converted my MK3 to MK4 front, dash and door cards.

There's others on this forum who have completed the swap. Personally I can't speak for swapping the front doors themselves as I didn't go that far.

The videos below may help;

external facelift work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzGxY4iTbko

Dashboard swap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP8zB2c7vBg
How many is too many Volkswagens?
Peterpan21
100BHP+

Post by Peterpan21 »

Hey.

Do you know if my current Touran MK3 dashboard can stay or do i need to put a Caddy MK4 dashboard in also?
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

To run the MK4 door cards you will have to run the matching dashboard.

The Touran cards can be used with a MK3 dash- but from experience I know the MK3 cards can't be run with a MK4 dash.
Peterpan21
100BHP+

Post by Peterpan21 »

fishynos72 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:28 pm To run the MK4 door cards you will have to run the matching dashboard.

The Touran cards can be used with a MK3 dash- but from experience I know the MK3 cards can't be run with a MK4 dash.
Ok understand
So to confirm and I guess unless I get a caddy Mk4 dash to complete it all in caddy parts it can’t really be done?

Or can you use touran mk3 dash then keep my current touran mk3 door cards into caddy mk4 doors.
I think that’s unlikely to work but I really don’t know?
I was sure I had seen someone’s Caddy mk3 - mk4 front end conversation done with them leaving in their prior fitted mk3 touran dash?

Maybe it was a mk4 caddy dash they had.
I can’t find the build on here now.

Getting hold of the caddy mk4 front end and all the parts was lucky but I’ve got them on first refusal so got another day before they quite rightly let it go to someone else.
Who unless they have a caddy mk4 dash are going to be up against the same issue as me. Along with probably everybody else who wants to do the conversion by the sounds of it.
I’ll hold out just incase there is away that somebody else may have done.
Like I said above. Could you use the Touran MK3 door cards with Dash, but with Caddy MK4 doors?
Or do you literally need everything including an MK4 dash!
Ahhhhhhhh headache and the install hasn’t even started it’s looking less and less like an option now
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

You can install the mk4 caddy front, leaving the mk3 doors and all the inside of your vehicle in it's current mk3 state.

The only time a mk4 dashboard is required- if you want to run mk4 door cards.

You can run mk4 door cards on a mk3 set of doors with some work.
Peterpan21
100BHP+

Post by Peterpan21 »

But on the MK 4 Caddy, there is a line that runs from the front wings in to the doors.

If you change the bonnet to an mk4 and front wings to an mk4 you really do need to use MK4 doors. It kind of defeats the object of the conversion to not do it properly.

So to answer my own question. It looks like unless you have an MK4 dashboard you cannot do the conversion properly.

It’s a real shame, but I have priced at all
Even getting a good deal on all the front and pieces call it
£2300
Plus a new dashboard from TPS(never seen a used one)
£1500
Plus paint
£500
Plus help with install.
£500
= £4800
Call it £5000 as there will be bits and looms no doubt forgotten.
There is also some welding to do and cutting
I seriously think all in all it would cost £5500 no less
Which is completely out of budget.
I could sell the van spend £5500 and have a two-year old newer van with probably half the amount of miles on it and it be a genuine MK4!
obviously if I do this, it will be missing all the modifications. I have currently done on the MK3.
What I am potentially thinking of doing is trying to buy an MK4 and keep the MK3. Then move all my modifications over to the MK4 that can be and so the MK3 is close back
to a stock van.

but it’s unlikely, I would be able to afford to have two vans at the same time. So the other option is to sell the MK3 in its current condition, which means finding someone who appreciates all the work.
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

Dashboard on eBay for £1175, still missing bits, all in all I stil think that's madness money for a front end

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255716422873 ... media=COPY

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Lister79 »

Have a look at Wayne’s build thread, he carried out full MK4 facelift and retained his Touran dash and cards. There are a few others that have done it also.
It’s possible, just depends how much effort you’re willing to put in.

https://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23342
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Peterpan21 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:13 pm So to answer my own question. It looks like unless you have an MK4 dashboard you cannot do the conversion properly.
I would suggest that statement is incorrect, as I made MK4 door cards fit MK3 doors and MK3 latches, I would suggest with a similar amount of work the reverse is possible.

I don't understand what your aversion to swapping in a MK4 dashboard is?
Peterpan21
100BHP+

Post by Peterpan21 »

I’m not against a Mk4 dashboard in fact I’d like one
However they cost an absolute fortune new.
Plus I have never seen a used one for sale.

Plus for me I’d want mk4 doors that’s my issue.
The mk3 doors do not match the mk4 front wings as the line does not follow though as it does on mk 4 doors.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Regarding the cost of a dash, I found wrecking yards tend to have little interest in such an item.
Not a lot of people want them meaning the demand isn't as high compared with an engine or gearbox.

Unfortunately modifying cars well isn't cheap nor a good 'investment'.

Your suggestion of returning your MK3 to stock, and sourcing an actual MK4 to modifying might in the end, work out better for you.

For me my MK3 cost $1,250, at the time a MK4 was $45,000.

Everyone has different situations.