Cruise control and trip stalk

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Jimbo87
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (83bhp)

Cruise control and trip stalk

Post by Jimbo87 »

Good evening,

I have just bought my first caddy and recently bought the cruise control and trip stalk to replace the standard startline versions.

I know I need vcds to activate this and was wondering if anyone in Northern Ireland / Ireland that can help me.

If not is it possible to change the coding using obd 11?

Thanks
gazwilson
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Cruise control and trip stalk

Post by gazwilson »

I've just done the cruise control and trip stalk upgrade on my sons 2014 Caddy 1.6tdi. It was fairly straight forward but take your time with the little plugs around the steering control unit, (I recall there is 5 in total) they slid off fairly easily having said that once I had worked out how the release clips work.
I'm pretty sure you will need VCDS to code the steering wheel module and also the engine module to let the car know that the cruise is fitted. Sorry I'm not closer to you or I would offer to help. Coding took 2 mins max!
Rory
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Rory »

Did mine with Obdeleven. Same process as with vcds, just tick boxes in engine and steering column module

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zooks
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by zooks »

Any updates on how this went?

I also bought the cruise control and trip stalk upgrade for my 2012 base cargo Caddy (no multifunction display or wheel) back in September, but I'm just getting around to figuring everything out now.

I can't seem to find the M12 spline / XZN bit where I live, so I was thinking to get a Torx TX55 bit because I've seen it work for some, does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks @Rory for suggesting OBDeleven, I really didn't want to shell out for VCDS and all the kit, and it seems like a great option!
I have seen one video where it's used on a similar retrofit, so it's good to know that it also works for this one.
Bahnstormer
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by Bahnstormer »

The splines on the bolt are quite fine so I personally wouldn't risk a T55 with them - you really don't want to round them off!

This is the kit that I got, the quality is great for the price! Granted this is from the German site, but I think it should also work for Switzerland too - https://www.amazon.de/Lexivon-Spline-Pr ... VKVWH9SG40

On the subject of OBDEleven, it's really is very good for the money, I've used it for my CC stalks and also multi-function steering wheel coding. I got the "pro package" which doesn't use the token system. The token are useful if you're planning on using the "apps" - basically, an "app" is an automated coding sequence that someone has programmed so you don't need to know which modules code. For example, if you wanted to enable the gauge sweep at startup, you could either find your way around the modules and enable it, or just click on the "needle sweep" app and it'll do all that for you. Personally, I prefer to do it manually, so I know exactly what's been changed and I'm also learning something at the same time.
Last edited by Bahnstormer on Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zooks
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by zooks »

Thanks for the tips!

In the end, I went for this spline bit kit: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B01DUK1IT ... yp_imgToDp
It was actually a bit cheaper than the hex kit that you suggested, hopefully it does the trick.

+1 on understanding what's actually going on, funny that you mention the needle sweep, I was thinking about that one :D
Bahnstormer
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Bahnstormer »

Ooh, I hadn't noticed that was the hex set! :lol: I've corrected the link now, just in case anyone else is looking for one too.
zooks
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by zooks »

Thanks again for the help!
zooks
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by zooks »

Wanted to post a bit of an update: just did the install, and everything’s working great!

The M12 spline from the set did the trick on the wheel with a 3/8” socket wrench and a short extender.

The only hiccup was getting the airbag out, it really did not want to budge.
After 30 minutes of wrangling with my phone’s front facing camera to see behind the wheel and a head torch to light things up, I did get it to come out though.
It seemed like when I pushed down the spring bar, the airbag was actually being pulled into the wheel instead of releasing.
I needed to push straight down with the very tip of the screwdriver instead of levering it down, which seemed to let the driver slip between the bar and the post locking it up. All the while pulling hard on the edge of the airbag to finally get the bar to catch on the underside of the retaining post.
Then I repeated on the other side and a final pass on the first side got it free of the posts.
At that point, the airbag was a bit wedged in, so i just pulled hard holding on both edges, and it came completely free.

After that, it was straightforward to unscrew and unplug the other bits before replacing the stalks and doing everything in reverse.

The long coding to activate the cruise and MFD was also super easy, just flipping 2 bits for each.

Thanks again to Rory and Bahnstormer for the tips!
CB13
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by CB13 »

Bahnstormer , what exactly did you have to change to activate it? i have fitted the new stalks today and checked my SCM is compatible (5K0-953-569-AC). tried to activate using OBD11 but does not seem to be doing it?
Bahnstormer
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Bahnstormer »

For CC on the indicator stalk (This does not work if it's on the MFSW):

In the Engine (01) control unit:

Long coding > byte 25 > Cruise Control > change to "installed"

In the Steering Column (16) control unit:

Long Coding > 11 Geschwindigkeitsregelanlage im Blinkerhebel > change to "Installed"

I think that's it.....

As with any procedure involving re-coding, I'd recommend you perform a backup first, just in case.
Rhinopower
Caddy Fan

Post by Rhinopower »

Vcds has a debug folder. All coding changes are saved anyway to be safe