Rough idle and missfire help

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Urbanpaintworks
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Rough idle and missfire help

Post by Urbanpaintworks »

Im sure this has been asked or is quite a common issue.

Basically i have 1.6 2011 caddy on 120k (only just got it)
Seems fine to start no smoke atall but once warm say just had a blast down motorway it will idle really rough between 800/1000 revs engine rocks and shakes the van also sounds down on a cylinder..

Have read plenty of injector issues, but van starts well and runs well without smoke upto the point it's properly warm.. no dash lights etc..

Wondering if it could be something else?

Any help appreciated..
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Rough idle and missfire help

Post by Doc »

It definitely sounds like an injector problem but it's very weird that it only raises its head when warm.
First point of interest would be the ECU fault codes and check of the injector correction values. If it's had a replacement injector and that has not been coded, these sort of symptoms result.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Urbanpaintworks
Caddy2k Groupie

Hi did, if it was consistent I would have gone straight for injector myself.
Should vagcom bring up fault if injector is at fault?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Maybe not a fault code but there are lots of measurement values which are useful and will help pinpoint the problem source.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Urbanpaintworks
Caddy2k Groupie

Would you happen to know how to read the values and what they should be ?
lukeclark498
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by lukeclark498 »

Did you manage to solve the rough idle issue? I currently have exactly the same issue as you.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
pizzaman
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by pizzaman »

i have same problem
aa put new injector in and on idle when warm it sort of lumpy tick over
but drives ok

if he has coded it wrong would it cause this
but i do smell fuel unless something aint nipped up properly as diesel was squirting all over after he done so they came bk out and fixed the leak
but i do still smell diesel
and then i noticed the lumpy idle
lukeclark498
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by lukeclark498 »

I managed to solve the issue with my van.

I thought it was going to be injectors for sure so i removed the rocket cover to start with and tested each one with a multimeter and they all seemed fine and within tolerance. Be careful when removing each of the connectors to the injector, as these can be quite brittle given that they sit in oil all of their lives. Have your multimeter set on resistance and check each of the injectors. I cleaned the terminals with contact cleaner once complete and refitted.

Replaced rocket cover gasket and bolts once finished as the bolts are one time use. Torque spec for bolts are 10Nm and should be torqued in sequence.

Removed the old fuel filter and syphoned out all the old fuel of the filter housing and replaced the filter with OEM spec. I then dropped the oil and went with liquid moly 5w30. Van ran absolutely perfect after that.

Just for peace of mind i had a local mobile mechanic come out, he confirmed in my case that it wasn't injector related and plugged his Autel in to read values. No codes showed up either on the scan.