Aerial problems

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Caddynewbie36
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Aerial problems

Post by Caddynewbie36 »

I’m having trouble with the reception in my caddy 2011 van. Someone before me replaced the drivers side wing mirror with a bigger one think it’s for towing a trailer. I’m lead to believe that the aerial in the caddy is located in the wing mirror is this the drivers side ?? As my reception is patchy at best an often fades in an out. I’m was wondering if they have damaged the connection when changing the wing mirror or does it block the signal in any way ?? Are the wing mirrors easily changed, where can I find a guild or a how to to under take the task. I was thinking it might tell me in the Haynes car guide. With Santa soon on his way I was going to ask for a copy if it would be helpful or not ???
DeanWhit
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Aerial problems

Post by DeanWhit »

Do you use a cig socket phone charger? If so it could be that
Caddynewbie36
Caddy Fan

Post by Caddynewbie36 »

No the cigarette charger/lighter isn’t used the blank is there nothing else. Why would this effect the radio ?
Bahnstormer
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by Bahnstormer »

The drivers wing mirror on a Caddy is larger than the passenger side from factory, so are you sure it's been changed?
Beaker2135
Hyper Poster

Post by Beaker2135 »

As stated the mirrors are asymmetrical on Caddy’s from the factory
AFAIK the FM antenna is in both mirrors and if relevant the GPS & DAB are in the passenger mirror
Most people who want to upgrade fit a shark fin on the roof
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
Caddynewbie36
Caddy Fan

Post by Caddynewbie36 »

Ok my mistake it may of not been changed then it’s just as the reception is poor at times and one mirror is bigger than the other I thought it had been changed. Is it an easy upgrade to add a sharks fin can anyone do it ? Plus can you easily take apart the wing mirrors to check the wires/signal. Mine van doesn’t have DAB I dnt think so would the problem for my reception issues be in the drivers side mirror please ?
Bahnstormer
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by Bahnstormer »

Fitting a sharkfin (or any external antenna) is pretty easy, as long as you're confident and happy to drill a big hole in your roof :lol:. I fitted a small bee-sting type to mine a little while ago. Mine's mounted in the cab roof, so I didn't have a long cable run etc. to deal with. It looks a bit goofy but I can't see it when I'm driving so I don't really mind.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

I recently changed the mirrors in my 2011 van. I was originally going to swap the aerial from my old one to my new one, however it was literally falling to bits in my hand as I tried to remove it. I left it in as I don’t listen to FM radio these days anyway.
What I’m getting at is yours could be in a similar condition hence the patchy signal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Garycloona
Caddy Fan

Post by Garycloona »

I have the same issues with my radio reception. Has an intermittent fault for “Ariel no2 open circuit”. I think I’m going to fit a shark fin instead.
Caddynewbie36
Caddy Fan

Post by Caddynewbie36 »

Not sure if mine has an Ariel fault no codes show up when I test it. Might just take the current wing mirrors apart a check all the connections. Would like to add a DAB receiver but might have to ask Halfords about fitting that one. Just nice to have a constant sound from the FM one instead of it fading in an out. I know you can get the chrome covers for the wing mirrors an I’m told they affect the signal. But I’ve not done anything to my van a the signal is poor can not speak for the owner before me though. Think it will just be the drivers side mirror as I’m sure that’s where the signal comes from.
Rob.
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Rob. »

My reception is rubbish too.

Is there an OEM upgrade DAB aerial that fits in the mirror?
Caddynewbie36
Caddy Fan

Post by Caddynewbie36 »

Not sure about the upgrade I just bought a device that plugs into your cigarette lighter. And then you can connect your phone to the radio and use my 4g signal through my phone to play music or radio stations. I did this cause I’m a novice not a mechanic so wasn’t keen on taking anything to bits to explore that patchy signal from my radio. I could not find a guide on the net of how to go about the process. All I could find out was the antenna is in the wing mirrors. A lot of people suggested a sharks fin antenna. But to fit one of those it needs you to drill a hole in the roof of the van something I wasn’t keen or prepared to do. DAB upgrade would be nice but using the device I can get that through my mobile phone providing you have a good 4g signal.