CarPlay headunit confusion…

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Marcmcq90
Caddy Fan

CarPlay headunit confusion…

Post by Marcmcq90 »

I’m looking to swap out my stock headunit in my mk4 66 plate caddy life.
I’ve been looking at the RCD330/360’s due to it supporting park pilot and being OEM. There seems to be a few different manufacturers and I can’t tell the dofference between the 330 and 360?

Can someone suggest/ recommend if I go for the lemonshark/ no name/ desay and whether to go for the 330/360?!

Also, does anyone know the differences?

Last question… would it be possible to somehow connect my phone to the new headunit via the factory usb in the armrest compartment? Or does this have to strictly be connected through the usb on the front of the HU?
Damo2k
Twin Turbo poster

Re: CarPlay headunit confusion…

Post by Damo2k »

Of sure of differences but iv recently installed an rcd360 pro 2 android auto it's Chinese copy but looks very good quality and am well happy with it

Yes as far as I know cable has to be connected via head unit

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Marcmcq90
Caddy Fan

Post by Marcmcq90 »

Thanks for the reply. Are you happy with it? Where did you get it from and what did it cost you?

I’m noticing vast differences in pricing across all the options too!
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Post by RY_VW »

The 360 isn't oem it's a copy.

The only difference I know of between desay and noname is the noname has android auto.

Lemonshark I think its just a seller on the likes of aliexpress and stuff- may be wrong

And excuse my terminology, i dont do technology but My noname needs a port/inlet soldering onto the circuit board and running to the back of the HU to accept this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connecting-Har ... 1557869403

If your usb is like this then that is an option BUT and this is a big but, iirc you can get the head unit with the port/inlet in already but may be wrong.
63 plate 1.6tdi startline in reflex silver
Colour coded-Audi s3 alloys-Seat leon seats-Van style roof rails-Needle sweep-cruise control.
RCD330-lowered on kw stx coilovers
More to follow 8)
Marcmcq90
Caddy Fan

Post by Marcmcq90 »

I did not know that… so is the 330 OEM?

Minefield!
Mrsloth
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Mrsloth »

Where is the best place to get one of these units from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Post by RY_VW »

The 330 is oem, I got mine here https://audiotechdirect.com/noname-rcd3 ... swagen-pq/

Have a few niggles about it that were never sorted(pixels missing on android auto logo sometimes)so wouldn't fully recommend them but would choose them over the likes of aliexpress. The phone sometimes wouldnt connect but put that down to the lead, possibly the loose usb port too(currently wedged with cocktail sticks)

Am I happy with it though?yes I can use android auto for Google maps and Spotify so they're the box tickers for me.

I did chase the pixels up with them asking for an exchange but insisted on them contacting vw regarding a software update but didn't hear back from them but also didn't chase it up.
63 plate 1.6tdi startline in reflex silver
Colour coded-Audi s3 alloys-Seat leon seats-Van style roof rails-Needle sweep-cruise control.
RCD330-lowered on kw stx coilovers
More to follow 8)
Russ74
100BHP+

Post by Russ74 »

Hi Our Polo 6s comes out in South Africa with the car play android auto as an option. I have one in my caddy works brilliantly it’s named RCD340
The 6RF is the Part Number
The difference between the 330/340 and the 360 is the 330/340 has an aux Jack where as the 360 doesn’t Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dhm012
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by dhm012 »

In my 2008 Caddy I installed a T'eyes cc3, and I totally recommend it.
It's not OEM and doesn't look like the OEM headunits, but it fits perfectly, looks great and is easy to install.
It's cheaper, has a bigger screen and supports all the car functions (parking sensors, steering wheel controls...)
It also has much more functions then OEM, you can even install a 360° bird view camera.
It has wireless Carplay.

It supports the default USB port but you need an adapter like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Switch-Adapter ... RDMCXG/ref

As for the no name 330/360 just check if it has a normal USB port on the back, if it does you can connect it using the adapter I posted the link to.
(You can find the adapter cheaper on ebay or aliexpress)
John M
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by John M »

I had one but I couldnt get away with the terrible tinny sound. nae bass at all...
Cad_dog
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (83bhp)

Post by Cad_dog »

hi dhm012,

I'm looking to get one of the CC3's as the Kenwood upgrade i got with the van is terribly slow!

My connector is MQP, was this the same as yours? If so, how did you get on with connecting things like rearview camera, GPS, USB? There are limited docs on the CC3 so I want to get all the bits needed lined up before ordering!

Hoping that I can just plug and play the camera and GPS, its the USB which could be more tricky.

Thanks