Plastic trim paint advice

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Jase14
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Plastic trim paint advice

Post by Jase14 »

Hi,

I have been looking through the forum via the search button but not having much luck, so I’m collecting bits ready to remove the side mouldings on my maxi as they have been bleached by the sun and just wondering what primer I need to attach to the plastic and would normal rattle can over the top be okay ?

Cheers Jase
steevs
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Re: Plastic trim paint advice

Post by steevs »

Is this the outside black trims around the vehicle? Have you tried a product like C4 permanent trim restorer?

I used that on my old 2000 polo and it lasted years before we sold the vehicle.

Typically if you sand plastic down with sandpaper and use a rattle can and primer made for plastic, it will adhere - done a satin finish on a Fabia 3 spoiler once and it turned out pretty good.
Jase14
Caddy Fan

Post by Jase14 »

Yes it is the door and side trims, I have tried various trim restorers and it still goes grey after a time so I thought f*** it I’ll paint them so here I am asking :D
Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

wurth black plastic dye. did my trims a year ago. still black...
Ricksy1121
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Ricksy1121 »

Do you have a link to the dye you used, mine are also faded and interested in a good solution to bring them back.
Caddy 1.2tsi 2018 - fiat 126 bis 1991- bond bug 1971
Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

https://eshop.wurth.co.uk/Product-categ ... en/GB/GBP/

not promoting this place to buy it (just googled) but it's this stuff
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Is that pernament lockstock or does it wash off and need reapplying?
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Startline
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Startline »

Semi-permanent, I would think. The Google translation of the German language technical document says:

Characteristics:
 Due to its long-lasting effect, the treated surfaces are optimally refined, it cares for, colors and
impregnates the material.
 Resistant to car washes and abrasion.
 Not resistant to salt water and not suitable for continuous exposure to standing water.
 Low odor and environmentally friendly.

It's worth noting that it is available in two colours - Black and Anthracite. The anthracite version is stated to have a much longer shelf life than the black version.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Thanks startline,

There was mention of a fluid sold at super markets very cheaply that works well but I can't remember what it is, although I know it isn't it was somthing like mortisons toilet cleaner or somthing strange like that.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Killomiter
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Killomiter »

I noticed recently that the Company who's main product over the years called Owatrol. Brilliant product by the way. ...
Well these guy's are now making another product and it is called Polytol. It is basically a restorer like Owatrol but specifically for poly's.

Hope this helps

Andy
3rdLeg
100BHP+

Post by 3rdLeg »

@scoobysrt you talking about linseed oil?
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Im pretty sure it wasnt that, it was some sort of detergent or bleech that someone found on the shelf that they said brings the colour back perminatley, others tried it and it became the thing for a short while. I'll have a search and try to find the posts.
Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

the wurth stuff, I went for black. my trim had various white blemishes and a lot of the bumpers were pale grey.

i did them in September last year, and they still look pretty good now (although van needs a clean).

I used a bit less than half a tube for maxi front and rear bumpers and grill and side trims.
So if you go to town with it, you will get at least two separate full applications.

I cant say for aure how long will last but nearly a year and still good. so I reckon reapply every 18m-2year?
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Seems pretty good, my dad put his power washer on mine to get the mud off at Christmas and has left swirl marks on the side mouldings :(
Lockstock
Hyper Poster

Post by Lockstock »

my van is due a jet wash at weekend, I'll try to get some before and after pics of the bumpers