What did you do to your van today?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Poffe
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: What did you do to your van today?

Post by Poffe »

raitis wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:35 pm I hope you got the recycled material OEM insulation under the Touran carpets as well. I wonder if there will be any centre console fitment issues with the extra layer added. The carpets have to hook onto the central air vents and the console also screws into them.

And my interior transformation is complete. I hit the jackpot and found a black leather adjustable armrest at a local breakers' yard. They sold it to me separately which is rare because most ask you to buy the whole Touran interior.
Yes, i did get the insulation as well. Since I removed it from the car myself, and it was frozen... I got the centre console and the carpets, with insulation,very cheep. Paid around 18£. Unfortunately not a leather armrest, but grey textile. But fot that money I guess i can afford to reapolster the armrest.

Was it very tight fit? Maybe I should take some of or atleast testfit before I continue.
Caddy Maxi 1.6 TDI -2014. First time VW/Caddy owner, already deep in the rabbit hole
Adwano
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Adwano »

Got some tyres mounted to the new bola alloys picked up last week for the van.

Just need to give them a good clean after the visit to the tyre fitters and then ceramic coat and get on the van. Should make a big difference looks wise hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BurariRS
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by BurariRS »

They look class mate, make sure to upload a picture when they are on
Last edited by Doc on Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post.
PeakyPaul
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (83bhp)

Post by PeakyPaul »

So started doing the first things to my van..

Multi function steering wheel
Tiguan R line heated seats
Touran carpet plus some additional sound deadening under the carpet

Still to come,
Gloss black grille
Uprated headlight bulbs
Colour coded front/rear bumpers
Rear parking sensors
Soundproof/carpet rear
Attachments
PXL_20240209_155612225.jpg
PXL_20240203_135426628.jpg
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

@Adwano. Looking forward to seeing your gold Bolas on mate. I’m having thoughts about new wheels and like the idea of gold/bronze.

Rescue me from the swans in me
Adwano
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Adwano »

Hoping the colour goes well the blackberry, used to have a grey transporter with similar colour wheels and looked awesome. Hoping to get them on this weekend and get some pics up.

The wheels are so light, come across bola doing a super light series wheel, think each one is only about 8.5kg or so.

Bahnstormer
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by Bahnstormer »

Fixed the issue of it attempting to steer into oncoming traffic :lol:

Had the tracking done on Friday and on the drive home, noticed it was pulling slightly to the right. Went back and told them, so they had another look but couldn't find anything wrong. I thought maybe it was just me being overly sensitive to the new geometry (not the the tracking was that far out tbh).

Fast forward to this morning, get an ESP error pop up on the dash. Plugged it in and scanned for codes, to be greeted with "Steering angle sensor mechanical failure" - bugger! Decided to check the measuring blocks and it was about 17 degrees out, so then I performed the basic settings procedure and the steering limit stop adaptation and was very relieved to see the DTC clear. Took it for a quick drive to check it wouldn't come back on and there's no more pulling to the right!
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

@the swan fiend I do like BG blue and bronze

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by petrev »

Bahnstormer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:46 pm Fixed the issue of it attempting to steer into oncoming traffic :lol:

Had the tracking done on Friday and on the drive home, noticed it was pulling slightly to the right. Went back and told them, so they had another look but couldn't find anything wrong. I thought maybe it was just me being overly sensitive to the new geometry (not the the tracking was that far out tbh).

Fast forward to this morning, get an ESP error pop up on the dash. Plugged it in and scanned for codes, to be greeted with "Steering angle sensor mechanical failure" - bugger! Decided to check the measuring blocks and it was about 17 degrees out, so then I performed the basic settings procedure and the steering limit stop adaptation and was very relieved to see the DTC clear. Took it for a quick drive to check it wouldn't come back on and there's no more pulling to the right!
Great result - Well done on fixing it.
:thumbsup:
petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by petrev »

Yesterday (Vantrue N4Pro) and today (Viofo A239Pro) I tried out these 2 dashcams.

Vantrue seemed marginally better in daylight but I had tested it when it was sunny yesterday !! So I did a side by side night comparison and the Vantrue won by a significant margin.

Shame as the Viofo rear camera is better (2K Vs HD) but it is the front cam which is the main thing really (I think 🤔)

The Viofo was a good fit between the mirror and the shade but I feel I must go with the Vantrue.

Just a test fit - hanging down a bit !!!
20240212_120237~3.JPG
Also a test fit - Neatly out of the way...
20240213_141046~2.JPG
Poffe
Caddy Fan

Post by Poffe »

Not today, but yesterday (and a couple of late evenings earlier in the week to be honest).

Touran carpets and centre console along with a lot of noice and heat insulation.

Sent from my Nokia 3310
Caddy Maxi 1.6 TDI -2014. First time VW/Caddy owner, already deep in the rabbit hole
ibace
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (74bhp)

Post by ibace »

In your post you said
"Got mine remapped.
102 upto 193😂

Pulls a bit better now"

As a total Newbie [at my age; how can that be?] but what is the process of a "remap" and approximate cost? when I read your statement...it seemed to me that a something like an 89% improvement in output...must make a massive performance boost!

Any thoughts on mileage costs? I mean...does the performance boost accompany a corresponding efficiency output increase?

Am trying to be definitive here...so the output power/performance shows great improvements; but do these come with a similar increase in fuel consumption? Or...for instance is the output performance increase of say 90% accompanied by a cost increase ofa minimal degree?
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi ibace.
I’m not sure which post you’re referring to, but it sounds like someone who has a 2.0 TDI who has had a remap done.
A remap is quite straightforward, it’s an adjustment of the fuel/air mix perameters within the engines ECU to give more power and torque.
102 (or 140) to 190 hp on a 2.0tdi is a common upgrade and is done purely by computer by the mapper. The common 1.6 map is 102 to 140/145hp.
As for fuel consumption, if you drive as normal, you won’t see a difference, but if you use the extra power constantly and drive it like you’ve stolen it, then of course fuel consumption will decrease.

There are good mappers and bad ones, like anything in life. I used DubUnit, just outside Swadlincote. Matt, the guy who owns it is an expert in his field and well regarded on here.

Rescue me from the swans in me
CarlPerkins
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by CarlPerkins »

I am currently getting a return of 50mpg,
That’s on a 150 mile round trip with the last 10 miles driving like I stole it 😂
The difference in day to day driving is loads better
Smooth delivery but if you need to overtake, foot on the gas and your sorted
DaiCaddy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by DaiCaddy »

Todays jobs should have been simple, check over the van, as the conversion is getting towards the end. Need to do the oily, dirty bits!!!
The van was purchased back in September, always knew it needed a Cam Belt done and a proper 20k service to get it to a better condition, so lots of parts ordered, still awaiting some.
Todays job was to remove wheels check brakes and change brake fluid, front wheels off no problem, disks ok, needed rust clearing from vents, no other issues, phew
Rear wheels, well they had either not been off for a long time or some kind person rattled them on with a impact gun to crazy tightness!!! Anyway managed to get bolts off, wheels then removed. Hmm rear brakes were the worst I have ever seen, pad thickness err fag paper!!! Disks are scrap :cry:
The fun then started getting calipers wound in!! Had to remove one completly to get into workshop, the other I did manage on the van!!
So New disks and pads will be at Euro Car Parts Tuesday, then reassemble and change fluid.
Can anyone confirm torque settings, found these but.....
Rear Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolts 35 Nm, new ones with pads, hopefully
Rear Brake Caliper Mounting Bracket Bolts 90 Nm + 90° (multi-point socket head) The bolts on mine are normal 6 sided bolds, are they the same torque settings?