caddy maxi life practical improvements and bike race wagon

Show off your caddy
Dr268
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

caddy maxi life practical improvements and bike race wagon

Post by Dr268 »

isnt going to be the most exciting build thread

more of how to improve a slightly abused Caddy into something reasonably tidy looking and more importantly more functional for me.

my main reason for buying the Caddy maxi was to carry my trials bikes in the boot, we still have a Peugeot Tepee here that will carry 2 bikes (some do doubt it) but its just a bit short and my son is taking it away soon.

my initial feeling is that the Caddy is a lot more solid than the Tepee, but one is French

picture below is her just home and washed, I will post the faults soon.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2psEmPe]Image
Dr268
Caddy2k Groupie

the main faults

Post by Dr268 »

He reversed into a post, getting fixed next week and aiming to fit reversing sensors so I dont repeat

had a problem with a gate post

he was rough and didnt seem to know how to hoover

a ball hitch for towing agricultural machinery and a badly eaten bumper
Dr268
Caddy2k Groupie

the good bits

Post by Dr268 »

the bikes fit in no bother

strapping points need improved
Dr268
Caddy2k Groupie

peugeot tepee is bigger than most think

Post by Dr268 »

Peugeot is a practical wee van but a bit boaty and just a bit short

Dr268
Caddy2k Groupie

advice on what to do with these

Post by Dr268 »

wrap
replace
paint
carpet

what's the simplest way to improve these panels without going mad ?

thanks

SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: caddy maxi life practical improvements and bike race wagon

Post by SnoWhite »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Given the planned use, one of the first upgrades I suggest you investigate is to contact a VW dealer and see if they can order the VW full length flexible plastic liner to protect the rear carpet. The liner is incredibly strong and huge coverin the whole rear load floor with middle and rear row seats removed. It can be quickly removed and hosed down which makes carrying muddy bikes much less of a hassle.

As for secuning the motorbikes I carry them with the side stand down and I use R&G Canyon Dancers to secure the handlebars and many many quality rachets straps to hold everything in place.
With a well filled roof box I have carried a VFR800F and a Street Triple 765 loading ramps and service awning tent and 2 weeks gear inside my Maxi on a trip from the Alps to the Isle of Man. The Caddy never missed a beat.

Beware of cheap liner equivalents on eBay but I found they were very poor quality material and quickly split - so when it comes to protecting the rear carpets this is one thing to buy the genuine VW article. Just make sure you get the version for your maxi life version. The VW liner is designed to protect the whole load area with lips at the side to contain any spills. If you also want to carry the middle row seats tipped up you will find the liner have indents formed into the plastic to show you precisely where cut outs would be needed in the liner to fit the liner and yet keep the middle row seats in place.
Dr268
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dr268 »

thanks for the reply

I currently use a large rubber backed floor mat but i will look into a full liner, I didnt know they existed

The r and g canyon dancers are a great idea, I have used them before for road bikes as fairings etc make it difficult to get a strap on safely, trials bikes are not too bad as they are very minimal and easily straped

I need to get a few high up hook points and will probably use the loop handle mounts for something, the bikes only need held in upright lightly as they cant escape like on a trailer

many thanks

SnoWhite wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:01 am Hi and welcome to the forum.

Given the planned use, one of the first upgrades I suggest you investigate is to contact a VW dealer and see if they can order the VW full length flexible plastic liner to protect the rear carpet. The liner is incredibly strong and huge coverin the whole rear load floor with middle and rear row seats removed. It can be quickly removed and hosed down which makes carrying muddy bikes much less of a hassle.

As for secuning the motorbikes I carry them with the side stand down and I use R&G Canyon Dancers to secure the handlebars and many many quality rachets straps to hold everything in place.
With a well filled roof box I have carried a VFR800F and a Street Triple 765 loading ramps and service awning tent and 2 weeks gear inside my Maxi on a trip from the Alps to the Isle of Man. The Caddy never missed a beat.

Beware of cheap liner equivalents on eBay but I found they were very poor quality material and quickly split - so when it comes to protecting the rear carpets this is one thing to buy the genuine VW article. Just make sure you get the version for your maxi life version. The VW liner is designed to protect the whole load area with lips at the side to contain any spills. If you also want to carry the middle row seats tipped up you will find the liner have indents formed into the plastic to show you precisely where cut outs would be needed in the liner to fit the liner and yet keep the middle row seats in place.
Treeman
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Treeman »

I use my caddy for my bike and gardening gear and was thinking of removing the rear panels, there pretty battered and the pockets are usless

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk