Excess oil , DPF Problem?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Pinnacle100
Caddy Fan

Excess oil , DPF Problem?

Post by Pinnacle100 »

Hi everyone, looking for your thoughts on this .
I have a 1.6tdi and when changing my oil about 6 litres must of came out . Completely overflowed my 5l oil tray and I would hazard a guess that I cleaned up at least a litre off of the floor possibly more .
Am I right in thinking this points towards problems with the dpf or is there anything else that could cause this ? Any advice appreciated, thanks.
BenT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Excess oil , DPF Problem?

Post by BenT »

If your DPF's regenerating frequently and your engine oil isn't getting hot enough to boil off any fuel that's got into it through the regens, then possibly. Are your trips mostly short runs, or around town?

Now that you've presumably refilled the oil, why not keep an eye on the level and see if it rises? Could it just be that someone's overfilled it in the past?

If an injector's faulty and leaking fuel into one of the cylinders this could also cause your oil level to rise, but you'd certainly notice something was up if that was the case.
Pinnacle100
Caddy Fan

Post by Pinnacle100 »

Thanks for your reply .
Most days it’s a mix of driving but more motorways than in town.
Now you mention injectors I would say that they might not all be in great shape but I did need to have two replaced, 1 faulty the other one seized so that could explain it.
I regularly check my oil level and it’s always fine which is why I was surprised when so much came out.
Overfilled previously is a possibility but I know the mechanic who done the service and he’s pretty good I’ve used him for years. Not to say that he couldn’t have made a mistake but he doesn’t use bulk oil he just orders in what he needs so I doubt he would have just poured in the full bottle of oil and not checked but I suppose you never know
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

If you regularly check your oil level and it's been fine, is it possible you have the wrong dipstick on your engine?
I've seen someone on the forum in the past who'd managed to mix up dipsticks and was running with extra oil in.
If you measure your dipstick, maybe someone with the same engine can check against theirs.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
xav7
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by xav7 »

hello I had the same problem, frequent regeneration, I cleaned the karscher tput dpf has been good for 3 years
1.6 tdi 340000km
Pinnacle100
Caddy Fan

Post by Pinnacle100 »

Thanks for your replies.
Doc it is possible the dipstick is the wrong size. It’s 470mm long not including the orange handle part it looks and feels right but It could be wrong.
Xav7 did you remove the full dpf from the van and pressure wash ?