Petrol Caddy might have found one but high mileage

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
auld-vw-wifey
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Petrol Caddy might have found one but high mileage

Post by auld-vw-wifey »

Your all probably aware of the my ongoing saga about my search for a petrol Caddy. So out the blue managed to find one, only an hour's drive from me that I am viewing tomorrow. Private sale, the only thing I am concerned about is the mileage. It's a '68 plate 1.4 TSI Highline with 91,000 mls on it. Normally I wouldn't look at something with that mileage but I am running out of options and patience.

It supposedly has a full service history with paperwork. Was a VW demo before these owners purchased it 3 years ago. Going to do a car check online is VechicleScore okay that's what I normally use.

I have never owned any vehicle with that mileage on it. What should I do.

Thanks again peeps
Caddy Highline 1.4 TSI
BenT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Petrol Caddy might have found one but high mileage

Post by BenT »

I know nothing about that engine so I'd really be best to keep quiet. But...

I've had a 1.9 2003 Caddy with 140,000 miles that was completely worn out, with low compression, that guzzled a litre of oil per 600 miles or so. Much like my current car...

By contrast, I've also had a Golf with the 1.9 engine that I sold at 240,000 miles that used no oil and had great compression.

So, how the vehicle's been used, along with how it's been maintained, is perhaps a stronger influencer of engine condition than the mileage. Note that some components, like alternators, aren't sensitive to servicing and are mostly worn out by mileage.

That's just the engine. Don't forget about wheel bearings, drop links, suspension bushes, gearbox etc. that also wear out.

I actually prefer younger, well-serviced but high mileage vehicles as they've probably not been pootled around in on short runs and you know the bodywork'll last a good long time. It's then just a matter of fixing irksome things as and when they wear out. Perhaps make your decision on it's past MOT reports and how it drives?

I don't know if that helps...
auld-vw-wifey
Caddy Fan

Post by auld-vw-wifey »

Thanks BenT

look at the previous MOT'S and any advisories that were on it the guy said they have been fixed, so there should be paperwork. Really don't know what to do. Will see it tomorrow, but I am no mechanic. Obviously it's cheaper than most of the ones I have looked at, but not that cheap. But it does leave me with money in the pot that I could use.
Caddy Highline 1.4 TSI
PJD
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by PJD »

When buying
Condition is a non negotiable

Then 3 out of the 4 below have to be met.
I will compromise on one

Price
Evidence of service history
auld-vw-wifey
Caddy Fan

Post by auld-vw-wifey »

Thanks that makes a lot of sense. Viewing it today and if I like what I see going to get a pre purchase inspection done. Spoke to seller and he is happy with any kind of inspection.

Thanks
Last edited by Giddy on Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
Caddy Highline 1.4 TSI
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

If it’s been cherished by its previous owner (s) then I’d reckon it’ll be ok. It’s it’s been neglected….well, you know the score!

I’ve bought my last 3 vehicles with a good few miles on the clock and had no major issues. They were an A6 and A8 both with 75k on and my caddy, with 81k on.

I usually look at the MOT history, general condition and service history when making a choice. Also, modern vehicles wear higher mileages much better than vehicles from 25-30 years ago.

Think of a British Leyland car with 90k on the clock

If it all looks good and the price is right, I’d go for it mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
auld-vw-wifey
Caddy Fan

Post by auld-vw-wifey »

Just back from viewing it and have left a deposit, getting it inspected tomorrow for my peace of mind. It failed its last MOT with the rear Anti-roll bars pin or bush which have since been done seen the receipt. It also has an impressive service history. So fingers crossed this could be the one.

Thanks the swan fiend
Last edited by Giddy on Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
Caddy Highline 1.4 TSI
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Hope it’s the one mate.
Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
auld-vw-wifey
Caddy Fan

Post by auld-vw-wifey »

So I've left a deposit, agreed price and collect on Monday. Fingers crossed I've got a good one. Got a couple of things to get done but will no doubt be posting for help.

Thanks again.
Caddy Highline 1.4 TSI