Injector won’t fully seat

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
threadbareshorts
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Injector won’t fully seat

Post by threadbareshorts »

Ahoy folk!

Thanks to you guys I’ve had a great deal of the traps in injector replacement taken away from my 2013 1.6TDI injector replacement challenge.
My question to you is with the injectors out and whilst putting the new ones in, the #2 injector which was much more troublesome to get out, won’t seat, or at least seem to. I started tightening the clamp bolt down and only #1 started seating ans #2 was just sitting solid.

I’ve attached images of the old and new injectors, they’re as installed, #1 left, #2 right. The #2 is a right mess.
https://ibb.co/hcLFvXX
https://ibb.co/2n2F4sQ

Would a reasonable assumption be that the injector seat is covered in coke and needs a cleaning set bought and deployed?
I bought a Draper inspection camera today and the fracking thing doesn’t work on my Apple devices so can’t get eyes in there currently.

Any advice really appreciated
Paul
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Injector won’t fully seat

Post by Doc »

With the amount of crud between the copper washer and the rubber o-ring, I'm gonna say injector 2 was not seated correctly previously. Maybe an old copper washer is sat at the bottom?
Something has been allowing combustion gasses past the seal.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
threadbareshorts
Caddy2k Groupie

I managed to get the endoscope to work, douche here installed the wrong app, so was never going to work. Clean looking is #1 failed injector and crappy is #2

I’m glad you feel that way, as I feel the same too. It’s like that #2 has been throwing crap up from the cylinder for a long time. Weirdly or not, it’s #1 that’s dead, but I’m replacing both while I’m in there as they’re both “B” suffix code injectors. Bought a couple of the PFJones injectors as the replacements “A2C9626040080NEW” thanks to the references from all you kind folk in other threads here.
I’ve a Laser 6101 injector seat cleaning set turning up later in the week to sort it out and will report back in.
Last edited by Giddy on Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: embedded pictures into the post
threadbareshorts
Caddy2k Groupie

So, the news is, it looks like #2 does have a washer at the bottom of it. I can’t get clearer pictures, but the first link is #1 which looks clear albeit with some fuel deposits and #2 which has a ring looking thing separating the coke from the shiny.

The other great news is that whilst hoovering the crap out, the injector cap from the cleaning kit which I’d left in #2 whilst hoovering #1 I’m 99% dislodged and is now somewhere under the rocker cover.
I don’t -want to- have to take the cover off but I also don’t want an engine that’s eaten itself. Anyone care to speculate on the potential for damage with that floating around in there?

Have to now buy myself an injector washer puller. :( job by agonising job.
Last edited by Giddy on Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: embedded pictures into the post
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

I definitely wouldn't go running the engine knowing there's a foreign object under the rocker cover, there could be any amount of damage done depending where it ends up.

Can you fashion something into a ghetto depth gauge to measure the injector bores, that should indicate if there's something stuck at the bottom.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
threadbareshorts
Caddy2k Groupie

Ha! Yeah, I was going through the grief cycle in knowing I’d just made the job bigger. I’ll cross check and have another root around with the extendable magnetic wand before going full retard and popping it off.

For sure, I will do just that, I was just saying similar in a whinge to a mate. Any guidance on a reasonable buy for the washer/seal puller? I’m seeing between £25 and £100 for ultimately the same looking thing. Threaded/ridged cone on a stick with a slide hammer on.
This being my favourite
https://fjwsales.co.uk/product/welzh-we ... eal-puller
Damo2k
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Damo2k »

What always work for me to get stuck washers is my home made tool a wood bit like in pic a 7mm socket as far as I remember and long 1/4 inch extension..put down the bore lightly tap into the washer give few turn and out it should come...has yet to fail me..Image

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

threadbareshorts
Caddy2k Groupie

Tonight’s news is there is no washer. I used digital calipers and couldn’t get a different reading sufficent to indicate a washer present. Soooo, I got a bit more aggressive with the cleaning brush on the drill, I went against the “pull the ring down to 5mm from the tip” advice in the video Laser produced and left the brush full open so the filaments splayed deliberately to catch the full seat area. Took a few attempts and had to remove the injector plug for the last couple as it was getting stuck on the brush from the pushing and the idea of the plug rotating around albeit in the down tube, metal on metal seemed like a worse outcome than the remaining combustion residue dropping into the combustion chamber.

Results are pretty good.

https://ibb.co/sFXqK30
https://ibb.co/tBVvbRC

The injectors now seat and then plunk the last 5mm or so with a pleasing assuring push, so I feel its job done.

The bad news is the lost injector plug is still lost, so I’ve gotta take the rocker cover off to guarantee it’s not in there or retrieve it if it is. Anyone speculate the job time for a reasonably capable newbie - have the Haynes manual to hand, too.
threadbareshorts
Caddy2k Groupie

Well this German video is exactly the ticket. I’ve got the cover off and there’s some deep gulleys in the cylinder head.
Had a pass over it all with the magnetic wand (the plug is magnetic so I know it’ll come if near) and haven’t found it yet.

https://youtu.be/LvhG4KqBBhQ

Rain has stopped play and I’m gonna chew some food before going back and trying again.

Don’t like the idea of not finding it, but I have to draw a line under it at some point today and put everything back together
SkyRocket1976
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by SkyRocket1976 »

How did you get on with this?

Sounds like a similar experience to me.

I managed to push the bore plug through in to the combustion chamber and thought I was going to have to take the head off. Right until the point when I managed to fish the bloody thing out with a telescopic magnet!
PeterAFox
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by PeterAFox »

If it's really copper, a magnet won't help
SkyRocket1976
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by SkyRocket1976 »

PeterAFox wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:02 am If it's really copper, a magnet won't help
I don't think it's the copper washer that fell inside.

I think he was using a bite cleaning set and used a plug to seal the bore hole to stop crud falling in to the combustion chamber.