Random electrical issues?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Dan-87
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Random electrical issues?

Post by Dan-87 »

More niggly bits on the caddy!

I’ve got a few random electrical gremlins with the van-unsure if they are all connected or if there’s a couple of things at play here but I’m hoping someone can point be in the right direction,at least of where to start looking-I’m thinking either earth/wiring issue or cluster?

So at random I get

Lights on driver door come on and off-window & mirror switches

Abs/traction and handbrake lights blip on dash sometimes with audible buzzer

Speedo erratic/drops to zero

Dash lights dim

This generally happens momentarily and drives fine otherwise
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Random electrical issues?

Post by Doc »

Sounds like you have some faulty or damaged electrical wiring or modules.
Have you scanned the vehicle for fault codes?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
maxx007at
Twin Turbo poster

Post by maxx007at »

It all might come down to a rusty earthing point near the drivers door. I had similar issues with an Passat 3C from 2006. Also, the issue with the drivers door can also be a nearly broken earth wire in the loom, usually in the rubber grommet between the door and A pillar.
Caddy 2k (e.o.2004) (1.9 TDI(BJB), REMAP 103KW/145PS) Ravenna Blue
Passat 3C heated front seats, Premium 3D Color Cluster
Dan-87
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dan-87 »

Thanks guys !

An update on this, to be honest it’s not looking good!, I’ve done some initial checks of wiring/earths which seem ok.I’ve had to use the van for work the last few days and this morning I’ve now got the abs & traction light on permanently along with the handbrake warning light flashing-I also now have no Speedo and a fluctuating fuel gauge!

I’ve done a bit of online searching and it seems to be a common issue with the vw transporter involving those specific symptoms and looks like it points, at least on the transporter,to the abs pump/abs ecu! So I’m expecting the worst at this point! :(

I do have use of VCDS so will get it scanned but it’s my brothers
And he’s away on holiday for another week yet
PJD
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by PJD »

Also consider the wheel speed sensor. I had one go on an older Audi, it sent the speedo, traction control and ABS crazy because they are all reliant on speed data.
Dan-87
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dan-87 »

PJD wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 am Also consider the wheel speed sensor. I had one go on an older Audi, it sent the speedo, traction control and ABS crazy because they are all reliant on speed data.

Will do! Will get it scanned as soon as I can and go from there,could do with it being something like that if I’m honest,that would be a nice little win 🤞
Ropey 07
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Ropey 07 »

I've similar problem with a caddy,
I've narrowed it down to either a bad wire or the abs module could be faulty.

But check the wires before spending any money on an abs unit.

I ran a diagnostic on my van and it came back with "no communication with abs module".

I'll let you know how I get on with mine.
Dan-87
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dan-87 »

Ropey 07 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:30 am I've similar problem with a caddy,
I've narrowed it down to either a bad wire or the abs module could be faulty.

But check the wires before spending any money on an abs unit.

I ran a diagnostic on my van and it came back with "no communication with abs module".

I'll let you know how I get on with mine.
Yeh please do, and likewise I will do the same
Dan-87
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dan-87 »

Coming back to this as no-one likes a thread hanging!

I can’t exactly say what was the issue as I did a few things at the same time-or even if it’s deffo sorted it as it’s only been a few days but so far so good!

Basically, these issues just kept getting worse, along with some other symptoms-no locking/dull dash lights and radio on and off

So I removed the battery and tray to get a look at the earth & positive leads & fuse box etc, whilst that was out I realised it would be a good time to fit the new starter I’d got for the van (lazy starting when hot) so I changed the starter cleaning all the leads/connections as I went,I also removed some wiring that was tagged onto the earth/fuse box via midi fuse which was slightly suspect at the fuse and I also cleaned up the fusebox connections

In honesty there was nothing obvious amiss but I put it all back together and have done maybe 10 days/250 miles since with no problems