Page 6 of 8
Re: My blue caddy build thread
Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 4:21 pm
by Handyandy
Thanks lads if it wasn't for the brother in law telling me what to do I wouldn't have attempted it it was nearly good bye van and look for another. The brother in law has been itching to get his hands dirty but just coming back from surgery on his wrist he can't touch it so it's all down on me with what I know and him filling in a lot of blanks
Re: My blue caddy build thread
Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 4:29 pm
by Handyandy
Today's job was to strip the bits of the bottom end of mine and fit my diesel pump and alternator to the donor engine then just clean a load of parts and pipes ready to go back on as and when
Not the best place for cleaning parts but at least all the crud will disappear into the grass after decreasing and then taken to the sink to wash off and thoroughly dry



Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk
Re: My blue caddy build thread
Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 11:30 am
by Handyandy
Finally got the engine in with no issues and got it running (I'm saying no issues I forgot to connect up the cable plug for the water coolant sensor above the gearbox side so give out a few lights on the dash)but once connected and everything put back together all was good so everything has been washed and cleaned before going back in and just the bumper wheel arch liners and the wheels and it's back on the road yayy


Plus a new clutch while it was all apart made sense not to

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk
Re: My blue caddy build thread
Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 11:34 am
by the swan fiend
Nice one mate. Bet you’ve learned a lot doing that.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: My blue caddy build thread
Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 1:05 pm
by Sean1066
Awesome work there buddy.
Was it nice to get stuck in and do it yourself
Re: My blue caddy build thread
Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 1:16 pm
by Handyandy
@sean it was nice to know I've done it myself with someone telling me whats what because I didn't have a clue on some of the components but at least it's back on the road again
Re: My blue caddy build thread
Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:19 pm
by Handyandy
Just like to give a big thank you to @hef for the supply of a very low mileage engine which I used as the donor for my van
Re: My blue caddy build thread
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:32 am
by Handyandy
Replaced the cambelt yesterday as I put it back together with the original oem tensioner that was on hef's block which was outside and felt a bit gritty So a new kit has gone in to give me peace of mind now
I didn't realise how much stuff had to be removed to get to the belt I ended taking out the diesel filter and some of the diesel pipes coolant bottle engine mounts on both the block and bodywork and a few other bits and pieces not only to get access but to see what I was doing I'm not saying it was an easy job to do especially being the first one I've replaced but rewarding knowing you've done it yourself
Next job is a full service including the cabin filter if I can find where it is
Also I've ordered some poly bushes for the front lower wishbones so they should arrive soon
Re: My blue caddy build thread
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:52 pm
by Handyandy
New power washer and snow foam lance to replace the old
Definitely needed after Sahara sand fall

it had only been cleaned a few days before


Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk
Re: My blue caddy build thread
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:54 pm
by Handyandy
Van all booked in for custom exhaust to be fitted on 22nd September can't wait original exhaust has just come to the end of its life
Re: My blue caddy build thread
Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:34 pm
by Handyandy
New custom exhaust fitted today well chuffed with it

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk
Re: My blue caddy build thread
Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:09 pm
by the swan fiend
I like the exhaust mate. Who did it?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: My blue caddy build thread
Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:13 pm
by Handyandy
@swan a company called mpv performance they have a franchise with longlife exhausts I think they done a decent job plus the exhausts are guaranteed for life
Hopefully I will catch up with you tomorrow at Southport
Re: My blue caddy build thread
Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:15 pm
by the swan fiend
Ok mate, I’ll talk to you more about it tomorrow. You’ve just sewed a seed in my head there!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: My blue caddy build thread
Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:39 pm
by Handyandy
My way of thinking was I could buy a standard backbox fitted for probably £150 and it last say 2 years before it needs replacing so why not buy a custom stainless Steel one with a guarantee that's going to last the life of the van and save some money in the long-term for future mods
