Picture of spare wheel bracket hinge end fitment

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Pradcad
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Picture of spare wheel bracket hinge end fitment

Post by Pradcad »

SnoWhite wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:12 pm I suggest you start by crawling under the back of the Caddy and working out what if any of the parts needed are actually in place. My Maxi 4 Motion officially did not have a spare wheel when it left the factory so they just supplied the compressor and slime pack. However s spare wheel was a factory option available for LHD German Caddy maxi models.

When I checked under my Caddy I was pleasantly surprised to find that some of the parts needed to carry a spare wheel were actually installed so I removed them from my parts list. If I remember correctly the following parts were already attached by VW - parts 8, 11, 25, 26, 40.

So I only ended up ordering parts 6, 7, 9, 14, 17.

However that diagram does not look right to me especially item 14.

The holes in the end of the spare wheel support bracket (9) locate directly onto the hook (40) which I found was already welded to the underside of the floor. To prevent the spare wheel support bracket(9) coming loose, it is effectively locked in place by a metal rod which I guess is item (14) but mine definitely was not a straight metal rod. Mine was an l shape with a 90 degree bend at one end and with slots crimped into the other end so that it could not fall out or be removed with the tyre in place.

Also not shown on that diagram I also ordered up the extended Exhaust heat shield piece - these come with spring retaining clips (which will work loose and fall out) so buy a few extra clips. On my Caddy the mounting spikes for the longer heat shield were also in situ, so once I worked out the correct orientation it was a very simple and neat fix. I also purchased and carry a decent bottle jack, extending wheel brace and locking wheel nut key.

Hope that helps. PS the 4 Motion haldex unit does not prevent installation of a full size spare under the floor of a maxi - but it might prevent fitting one under a SWB model.

Have fun - Driving on mountain roads I have already needed to use my spare twice and on each occasion it happened it was of course during rain/snow. So I was very thankful that I decided to make the investment and thereby avoided a potentially long wait for rescue services..

SnoWhite
Thank you for the reply, it was useful yesterday when I finally got round to doing this one but that's what Christmases are for! I found that non of the parts were fitted to mine. I still am at a loss as to why the carrier wasn't included in the first place. Regarding the other parts, I did not find a use for the spacer (number 11), and found that the rod was easily bendable once fitted. The other item that I found missing was the little rubber piece you appear to need to stop the rod rattling. I also had to grind one of the retaining bolts down considerably as I hadn't considered how close the bolting plate would be to my towbar thus preventing me from getting the bolts in. Silly mistake really but I hadn't seen how long they were.

I just tek-screwed all my parts in place with a combination of fine and coarse threads depending on what they were going into; it was a little awkward this way but I imagine still easier than welding or bolting. I may regret it if I ever get round to turning it into a camper when the floorboards come up as they'll poke through a little, though they are in a trough of the flooring corrugation.

Anyway, I hope this helps any other 4motion owners, I know a lot go for the exterior carrier but they're tremendously in your face and come with other problems I imagine.

I've just got to get the extended heat shield now, that's the only thing I couldn't find online so I guess it's TPS, dealer or a breakers for that.

Thank again SnoWhite, have a great new year 😁
Poffe
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Poffe »

What is the biggest size of spare wheel you can fit in the spare wheel bracket? Since fitting 345mm discs and R32 brakes I need at least 18" rims.
Caddy Maxi 1.6 TDI -2014. First time VW/Caddy owner, already deep in the rabbit hole

Caddy Maxi - daily and camper build
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Width is the issue, your overall diameter will be much the same but from memory anything wider than a 195 on 6.5J wheel will be a struggle to get in.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

I’m running 17” rims with my R32/Quattro discs and calipers.
You might be best to stick with a standard steel wheel for your spare if you don’t mind the look for the occasional use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
Poffe
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Poffe »

Doc wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:43 am Width is the issue, your overall diameter will be much the same but from memory anything wider than a 195 on 6.5J wheel will be a struggle to get in.
Thanks Doc! With that info I think I will go ahead and follow in TS and start looking for OEM brackets and try to build a spare wheel holder for my maxi.
C Chis wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:02 am I’m running 17” rims with my R32/Quattro discs and calipers.
You might be best to stick with a standard steel wheel for your spare if you don’t mind the look for the occasional use.
Alright, thanks for the info! I was told that I needed at least 18” rims to fit those brakes. Haven’t done the job yet though. Waiting for warmer weather and less salt on the roads before fitting.
Even though I aim to fit a spare wheel I hope to use it rarely, and then steel ones will be just fine!
Caddy Maxi 1.6 TDI -2014. First time VW/Caddy owner, already deep in the rabbit hole

Caddy Maxi - daily and camper build
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

It's maybe not ideal but if you run a square setup (same spec wheel & tyre front and rear), you have the option of moving a rear wheel forward in the event of a failure on the front.
A 15" steel wheel will fit over all but the most elaborate or rear brake setups.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
azauhar
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by azauhar »

Hello! Did anybody managed to fit any size of spare wheel to SWB 4Motion caddy 2015-2020? Is there enough space for it? I already had two punctures in last few months and I would really need one spare wheel to fit underneath my Caddy. Thanks for your help.
Pradcad
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Pradcad »

azauhar wrote:Hello! Did anybody managed to fit any size of spare wheel to SWB 4Motion caddy 2015-2020? Is there enough space for it? I already had two punctures in last few months and I would really need one spare wheel to fit underneath my Caddy. Thanks for your help.
I seem to remember on here that someone found that it was too much of a squeeze in a SWB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
azauhar
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by azauhar »

Thank you for the info Pradcad.

For the SWB without 4 Motion I know spare wheel can fit. I am just not certain for the one with 4Motion. Even the thin spare wheel is acceptable. Did anybody really tried and succeed or failed? Thanks for your feedbacks.