Virtual cockpit in caddy iv

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
RKDesigns
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Virtual cockpit in caddy iv

Post by RKDesigns »

Giddy wrote:Vd Veer Engineering who developing a virtual cockpit controller to work with any VAG.

@RKDesigns do you know anything about them, maybe local to you? Image
Is 50km from my place but had never heard of this company. Can inform what’s possible if you want?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
24dr979
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by 24dr979 »

Is there a compatible virtual cockpit for Caddy?
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

There isn't one designed specifically for the Caddy yet. Its possible with modifications the MK6 Golf one could work but no one has attempted it yet and I suspect its going to be quite a tricky job.
EricsCaddy
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (83bhp)

Post by EricsCaddy »

Just as an update since this is going to be a slow one, the scirocco dash was the best the China company that makes the dashes could come up with to fit, looks a fairly good fit just eyeballing it but that doesn’t mean much lol
I’ve spent a fair bit the last few weeks with genuine xenons and discover media unit but this isn’t far away.
Last edited by dan@biali on Fri May 27, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote
2019 Caddy Highline, Heated screen, parking sensors, cruise, auto lights, virtual cockpit dash, custom blue seatbelts, heated GTE seats, GTE MFSW, climatic, rear camera, discover media nav, oem+ led headlights, GTE tartan doorcards, Audison sound system (project: highest spec highline :twisted: )
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

The cases are similar - mine had a Scirocco cluster fitted and just had to swap over the front of the case to the caddy one and it fits.
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

Do you recall how similar it was?
Since the digital version is built in and designed to be the shape of the scirocco dash, the trims can’t be swapped. I’m sure there’s minor room for trimming and adjusting but think most of the trimming will have to be done on the actual dashboard of the van.
2019 Caddy Highline, Heated screen, parking sensors, cruise, auto lights, virtual cockpit dash, custom blue seatbelts, heated GTE seats, GTE MFSW, climatic, rear camera, discover media nav, oem+ led headlights, GTE tartan doorcards, Audison sound system (project: highest spec highline :twisted: )
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

It’s a long time ago but my vague memory was its slightly too tall and slightly narrower as well so there’s a gap on the sides. Trimming the dash opening on the Caddy I think is going to be too difficult to do well, I reckon it would be simpler and cleaner to modify the scirocco cluster but who knows whether that’s even possible!
fishynos72
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by fishynos72 »

Much like what was posted above.

You would be best to consider something aftermarket,

I've noticed some website list the following aftermarket digital cockpit cluster to suit a mk6 diesel

https://rexsupersport.com/carbon-parts/ ... ter-meter/

A few reasons as to why I am cautious of the aftermarket unit.
  • My 2005 caddy would require replacement ABS pump/controller amongst other items to convert to Mk4 Caddy/Mk6 cluster that the unit uses as a base.
  • I am concerned with the quality of the aftermarket unit- a friend interstate has one in his Scirocco and claims the UI is very OEM looking and quick, but I feel the screen quality would be cheap, the resolution and glare factor would not match that of a factory digital cockpit cluster
  • Unsure if this concern is valid- but I assume a MK6 Golf cluster doesn't just drop into a Mk4 Caddy dashboard- So the housing of the aftermarket unit would require modifications to fit the caddy dashboard. Not something that is easy to do with the coolant and fuel gauges being on the sides of the unit.
  • finally if the unit gives any trouble at all, it would turn a very reliable van into a roadside/tow-truck ornament

I'd love someone with some hand on experience with those aftermarket cockpit clusters to weigh in on this conversation. Otherwise it's all speculation.
How many is too many Volkswagens?
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Lister79 »

I have a Scirroco cluster in my van and can confirm it will still need modified to get an acceptable fit. The two fixing tabs need relocated, material needs added and removed from out edge. It’s all possible as long as the cluster has trim plastic around the edge.

In work to give you an idea.

Finished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

Right, massive thanks to Lister79 then!

In my opinion it’s 100% possible then. You could technically fit the scirocco virtual cockpit now then using your current setup.

It might be a long way round but depending if the original caddy cluster and the scirocco cluster are identical internally then we have two choices

Buy the aftermarket virtual cockpit for a scirocco and mount the board to the caddy cluster assuming they have the same boards, chips, pin outs etc

Or….

Buy a standard scirocco highline cluster, get that all coded and immo linked, then modify that adding the aftermarket scirocco cluster.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

Just to add info, my Scirocco cluster was an earlier one that looks more like the Caddy cluster than Lister's.

EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

Great, that’s the image I sent to the company in China asking if it’s the same as the caddy, they said no but probably have no idea since they don’t seem to have VW Caddys :lol:
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

Do you have photos of it fitted in the caddy at all & did it take much work?
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

As I said, from what I remember of it, the front of the case is the bit that doesn't fit the Caddy but the guy that fitted it was able to swap the Scirocco one with the Caddy one. He then coded it but in your case that won't be necessary as you will be adding your existing circuit board to the aftermarket one.
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

So, finding it difficult to add photos but I’ll try!

Standard 2018 caddy clocks hereImage

With a rear photo for shape purposes

And then a photo of some 2012 scirocco clocks from the back (during my search I’ve seen the scirocco also uses the two different types of plug found in the earlier caddy and the newer blue plug type, also seem to be listed as 1k and 2k, same as mk5 and mk6 golf, further adding to my suspicion that the insides once the cases are removed will all be identical.)

And finally the shape of the scirocco clocks from the front with the digital version side by side. Looking at it I’d say there’s plenty of scope to trim and make it a good fit in the caddy. May never be 100% but I think with lots of patients it could be trimmed to the right size and any edges polished up with 2000,3000,4000 wet and dry paper then polished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk