Rock and roll bed and height

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
RangerD
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Rock and roll bed and height

Post by RangerD »

Does anyone have a rock and roll bed in their Caddy? I am in the process of ordering a Rusty Lee bed, but am wondering if it's actually that comfortable in the seated position and whether there will be enough room for me (I am 6'3" but can squeeze into small spaces!). They look to be about the height of the wheel arch, so it would depend on the pitch of the seat back whether I could fit or not! I may have to spec it even lower.
Pityacker
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Rock and roll bed and height

Post by Pityacker »

Hi mate, just a quick follow up. Did you get the rusty Lee bed? And if so how did it work, have you got any pics?

I’m in the process of converting a SWB with a vangear mini pod and just trying to figure out the bed. The rusty Lee looks a good option.
RangerD
100BHP+

Post by RangerD »

It works really well. Good build quality and amazing price, compared to others. It's only comfy for sitting on in the seat position for short periods, because it's so low to the floor, but that means I have enough headroom. Super comfy to sleep on. It does slam down quite forcefully though, so you have to control it as it comes down. I think this is to do with the low height, it was the lowest one he'd ever done. He'll custom make it to your spec. Just make sure you have enough room for your pod and can get the seats in a comfy position. I'll take some pics and upload them for you
RangerD
100BHP+

Post by RangerD »

ImageDSC_1472 by D Man, on Flickr
RangerD
100BHP+

Post by RangerD »

ImageDSC_1473 by D Man, on Flickr
RangerD
100BHP+

Post by RangerD »

ImageDSC_1476 by D Man, on Flickr
RangerD
100BHP+

Post by RangerD »

ImageDSC_1474 by D Man, on Flickr
Purplemonsta
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Purplemonsta »

I've got a few of Rusty's parts on a T2 including the rock and roll bed.
Well made kit
Caddy bed looks great :D
sendgineer
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by sendgineer »

Bit off topic but how have you fixed the shelf above the barn doors? Looks like a useful bit of space
RangerD
100BHP+

Post by RangerD »

@Sendgineer: The shelf is attached at the sides by l brackets that I bent to the right angle. They are bolted into the fixing points in the van. At the back, it's screwed to a baton that's screwed to the framework in the ceiling.
RangerD
100BHP+

Post by RangerD »

@Sendgineer: on a completely different note; looking at your posts, I spotted that awning on your van. What do you think of it, good? I have been wanting an Arb awning for ages, very expensive!
sendgineer
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by sendgineer »

Thanks for the info - I've already got some rivnuts up there with some extra lashing points so I should be able to work out something similar.

As for the awning, I was actually looking for an ARB awning as well - we had rented a defender with one a couple of years ago.

Problem with ABR is the sizes they offer. Really you want a 2m length for a maxi to span the length of the back. IIRC ARB don't offer that length.
The 4x4 direct version is a direct copy by the looks of it, it's constructed and is set up in the exact same way.

It's been absolutely great for us, nice and sturdy and comes with guy ropes and pegs to secure if it's windy.

The only point I'd made about the 4x4 direct version is they don't come supplied with the ability to zip some side panels onto it - you would have to use the velcro tabs. Not the end of the world but not as neat of a solution as what ARB offers.
RangerD
100BHP+

Post by RangerD »

That's really interesting, thanks for that info. Does it flap about and make noise when you're driving? Shame about the sides though. I have been considering the full room setup.