Covid caddy project

Show off your caddy
Caddy1691
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Covid caddy project

Post by Caddy1691 »

That's exactly what I would like to avoid if I did and want to have both reversing lights, otherwise it looks stupid.
fishynos72
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by fishynos72 »

If you split the lens from the housing and modified the bulb holder tracks you could possible utilize an unused bulb to be twin fog lights and twin reverse. Not something I've looked into, but often VW bulb holders have an unused spot. Just depends if the lens colours would support it.
How many is too many Volkswagens?
DW2207
Hyper Poster

Post by DW2207 »

@fishynos72, have you driven the van since adding the sound deadening foam inserts in the front wheel arch liners, if so does it help with noise reduction?
Had my archliners out today to clean the bodywork behind them. What I did notice was the foam inserts fitted in the top of the front wheel arches. These I feel could be an issue possibly with holding water and maybe causing corrosion later on down the road. It's summer over here in the UK so they were dry for the time being. Couldn't see anything untoward so might be over thinking the matter.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Caddy1691
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy1691 »

I don't think there is a lamp that is unused. I always thought you could code it in such a way that the traffic light could possibly be used for it, but I don't think that's possible 😅

Yes, the foam up there likes to provide moisture and rust later, but if you clean everything regularly, I haven't had any major problems so far.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

@DW2207
As I'm not installing the foam until after the vehicle is painted, I can't personally attest to the effectiveness of the foam. Though others on this forum have had good results.
As this is a factory item on Caddy life spec vehicles, I'd have thought it shouldn't hold water too much. It definitely doesn't feel like a normal foam. It's almost 'slimy' to the touch
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Apologies for the delay.

Here's the video update to go with the latest items on this thread.

https://youtu.be/gfd_uJ5axuc
Simon_B
100BHP+

Post by Simon_B »

Awsome project mate.

What was your preferred cleaning process for the lower arms/uprights mate?.
Mk4 Highline 2.0 TDI.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

First step is always a good scrub. I finished them off in my sandblasting cabinet.

Ideally to get that silky smooth factory finish, I should have gone over them with dry soda, but I ran out of time.
I will probably give them and the subframe the once over in the next few weeks to get the bright finish back on it all.
Simon_B
100BHP+

Post by Simon_B »

Thanks for your reply mate.

Thinking about collecting some alloy subframe/hubs/wishbone over the winter months too.
Mk4 Highline 2.0 TDI.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

The weight difference is significant. Especially on an early car with the cast iron arms.

Later caddy with pressed steel, isn't as big a difference in weight.

It has a lot of other benefits not always obvious too
Caddy1691
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy1691 »

Could you possibly provide the part number of the soundproofing in the A-pillar? I found the picture in the parts program, but no suitable vehicle where this is installed.
Vanmandan
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Vanmandan »

Love this build, so happy to finally see it lowered, looks so good on OEM steels
2015 VW Caddy Maxi 1.6TDI 102BHP
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Thank you.

The ride height is definitely a tipping point between practical mods and something purely cosmetic.

No regrets though
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

I should take this opportunity to update this thread as there's been a lot of 'radio silence' lately on this thread and my YouTube channel.
:!: :!: :!:

Going back to the middle of August, roughly 2 weeks after I lowered the Caddy and installed all nice shiny alloy componentry in the front end, while travelling home from an evening out visiting family, an unlicensed and uninsured driver in a Subaru ran the turning arrow at an intersection and accelerated into the right front corner of my Caddy.
In the aftermath of the accident with the other driver’s family we came to the agreement they would pay for the parts required to repair my van.

After receiving the quote for damaged parts they quickly changed their attitude, and thus have reneged on their agreement to pay for the damages caused.
As a result, the matter was referred to my insurance company and I've been completing the necessary steps in their process to have my claim heard.

The big issues arise because my Caddy is insured 'third party, fire and theft' due to its pre-painted condition, coupled with the other driver driving unlicensed and uninsured, my claim falls under a different policy that limits the payout to a maximum of five thousand dollars if approved.
The parts bill for my Caddy is over double that amount.

Because of how much of the repair won’t be covered by insurance, the funds I had been saving to paint the van will disappear very quickly, all in an effort to get it back on the road.
This has been a devastating blow.

All the work I’ve carried out while the van is off the road follows, it will be the last update I have for some time until the matter with insurance is settled.

As previously mentioned I have had the chance to give the alloy sub frame the same treatment as my alloy control arms.

Because of the tied position of my brake callipers, my flexible brake lines decided to start splitting.
I’ve taken the chance to re-build and replate the callipers for that factory fresh finish.

Here is the front callipers post sand ready to zinc plate.

A friend then sent me a link to a mk3 caddy life being wrecked

As we don’t get the Touran in Australia and anything MK4 Life is usually worth too much money to wreck, this was my only chance to secure an armrest centre consoles, rear quarter trims and sliding door trims.

Unfortunately, due to the era of mk3 life, all these trims are the bright grey. Bit of plastic dye goes a long way

All fitted up.

I do need to modify the other side’s sliding door trim to go on the no sliding side, Not sure how I’ll go about that quite yet.

So very happy with my very shabby armrest console, coming from a mk5 golf it’s the small things you miss in the standard caddy

I’m waiting on the trims for the round holes, a replacement set of rear air vents as they’re missing altogether and eventually to re trim the top of the armrest in leather to match the seating.

If you'd like a separate thread on the topic see the link below

viewtopic.php?t=51197

I will take this moment to thank those on this forum and in this community, who contributed advice and information along the way, without who- I couldn’t have gotten this far.

I was hoping to have the van entered in a large and exclusive car show in final painted condition for February 2023. But having spent my paint funds to repair the damages to the van, the deadline will most likely pass me by. it's a shame as the event is by invitation only and after trying to have a vehicle in the show 3 shows running over the last 6 years it's quite the honor to be invited.

Hopefully my next post is more positive.
Cheers
Last edited by fishynos72 on Thu May 04, 2023 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Obligatory video update to my YouTube series.

https://youtu.be/rzJ24COUzVs