Covid caddy project

Show off your caddy
Caddy1691
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Covid caddy project

Post by Caddy1691 »

Yes, I'm completely satisfied with that, when I finally had time for the wiring harness so that the PDC works again, everything is perfect. The newer taillights would also fit well, but I don't just want to have a reversing light. There's one in front too The bumper is unpainted and I have retrofitted xenon, the rear also remains unpainted and it is after all a commercial vehicle and should remain so. Later I will at most convert the brakes to larger ones, but this is not as easy at the rear as it is at the front.
fishynos72
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by fishynos72 »

I'm currently searching for mk4 taillights myself. I intend to run a mix or RHD and LHD lights to keep the twin reverse lights that my van currently has.

I'm also a fan of the unpainted bumpers.
How many is too many Volkswagens?
Caddy1691
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy1691 »

Yes, the mix of RHD and LHD is appropriate, but you just do without the rear fog light and I have now nowhere found a solution in which the rear fog light is realized differently without installing an additional light like in vintage cars.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

I'll keep an eye out to see what your solution to the lack of fog light is.

Personally I'll just be running no fog light, as our climate here doesn't justify it.
Caddy1691
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy1691 »

I read somewhere that the rear fog light was switched on via the stop light, but I don't really know either. The rear fog light is mandatory in Germany, but you rarely use it, but I don't feel like the lamp failure warning either.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

New covid- caddy YouTube episode is live and online.

https://youtu.be/yzhuaJZxzTs
Caddy1691
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy1691 »

great thing, well done and respect for the transmission and removal without lifting platform.
why didn't you put in the same size brakes?
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Caddy1691 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:29 pm great thing, well done and respect for the transmission and removal without lifting platform.
why didn't you put in the same size brakes?
The brakes are a direct replacement, the only difference being the ATE ceramic compound pads for less wheel dust
Caddy1691
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy1691 »

Yes, that's true and it's actually enough, but a conversion to large at the front and rear would be cooler. Above all, I might finally have seen correct detailed pictures of a conversion to 310mm at the rear.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

I have a mk5 r32 with a full set of Porsche cayenne calipers installed.

While cool and easy enough to do, they limit the wheel sizes I can run. Not to mention they're much more expensive to install.

Caddy1691
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy1691 »

I also converted my Octavia RS to a Golf R. First I had the 345 in the front but my original rims didn't fit, then the 340 came, the saddles aren't that important and it still looks coherent. The 310 in the back, everything fitted without any problems. In the Caddy, the problem is at the back that it's not so easy to plug and play.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Hello all,

We're going to start todays episode of buying things that don't fit.

After securing a quad of 4 front Porsche Macan wheels and tyres this was the frustrating result.

I couldn't even get that diameter of tyre to bolt up onto the rear.

So then I thought I would try 19" Skoda Kodiaq wheels

I like the offset, loved how the tyre size filled the gap nicely.

But then there's this issue.

So there goes that plan. I thought SUV wheels and tyres would be an easy way to get wheels that are correctly load rated.
Guess I'll stick to Golf fitment for wheels and tyres,
Hopefully that's my last entry into the database of VAG wheels that don't fit a caddy.

After all that I went for a 4 hour trip for some air cooled parts and couldn't resist the photo opp.

Then I have this photo.

Showing the results of finally installing the guard brackets that took forever to come from overseas. This simple photo of the bonnet gap is the result of a solid day's farting around adjusting the life out of everything

Since then I felt the urge to go wrecking yard picking

So I now own a full caddy life rear seat setup. I have waged war on my lovely load floor, and am waiting on the front seat bracket to arrive from overseas before I can push on with that.

Before;

During;

I still need to trim the impact load flooring to suit a SWB as this has come from a LWB van.

While I wait for that seat bracket to arrive I, in my infinite wisdom thought it would be a good idea to rip into the only part of the van I haven't really touched.

Before;

During;

* There was several moments of 'what have I done* throughout this

Mostly After

For those playing at home. The support behind the dashboard stays the same- however, you will need the end brackets and glovebox brackets off the MK4 you've taken the dashboard from due to them all being different and/or missing from the mk3 setup

I've ordered a new MK4 gear knob assembly. and a few odds and ends. Though I'm still chasing the part number for the mechanical climate panel as seen on this UK spec van. I couldn't get the vin or part number from the seller. I tried.

I'm faced with the challenge of getting MK4 door cards on MK3 doors. There's several differences, tomorrows mission is to overcome them.

The pile of MK3 grows larger

Despite multiple attempts I haven't been able to give any of it away. The front end panels at least went to scrap. No one wants the plastics though.

How did my van thank me for 2 days worth of toil this Easter weekend?

By springing a coolant leak

I have a very busy tomorrow planned.

I've finished up tonight by building a working black interior light assembly out of 3.

A maddening exercise, that thankfully resulted in a working black interior light.

As a reward for your reading this long post, have another youTube episode of Covid Caddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzGxY4iTbko

See you all tomorrow night. with hopefully some wins under my belt.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Kicked some goals today and made good progress.

Mk4 door cards didn't put up a fight against my drill and Riv-nut tool.

Wrapped with the results.

Then I ripped the front apart again.

Due to this growing wet patch

Only takes 1 little hole

Original Radiator has put up a grand innings of 300,00kms. Plus what looks to be impact damage

Here's hoping I can pick up a new radiator on my lunch break tomorrow. Have it all back together tomorrow night.

List of items needed for the Mk4 swap is a lot smaller now.

*Mk4 5 speed shift knob, boot and trim- Bought and ordered.
* 2x Mk4 door bowden cables- Order tomorrow- here's hoping they work with mk3 latches.
* mk4 mechanical climate trim panel- still have no VIN or number to go off for this one.
* Mk4 instrument cluster- as my the mk3 unit is the wrong shape for the dash. I know I'll need a newer ABS pump for this swap. I need to find someone locally who can match the cluster.
Last edited by fishynos72 on Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy1691
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Caddy1691 »

why do they have to be SUV wheels?
with the dashboard conversion is cool, the radio is that a Discover Media? I would also like to have a more modern one, instead of the original RNS310, but it shouldn't be that easy to get the Discover running.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

For insurance reasons mostly, The wheels and tyres should be load rate suitably for the vehicle.
The Vito steel wheels are thankfully.

The radio is a RCD340+.

You can purchase them with component protection removed.