Jon’s camper/MTB conversion

Show off your caddy
bertie
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Jon’s camper/MTB conversion

Post by bertie »

Smart build

I like your furniture, think I will take some inspiration from you. I want to go down the easily removable route as well.
jono878
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: DIY Maxi camper/MTB conversion

Post by jono878 »

Jonhall wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:45 pm Roof rails from Bragan arrived today: I did also ask my local VW van centre for a quote (just for a laugh really)… They wanted over £600+VAT ImageImage

These were only £100 and the all black look suits the van well I think. The Bragan rails are rated for 80kg (VW genuine ones are good for 100kg), which is more than enough for a roof box or a couple of bikes.

Just need to get hold of some decent locking cross bars now… I assume Caddy Maxi Life bars will be a sensible starting point for my search?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm after some rails I'm guessing these are the ones you bought ? https://www.bragan.net/roof-rails-black ... -2021.html
Jonhall
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Jonhall »

I wouldn’t bother with the Bragan ones - they ended up going back after a lengthy dispute via PayPal.

The quality of the ones I received was utter Image: the rails didn’t align with the threads in the roof and the rubber feet fell apart as I unpacked them.

Bragan refused to accept a return so I had to get PayPal to wade in and resolve.

I’ve since got the Can Auto ones which came bundled with cross bars - have used several times with bikes and roof box and they’ve been rock solid.

https://dstonline.co.uk/vw-caddy-maxi-r ... -15-15-20/

MkIV (2017) Caddy Maxi Highline 2.0TDi 150bhp DSG
jono878
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jono878 »

Do you know what the rails are rated to as it look those the bars are rated to 50kgs?
Jonhall
200BHP+

Post by Jonhall »

From memory, the instruction leaflet said 75kg for the rails. The cross sectional shape seems to accept most roof bars designed for rail fitting: I’ve also used them with the Atera bars from my car with no issue

jono878
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jono878 »

ok cheers, Looks like you just buy the rails on ebay.
Jonhall
200BHP+

Post by Jonhall »

I’ve not done a very good job of keeping this updated with our travels in the van, but I have been updating on Instagram if anyone wants another Caddy in their feed Image

https://instagram.com/cadventurevan?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

One of the jobs I didn’t manage to fit in with the main effort of the conversion was sound deadening and insulating the driver and passenger doors.

Had the door cards off last night and learned that Mk4 doors are apparently very different to Mk3!

I was expecting to find the silver metal inner door panel as shown in various ‘how to’ guides but instead found that the door is effectively one piece… The only access to the internal space is the removable plastic panel that lets you get at the window mechanism.

Not much chance of getting more than a sheet or two of sound deadening in, so I’m glad I didn’t order the materials first… Image

Raph71
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: Conversion campeur/MTB de Jon

Post by Raph71 »

Voici un très beau Caddy Camper !
Je cherche des kits de rideaux à installer sur le mien.Êtes-vous satisfait du vôtre ? Si oui, serait-il possible d'avoir leur référence.
Et si vous êtes satisfait de vos rideaux avant, j'aimerais aussi la référence ! :P
Jonhall
200BHP+

Post by Jonhall »

Merci [mention]Raph71 [/mention]!

The back curtains are from Van-X:

https://van-x.co.uk/cat/default-category-1/curtains-1/

The particular front curtains I bought are no longer available, but these are very similar:

https://www.justkampers.com/just-kamper ... -maxi.html

Sdm2k
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sdm2k »

Looks brilliant! Is the flooring vinyl? I was going to put rubber matting in mine for the bikes. Yours looks like a much nicer option!
Look forward to seeing more :)
Jonhall
200BHP+

Post by Jonhall »

Thanks [mention]Sdm2k [/mention]

The flooring in the back is just heavy-duty household vinyl, held down with trim fix spray adhesive.

Futtock42
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Futtock42 »

Great looking van, love the build. I am doing something similar so taking lots of inspiration.

I have just put two fork mounts in my maxi (haven't used them yet because weather), where did you keep your wheels during transport? Any neat tricks?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jonhall
200BHP+

Post by Jonhall »

Hope wheel bags tucked in beside one of the bikes They’re the only ones I’ve found that will take a 29” wheel with tyre fitted!

Jonhall
200BHP+

Jon’s camper/MTB conversion

Post by Jonhall »

A few updates from the last couple of weeks…

I fitted a dash cam (Garmin Mini) - fairly basic but does what I need it to do! Only a few days after installing it, we had a close shave thanks to a fellow Caddy driver who didn’t use their mirrors…

Reminded me how ‘polite’ (translation: pathetic) the Caddy horn is… might need to look into an upgrade there.

We also logged our first night of the year in the van with a lovely wild camp in the Brecon Beacons, followed by a great day of hillwalking:

And finally got round to sorting out the ‘sink hole’ in the drivers footwell that has been bugging me since we bought the van in 2021!

After reading how tricky it can be to remove the accelerator pedal, I splashed out (£15 Image) on the proper VW tool for the job, which made it a breeze!

As suspected, the insulation matting under the rubber floor had given up on bouncing back (to be expected after 100k miles of someone’s right heel, I suppose). I added a couple of layers of Dodo Thermoliner underneath to bring it level again and took the opportunity to give the area a clean up:

Just ordered some new floor mats to finish the job Image

Evanlhall
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Evanlhall »

Really enjoyed your build thread! Great job mate!