Jon’s camper/MTB conversion

Show off your caddy
GreyLife
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: DIY Maxi camper/MTB conversion

Post by GreyLife »

That looks a great little set up in campervan mode!

Sent from my Nokia G10 using Tapatalk

dotcodotuk
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by dotcodotuk »

@Jonhall - was there a particular reason why you went for a panel van Maxi as opposed to a Maxi Kombi for this build?

Looking to embark on much the same process as you are with a Maxi, albeit just built out for taking bikes up and down the country and have no intentions to use as a camper.

Trying to find a Maxi with a Tailgate and DSG is the hurdle I am currently failing on... plenty of Kombi options out there, but I am not sure I want glass in the back section, where you went the other way and put glass in!
Jonhall
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Jonhall »

Hi [mention]dotcodotuk [/mention], it took us a while to find this one! We probably overpaid as well, but it ticked the boxes for all of our needs and wants so we can’t really complain

We seriously considered a Maxi Kombi: it would have saved us fitting windows ourselves, but in the end decided that the extra seats would be used so rarely that it wouldn’t be worth sacrificing the underfloor spaces (rear footwells in a Kombi) where we’ve fitted the leisure battery and diesel heater etc.

We wanted to make sure that the camper ‘modules’ could be easily removed so kept them free of any electrics, hence the importance of siting them under the floor.

Good luck in your search and subsequent build, it’ll be worth it! Can’t think of a better vehicle for long-distance bike lugging than a DSG Maxi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MkIV (2017) Caddy Maxi Highline 2.0TDi 150bhp DSG
sewi
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by sewi »

That's mad I only now noticed you're rear window is missing the wiper hole. I was searching for one like that and couldn't find one. It is a really nice Caddy for sure just maybe that colour is not the best for camping.
Jonhall
200BHP+

Post by Jonhall »

We really wanted a silver one, or that nice Acapulco blue Hopefully the black won’t prove too hot in the summer!

dotcodotuk
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by dotcodotuk »

Jonhall wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:24 pmWe seriously considered a Maxi Kombi: it would have saved us fitting windows ourselves, but in the end decided that the extra seats would be used so rarely that it wouldn’t be worth sacrificing the underfloor spaces (rear footwells in a Kombi) where we’ve fitted the leisure battery and diesel heater etc.
Ohhh, the Kombi has footwells?! That is seriously useful information, thank you.
Jonhall wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:24 pmGood luck in your search and subsequent build, it’ll be worth it! Can’t think of a better vehicle for long-distance bike lugging than a DSG Maxi
I missed out on my almost perfect van by choice as the seller was being a bit of an idiot, but fingers crossed something will come up soon.

Planning on heading up to Scotland for the next round of the DH WC and wanted to ride some places on the way up!
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

All Caddys have rear footwells. In the van versions they are underneath the floor and this can be opened up when fitting rear seats or you can use them for storage when you move the front seats forward enough to get (limited) access.
Jonhall
200BHP+

Post by Jonhall »

‘Limited’ is certainly the operative word, it was a bugger of a job installing and wiring up the battery and charger (even with the passenger seat removed)!

dotcodotuk
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by dotcodotuk »

dan@biali wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:41 pm All Caddys have rear footwells. In the van versions they are underneath the floor and this can be opened up when fitting rear seats or you can use them for storage when you move the front seats forward enough to get (limited) access.
Something to look out for when I go nosing around my next potential Caddy purchase.

Is it possible to fit a bulkhead in all Caddy variants, or will it only go in the van-type? I have seen reference to needing different trim pieces to fit into a van-type that did not come with one factory fitted, but I was wondering if you could fit one behind the rear seats in a Kombi.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

I don't think there's a factory rear bulkhead for a Maxi/Kombi but the simple solution is to make one out of plywood and carpet the passenger side. Means you can get creative with the design to suit your needs - access panel to slide long luggage/fishing equipment etc through the bulkhead under the seats for example.

The front bulkheads will fit in all variants but if the caddy is a Kombi or Life version where the footwells are open then it won't have anything to bolt to along the floor as there is none (technically it bolts to a ridge along the front edge of the floor).
Jonhall
200BHP+

Post by Jonhall »

I’ve been meaning to update this for a while!

Furniture build is pretty much complete, just waiting for some made-to-measure cushions and covers from a local upholsterers. Really pleased with the slide-out ‘kitchen’ Image

Also found these Vango storage organisers that are meant for tents/awnings. I added some big poppers to wall mount them while also being removable.

Now getting ready for solar panel installation and researching new tyres (fancy something all terrain-ish…)

Jonhall
200BHP+

Post by Jonhall »

Added a Renogy battery monitor: trying to decide if a solar panel is required. Planning to keep an eye on charge levels over the next few trips to see how much of a dent we put in the leisure battery Image

Jonhall
200BHP+

DIY Maxi camper/MTB conversion

Post by Jonhall »

Roof rails from Bragan arrived today: I did also ask my local VW van centre for a quote (just for a laugh really)… They wanted over £600+VAT

These were only £100 and the all black look suits the van well I think. The Bragan rails are rated for 80kg (VW genuine ones are good for 100kg), which is more than enough for a roof box or a couple of bikes.

Just need to get hold of some decent locking cross bars now… I assume Caddy Maxi Life bars will be a sensible starting point for my search?

Last edited by Jonhall on Thu May 05, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pedalrocker
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by pedalrocker »

Nice conversion! I like your camper interior as well as your bike collection :)
dotjalex
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by dotjalex »

I may not be seeing your panel right but it looks like its saying 100% at 12.6v. If so you might need to alter the parameters 100% for an AGM would be more like 13.1v with max discharge being 12.1v, for maximum cyle life anyway. Just wanted to mention as I know a couple of people who have killed AGM batteries not knowing they run at a higher voltage than standard car batteries.
Really liking what you've done with your van, very neatly done. Im planning something similar for my van as a hybrid work/camper van.