Post by rodmax »

Thanks for the link, the wheel looks great :D
EricsCaddy
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (83bhp)

Re: From Rags To Riches: Mk4 project

Post by EricsCaddy »

A lovely big delivery arrived thanks to @Tommyzooom

So today I set about getting some of it installed. I only had one button from the factory for stop/start and the rest were blanks… I’ve got heated windscreen but that’s on the above section.

Removed the airbox, battery and battery tray to get access the ABS pump and wiring. I wanted to add Tyre pressure monitoring and have the option to turn the traction control on and off.

Fed the wires up behind the glovebox and through the oem rubber grommet and connected them up.
Rest went to the bottom to connect to the new buttons and to the body control module.

Coded everything in with VCDS and gave it a quick test, all fitted fine and illuminated… phew!

And when I press the traction button, it switches it off how it should, very happy! Image

To go over the buttons

Park assist - this is connected to a front parking camera (will be shown in future updates)

TPMS - this works to reset the tyre pressures and gives a warning on the dash when pressed as well as a warning if I get a flat tyre

Stop/start - standard on every caddy I think! still works how it should.

ESP - let’s you switch off traction or stability control so great if your wanting to hoon around or in deep snow etc

Heated windscreen - This has been relocated from the top to make room for the heated seat controls and in preparation for future digital controls.
2019 Caddy Highline, Heated screen, parking sensors, cruise, auto lights, virtual cockpit dash, custom blue seatbelts, heated GTE seats, GTE MFSW, climatic, rear camera, discover media nav, oem+ led headlights, GTE tartan doorcards, Audison sound system (project: highest spec highline :twisted: )
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

Continuing on with retrofits I was giving the choice to upgrade from standard A/C to climatic, made sense to do this while parts of the dash were removed and control panel was being swapped for one with heated seats.

Again thanks to Tommyzooom, he supplied me almost everything needed, all I had to do was source the dash sensors and do the work!

Todays task was to fully fit the heated seat harness and climatic wiring with sensors and get coded in.

Quick photo showing the five wires that needed fitting for them both.

New switch panel with heated seat button and additional interior temperature sensors.

The dash air vents had the holes pre-drilled with rubber bung blanks covering them, so was an easy remove blank, push in temperature sensor and twist 90° to clock it in. The footwell sensor didn’t have a hole so drilled one out and cut the groves.

Quick check with Vcds live data and all the sensors are reading correctly. They were all around 24°, so I turned the A/C on and pointed it forward until it dropped below 10, then moved it to the floor and they quickly dropped, perfect!
2019 Caddy Highline, Heated screen, parking sensors, cruise, auto lights, virtual cockpit dash, custom blue seatbelts, heated GTE seats, GTE MFSW, climatic, rear camera, discover media nav, oem+ led headlights, GTE tartan doorcards, Audison sound system (project: highest spec highline :twisted: )
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

Had a busy week so haven’t done much else until this weekend, finished off tidying up on the previous retrofits and started another.

The van came with parking sensors but I also liked the idea of having a rear camera. My other caddy has a camera fitted which works great but doesn’t look the best, it’s the type that replaces the reg light bulb holder so is quite big and bulky and the rain collects on top of it.

First up was to add the adaptor to the wiring harness. I already had the blue plug required so just had to add the pins to pin 6 and 12 then connect back up.

Pulled all the trims off and ran the wire all the way down the side of the van along side the oem harness.

I wanted it tucked away to look as factory as possible so spent extra time getting the wires through the original grommets so its all hidden.

Hard to see as it’s a small flush fit camera, I fitted it just to the right of the rear door lock which is the centre of the van.

Took the live feed from the rear wiper and earth on the back door, connected everything up, connected Vcds and programmed it in, tested, put all the trims on and packed up for the day! probably took around 2 hours all together and cost £13 so a good result for a good retrofit!

Here’s the finished result of lots of retrofitting!
Virtual dash, GTE style steering wheel, heated seats, climatic, traction control, tpms, heated screen relocated and lastly the camera with oem parking sensors Image

Sabbunsingh
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Sabbunsingh »

Awesome job so far. Lots of nice bits on this build.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

V2 front. Mk5 mirrors. Cupra splitter. 8000k Hid. Led side lights and drl. Lowered on mk5 coils and custom shackles. Touran carpet,door cards,plastics,glovebox and seat bases. New caddy steering wheel. Midline cluster. Cruise. Heated mk5 gttdi seats wired and working. Alpine screen. 140 remap. Lots of other little bits.........
fishynos72
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by fishynos72 »

Definitely one of my favourite threads. Thanks for sharing
How many is too many Volkswagens?
DW2207
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by DW2207 »

@EricsCaddy I fitted an almost identical camera to yours. I found getting the camera cable through the rear ns tail gate light loom interesting shall I say.
I think I spent 20mins and a large cable tie and some cable lube before it pulled through. Like you said everything else was straightforward afterwards.
Interesting that your screen interacts with your headunit. Mine came with a centre mirror as a screen. Had to cut two wires. One green for parking lines and one white as I wadnt fitting it on a amarok. I wished mine was £13. Paid £130 as I see it was coming from a vw dealership. Nice bit of kit.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

Ahh yes, from the roughly 2 hour job, getting the cable through the NS harness felt like 1 hour 50 minutes of the whole process! I also used a cable tie to help aid, I was fighting it for a while before I sprayed both sides with WD40 then it flew through :lol: I haven’t cut the green or white line on mine but if I do it flips the imagine around and also adds the parking lines so might do it in the future

Thanks for all the positive comments :D
BenXCIV
100BHP+

Post by BenXCIV »

Your retrofits are beggining to harm my bank account 😅

Does the upgrade to climatic require any coding, or is vcds used simply to monitor/confirm everything works correctly?
I have access to long coding through obd11 which seems to be holding its own so far.
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

Lol yeah the forum should come with a warning about spending money!

It was just a plug and play upgrade for that, no coding required. I just used it to clear faults and use live data to check everything was working and reading correctly.
BenXCIV
100BHP+

Post by BenXCIV »

Ace 👌

Where abouts are the centre dash vent sensor mounting holes? I've had a little look and couldn't see anything. Are they somewhat hidden by the controls/stereo?
weirdscience
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by weirdscience »

Really like this OEM+ look, just taking my 2010 apart, it's surprising just how much of the structure is the same. They didn't update much underneath!
1.9 TDi remappped to 170bhp 284ft/lbs. 18 inch VW alloys.
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

weirdscience wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:27 pm Really like this OEM+ look, just taking my 2010 apart, it's surprising just how much of the structure is the same. They didn't update much underneath!
I think the vans are almost identical chassis wise, most of the Interior is similar and can be swapped between both vans also, I’ve got a 2009 and it’s not much different to that.
BenXCIV wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:40 am
Where abouts are the centre dash vent sensor mounting holes? I've had a little look and couldn't see anything. Are they somewhat hidden by the controls/stereo?
For the dash vent I used the passenger side vent, it already has the correct holes drilled ready for the sensors to be fitted, just twist the blank grommet 90° and it pops out, was two minute job really :D
BenXCIV
100BHP+

Post by BenXCIV »

Where on the passenger vent is it located?

I honestly can't see any bung or hole 😅

Did you take parts of the dash out or something?
EricsCaddy
100BHP+

Post by EricsCaddy »

I removed the glovebox to get access behind the dash to run the wires etc, it was while it was removed I noticed it, it’s on the underside of the air vent pretty close to where the air exists the vent if that makes sense. If your still struggling let me know and I’ll upload some photos tomorrow.