Show off your caddy
Dixieland
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: My story so far....

Post by Dixieland »

Day 2
Oban to Kilbride Campsite (South Uist) via Mallaig CalMac ferry
169 miles - 7h 11m

This was the only ferry we pre-booked with CalMac ferries as without it, the whole road trip could have been a none started really, plus with it being a three and a half hour crossing, we pre-booked the dogs to come upstairs with us rather than spend the whole journey stuck in the car on the car deck with all the car alarms going off.

Strava screen grab of the journey

waiting inline at the Mallaig ferry port

dog pittstop just off the A830 on route to the port

view from the back of the ferry

dolphins to the side....great to see 8)

our private little beach on South Uist :o

Kilbride Campsite, South Uist, the owner was real good craic and toilet/shower block nipping clean. perfect for our first night on the Outer Hebrides
aye it rained a little bit but nothing to write home about and a first chance to see how beneficial the rear tent was
8)
Blackberry Mk3 VW Caddy Maxi Life TDI Camper - My Story So Far
Dixieland
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dixieland »

Feel a bit guilty even posting these updates here and bumping the thread to the top as it's not like i've done a great deal to the van compared to some posts in here which i'm slowly starting to catch up on and are absolutely outstanding so apologies :oops:

Day 3
Kilbride to Clachan Sands (North Uist)
67 miles - 2h 16m

Apparently this is a well known hidden wild campsite and tbf there was a few vans but certainly plenty of space to feel like you're on your own-ish and the weather played ball so must admit, this was a real good find and will definitely return.

Dixieland
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dixieland »

Day 4
Clachan Sands to Lewis Lighthouse (North Lewis) via Berneray to Leverburgh ferry.
127 miles - 4h 32m

This is where we might have skipped things a little to fast but once we hopped off the ferry we just kept driving and before we knew it, we were at the top of the island in really strong wind and sideways rain so missed out all the best bits Harris and Lewis had to offer i guess which is another reason to go back for another look-see :cry:

We did however find a real good campsite up there (The Uncles Croft Campsite) so just hunkered down and let the storm pass......the guy who owned it didn't take any money off us and was nowhere to be seen the following morning so i left 20 quid in a ziplock bag under a plant pot outside his front door so hope he's found that by now. I'm not one to judge but think he may have been slightly eccentric as we stumbled over a stuffed fox and a cash point machine way out on his land......very strange :lol: :lol: :lol:

youtu.be/i4tbHMo4ij8
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Looks like a great adventure you’re having with you’re new van mate. My wife and I not long got back from a week of wild camping around Scotland.
Hopefully your mechanical issues are behind you and you can get on with the good stuff. I’ll be following this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
fazer909
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by fazer909 »

nice trip mate ! ... I had an Triumph Tiger before i got my Caddy and had planned out a trip through the islands ....was going to do it some time in July ... but sold it and got the caddy ..... its still on the cards though ... i live in Glasgow so not really that far to Oban to get across to barra and work my way up then cut across to Skye from north Uist and head back down from there ..... prob gonna do it early next year when its more fixed up :D great post mate :)
Dixieland
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dixieland »

Well, 7 months in and i'm still loving this little van...............i'd call here more often but man it's frustrating being shut out of a lots of the forum due to post count but understand rules are rules :(

I've never been a fan of xmas so tend to disappear which is exactly what me and my dog did last night up to the Snook on Holy Island for a long walk along the isolated beaches and return to base for bacon sandwiches out of the back of the van and just enjoyed a bit of piece and quiet.

Nothing really to report with van issues other than my rear washer isn't working but i'm sure that can't be a major fix and will get onto it asap but other than that, it really hasn't missed a beat even through that last -6 cold snap though so glad I went for the 17" Goodyear Vector 4Seasons rather than going for bigger rims given the places i tend to go......oh and i really, really want to upgrade the headlights :shock:

Anyway Merry Xmas to those that do enjoy the festivities :)

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Another boss trip by the looks of it mate! Have you asked for full access to the forum in the relevant thread? All the info is there mate, you’ll be able to see the lot then

Rescue me from the swans in me
Dixieland
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dixieland »

the swan fiend wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:46 pm Another boss trip by the looks of it mate! Have you asked for full access to the forum in the relevant thread? All the info is there mate, you’ll be able to see the lot then ImageImage

Thanks mate, appreciate it but it's no real biggy tbh and just enjoy enjoying the van at present and keeping a record of my story so far to look back on in my dotage hahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had a flying visit up to Derwent Reservoir on new years day for breakfast and the first sunrise of 2023 which makes getting the van in the first place all worth while, even though i honestly didn't think i'd have it this long but there's something about pulling up somewhere/anywhere and cooking breakfast :o

3rdLeg
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by 3rdLeg »

Enjoying this thread mate, nice contrast to the show vans on here.

Keeps the pics and stories coming!
Jonhall
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

My story so far....

Post by Jonhall »

Great van! Similar to my camper set up with the slide out kitchen - how do you find the Brunner tailgate tent? I’ve been eyeing one up for a while to improve the cooking experience when the weather isn’t great but haven’t found anyone who uses one to ask their opinion!

MkIV (2017) Caddy Maxi Highline 2.0TDi 150bhp DSG
Dixieland
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dixieland »

Jonhall wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:54 pm Great van! Similar to my camper set up with the slide out kitchen - how do you find the Brunner tailgate tent? I’ve been eyeing one up for a while to improve the cooking experience when the weather isn’t great but haven’t found anyone who uses one to ask their opinion!

Cheers mate,

It's absolutely spot on and not sure i could have done Scotland and the Outer Hebrides without it, not just for cooking but just the extra space, it perfect and so easy to put up and take down.

One thing i will add though, to stop wind from coming under the van and into it, i've since made a bib out of a cut down 4 pole wind break that wraps around rear bumper before you put the tent up which basically stops any wind or drafts coming from underneath.

Unfortunately i don't have any pictures of it but will take a couple next time i'm out which will show better what i mean.
Dixieland
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dixieland »

3rdLeg wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:34 am Enjoying this thread mate, nice contrast to the show vans on here.

Keeps the pics and stories coming!
Thanks 3rdLeg 8)

Some of the show vans are incredible and some of the work and effort that goes into them is just mind blowing tbh but yeah, I just wanted something simple that i'm not to worried about damaging to get away in every now and then which this has turned out to be perfect.
Jonhall
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Jonhall »

Thanks for the response Good shout on the under-bumper breeze blocker as well!

I’m off to Skye with the van this spring so will certainly need the extra shelter.

MkIV (2017) Caddy Maxi Highline 2.0TDi 150bhp DSG
Dixieland
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Dixieland »

Jonhall wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:53 pm Thanks for the response Image Good shout on the under-bumper breeze blocker as well!

I’m off to Skye with the van this spring so will certainly need the extra shelter.

Hahahaha, "under-bumper breeze blocker" is the perfect name for when we go into business manufacturing them :lol: :lol: :lol: pmsl

Seriously though, i just got a cheep 4 pole wind break off Amazon and cut the poles and polythene down to size which actually works perfect.

Hey enjoy Skye, will hopefully be heading back up that way anytime soon.
petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by petrev »

:thumbsup:
Great read - thanks for posting your story.

Looking forward to more, and the pics of the famous "under-bumper breeze blocker" ®™
😃