Service light question

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
veedubgub
100BHP+

Service light question

Post by veedubgub »

My service light came on the other week ( spanner symbol with count down miles.)
When it first came on the countdown was showing 6500

Only done a few hundred miles and its changed from displaying the spanner symbol and the countdown, to a single audiable bleep, flashing wrench and no count down milage every time I switch on the ignition.

Any one know why it might have changed and what the new warning means?

Last edited by veedubgub on Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Service light question

Post by the swan fiend »

I think it’s saying the service is due now. When I get my countdown on my 1.6tdi it very often goes down quicker that I do the actual mileage, especially towards the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

It depends on how you drive and how long the engine is running I think.

As an example stuck in a traffic jam for an hour is no miles but the engine has done an extra hour run time.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
veedubgub
100BHP+

Post by veedubgub »

the swan fiend wrote:I think it’s saying the service is due now. When I get my countdown on my 1.6tdi it very often goes down quicker that I do the actual mileage, especially towards the end.

Thats what i kind of thought but was confused that the countdown started at 6500 but then went to 'service due now' after covering only a few hundred miles.

I assumed it would count down the actual miles to zero.

Maybe there's also a record (thats not displayed in the dash) of the date/time the last service light reset was done and it counts down by mileage and also date so that whichever of the two come first cause the display to change to service due now

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

The reset date may possibly be stored in the ECU yeah. I suppose it must be stored somewhere to know when to come back on!
As Scooby said, driving style is a big factor too.

Rescue me from the swans in me
veedubgub
100BHP+

Post by veedubgub »

Scoobysrt wrote:It depends on how you drive and how long the engine is running I think.

As an example stuck in a traffic jam for an hour is no miles but the engine has done an extra hour run time.
Ohhh right

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk