Caddy Sdi with water injection

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
LightxD
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Caddy Sdi with water injection

Post by LightxD »

Hello everyone,
Some days ago I start thinking what could I achieve if I make a DIY water injection system for my lazy SDI.

PARTS LIST:
1.WATER PUMP 5BAR, 12v, 2.2a
2.WATER Tank
3.Atomizer nozzle 0.6mm should be okey or an old injector head I need to test to see which is the best.
4.Electric relay for the water pump
5.Awesome race button

What do you think? Good ideea, bad ideea?
Do you have any advice?
Last edited by LightxD on Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Re: Caddy Sdi with wather injection

Post by Scoobysrt »

Water ;)
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Caddy Sdi with water injection

Post by the swan fiend »

I’m just wondering how much it would cost vs power gains?
Would a 2.0tdi conversion be more effective in terms of bang for buck? Especially if you’re going to do the work yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Re: Caddy Sdi with water injection

Post by C Chis »

Possibly a lot of money and effort for no real power gains for a normally aspirated engine.

However…. Water injection will cool your exhaust gases potentially reducing your emissions as a result of the cooling, possibly improve your mpg(by a tiny amount likely to be <1mpg) for a lot of hassle and money

You’d need to be able to atomise the water in the inlet manifold and adjust the tiny amount depending on engine rpm.

Very unlikely to get/see/feel any power/torque gains as the only gain will be from the water changing state to steam with the resulting potential pressure increase. On the TDI engine with a 50/50 Water/Methanol mix and a good injection system you might see 10-15 HP increase.

There’s a lot of information out there to read if you decide to go ahead with it.

However, after saying the above, it’s a “cool” idea.

Darkside developments have a good write up for turbo diesels https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk ... aq-diesel/

And you might need to factor in using distilled water depending on where you live and the quality of your tap water

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here