Light on dash? Engine

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
MrPhil2022
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Light on dash? Engine

Post by MrPhil2022 »

!!!SUCCESS!!!

Elm OBD 2 - worked great because it allowed me to chose the OBD version..

Procedure for anyone reading this:-

Download but do not open,
Elm Adapter Scanner
Elm OBD 2 Scanner

turn on bluetooth
insert your OBD Adapter into the vehicle
turn on ignition

Check your bluetooth can see and pair to your Adapter

open Elm Adapter Scanner
run a scan and note which versions of OBD your Adapter can use
quit Elm Adapter Scanner
Open Elm OBD 2 Scanner
process through the set-up until you get to the version selector choice screen, you will see a list of versions, select your best choice.
If you have selected correctly your Elm OBD 2 should look select and begin setting up to read data, after a short time the screen will fill with information. From there you

select Error Codes,

Scan then reset!

Job Done

Some of the software names may vary slightly as Im doing this from memory....procedure is correct

thank you so much for all the help

P.S. the error code on mine was P0401
thecolourpurple
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by thecolourpurple »

What does the P0401 OBD-II diagnostic code mean?

Also known as insufficient EGR flow, this particular OBD-II trouble code indicates the engine control module (ECM) has detected the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve is not allowing sufficient flow of recirculated exhaust gases into the engine. At this point, the P0401 error code is set. These recirculated exhaust gases are required in the engine’s combustion chambers to decrease the combustion temperature, reducing the formation of nitrogen oxides. 

How serious is the P0401 trouble code?

A P0401 diagnostic trouble code is considered a moderately serious issue. A defective EGR valve creates excessive ignition/pre-ignition that can cause internal engine damage to the valves and piston. If ignored, it will result in a breakdown, so it is advisable to repair the issue as soon as possible once the EGR issue has been determined. In addition, the ‘check engine’ light will cause the car to fail emission testing from the excess nitrogen oxide gases.

What are the common symptoms of a P0401 code?

If a P0401 OBD-II code is triggered, you can expect the following symptoms:

Check engine light illuminated 

Engine ignition ping or knock on acceleration

Slower acceleration

Failed emissions test from excess NOx

Car diagnostic from £48

What are the causes of a P0401 error code?

There are many causes for the P0401 trouble code activating. The most common are:

Faulty or clogged EGR valve

Low vacuum opening the EGR valve from the EGR control solenoid resulting in the EGR valve not opening all the way

Carbon buildup in the intake manifold

Carbon buildup to the EGR temperature sensor

Defective EGR temperature sensor

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

2014 CAYD 1.6tdi 150bhp, Darkside straight pipe, EGR & DPF delete, Custom cold intake with K&N 571s, 19" wheels, Pioneer/Kenwood & Vibe audio.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

That's great its sorted your scanner issue ungietunatley it seems you'll have to get to the egr and see if the numpty who had it before has indeed clogged it up with grease.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
MrPhil2022
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MrPhil2022 »

I realise I need the work done, it passed the emissions test on the first MOT pass but failed because of the light.
Some of the fixes are doable by myself